Quote Zewo wrote: View Post
And of those 60 games, we'd have to win about 36 - 40 games to get an 8th seed. The Raptors aren't going to play .600 ball the rest of the season unfortunately, may as well try to develop the young players (tank).
It makes sense in theory to tank but there are some issues with that.

The only pick they have in the 2013 draft is 1-3. If they fail to make the playoffs (which they will) and if they don't win the lottery (ie, move up in the draft) they lose their pick to OKC. If they continue to lose, then the typical reward that most losing teams get (ie, a high draft pick) could be gone. So the losing may be for nothing.

The idea of developing our young players makes sense, but Casey proved last year that he wants to win every game. So he will continue to play his vets. When Anderson is healthy, he will use him a lot. Jose will get a tonne of minutes as usual. Gray will probably get his fare share of minutes as well. So the idea of developing young players makes sense, but it won't really happen with Casey as the coach as he proved last year.

If the Raptors do get a top 3 pick in 2013, then they could lose the pick in 2014 - which most agree is going to be a much stronger draft. Even a top 3 pick in 2013 could be a low lottery pick in 2014. So it might make more sense to lose the 2013 pick and give that to OKC now so that we would not have to worry about losing the 2014 draft pick.

That is why this year has been so frustrating. I personally do not want to see a tank. I want to win. The ