Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grange: What is Colangelo's biggest error in Toronto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There have been a lot of mistakes, and some of this has been brought up already but for me it's essentially not having a proper vision. Building a contender is not easy especially in this market, but history clearly proves that there are some key ingredients in building one. You need a back to the basket center, a wing who can create his own shot, role players that know their role, a defensive mindset, and a team that loves to play with each other. And of course an all-star or two.

- The best center he ever got was JV which was a fluke since Cleveland passed on him.
    - He never got a proper wing that could create his own shot.
    - He did well with the role players but that should be the last step in building a contender, IMO.
    - The defensive mindset lasted for one shortened season when they were tanking.
    - With the constant losing, and Bargnani coddling I'm not sure if the team ever really liked each other. Bosh bailed as soon as he had a chance. Turk hated it here (he sucked, but still), and the team has not gotten much respect from anyone.
    - The only all-star on the team was Bosh who was drafted by the previous GM and then left in free agency under his watch.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      It's hard to say anything other than the Mitchell firing. While I believed it was starting to look like Mitchell would never be able to take that team far, as Matt said, it was definitely the start of the coddling Bargnani culture, and the end of accountability.

BUT....to make this more fun, and talk about players, I'm going to go with one name: Jason Kapono.
      A lot of people like to pick on Hedo, but so many people supported that signing at the time after his run with Orlando. I, and others, always questioned it, especially after seeing the late season success that lineup had with Marion, an athletic, defensive-minded, versatile SF. It was so obviously going to be a bust signing.
      So, I pick the Kapono signing. If I remember, we blew our whole mid level on Kapono the season after we broke out with Bosh and won the division. Now, we can debate how good that team actually was, but the way it was built, that should've been a major signing to help make the team better. As BC always does, he overvalued offense. On a team with Parker, Calderon, Bargnani, Bosh (even if he didn't take lots of 3s), and Deflino, he felt he needed more shooters, and a one-dimensional one at that. I honestly can't remember who else was available or what, but that seriously could not have been the best option, considering how much playing time was given to Jamario Moon and Delfino. He basically had more money than he paid Garbo to find his replacement and chose Kapono, when he probably could have found at least a solid glue guy at that price...sigh
      BC had some success in Phoenix, and tried to bring the same mentality to Tdot.

I'd like to think that the Toronto Raptors are still looking for an identity, but we obviously have one. Soft as feathers and pudding, throwing bricks when we need points, figuring how to choke in all the ways possible.

BC bet on Bosh staying, and lost everything. Bosh was an asset that could easily have been traded for some good young talent or a 1st round pick. Furthermore, he let the TPE go. That's unconscionable; and just poor GMing.

His worse mistake was Bargs. BC is a visionary, who has a vision....sticks to his vision....clings to his vision....dies with his vision...and brings down the fan base with him.

Bargs was supposed to be that silky smooth, floor stretching, 7 footer who would complement Bosh, and make us a contender.

After Chris left, Bargs was supposed to be the all-star, who would mesh with Derozan, Valanciunas, Lowry, stretch the floor and allow these others to get the room they need to thrive.

It all sounds so good, theoretically. But reality is what it is.

BC is a visionary, who can't get his head out of his arse to see the reality before his face. That's his problem.

Brian's biggest mistake is being himself.

Comment

Signing Jason Kapono instead of Mickael Pietrus. That simple signing could've been the difference in the summer of 2007. He totally misread why we lost the NJN series, and also failed to add a defensive big man to support Bosh.

Comment

Bargnani.

7 years of bargnani.

Comment

leaving his daddy's nut.

Comment

The biggest mistake by far was hiring jay triano at a juncture where we had one year to be competitive...scott skiles, avery johnson, jeff van gundy, doug collins were just some of the coaches available at the time and we picked probably the worst coach ever...underqualified...had no clue what he was doing

you couple that with Hedo and the fact that it was bosh's last year...that was a killer and honestly stupid

Comment

Colangelo may not have one failure that stands out but he makes many marginally poor moves that consistently degrade the talent on this team.
                Examples?

Trades

Charlie V. >>> TJ Ford (plus 1st round pick) >>> Jermaine O'neal >>> Shawn Marion >>>> Turkoglu >>>> Barbosa >>>>> 2nd rounder
                Net result = two first round picks for a second rounder

First rounder >>> James Johnson >>>> second round pick

Bosh >>>> nothing

Signings

Kleiza 5M/per yr
                Fields 6.6M/per yr
                Amir 5-7M/per yr

He may not have dicked up any one thing that badly, but his body of work is awful when you think of it.

Comment

not getting anything for Bosh. Set us back years.

Comment

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
                    The biggest mistake by far was hiring jay triano at a juncture where we had one year to be competitive...scott skiles, avery johnson, jeff van gundy, doug collins were just some of the coaches available at the time and we picked probably the worst coach ever...underqualified...had no clue what he was doing

you couple that with Hedo and the fact that it was bosh's last year...that was a killer and honestly stupid
                    Doug Collins was available!? Brian Colangelo is officially the stupidest GM in the league. He's top 5 easy

Comment

Accumulations of Errors is the biggest error:

Building team around Bosh
                      Not trading Bosh or getting anything substaintial for Bosh.
                      Drafting Bargnani
                      Hiring Triano
                      trading draft pick (Roy Hibbert) for a broken down JO
                      Signing Turkoglu
                      Overpaying for scrubs
                      Average draft picks - Other then Ed Davis and JV all other picks had better players selected.
                      Believing he can create a Euro style team which then changed to a balanced 2 team unit which then changed to a "defence"
                      oriented team.

I am sure there are others I missed but it seems like Colangelo has been more busy running around and fixing his own mistakes then builiding a winning team.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                        Oh, stop with the hindsight nonsense.... If you can't use hindsight you can never evaluate anyone. Plus, there were plenty of us who thought the Turkoglu signing was stupid. The Orlando GM and SVG were telling everyone the guy was lazy and didn't care and that Portland dodged a bullet. None of that was hindsight.
                        except these are the same guys who traded gortat for turk a year later

Comment

Biggest error = OVERVALUING ONE DIMENSIONAL SCRUBS
                          “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

Not trading Bosh when Bosh had not signed an extension was his biggest error . I remember the Raptors were comfortably placed at 4th(I think) in the East and it seemed right to me but an experienced GM like BC has no excuses for hanging on to him(Bosh). It's to foresee things and make good decisions that he get paid in millions.
                            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

this may have been mentioned by someone else, and if so, please forgive (i'm too lazy/depressed to read 5 pages of what i'm sure are entirely valid mistakes made by our high-collared prince).

for me, there hasn't been any one single move that's tumped all others for 'worst,' but rather, it's been his overall mindset re. building a team, and simply failing to grasp the concept that it's something that takes time. perhaps he was molded too much by what happened in phx after signing nash (the immediate turnaround into contender from laughingstock). for the most part, he always seems to take the approach that he's just a player or two away from the raps being a contender, and that's what has contributed to a good deal of his moves that have backfired (kapono signing, JO trade, marion trade).

but hey, at this point, you could pretty much hang every transaction he's made on the wall & fire darts. ball don't lie.
                              TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

Fonzi wrote: View Post
                                There have been many mistakes, but perhaps the biggest was drafting Bargnani over Aldridge.
                                In the end, clearly this was the biggest mistake. I wanted Bargs...I remember the extreme agitation from someone in our group at the draft party at not taking Aldridge. I have since conceeded a total lack of scouting ability on my part.

Or Gay. Add Aldridge or Gay to Bosh and things might well be very different right now. That's the one move that drastically changed the fortunes of the franchise. JO, Smitch, Turk, none of those guys have nearly that kind of impact.

Comment

Working...
                                X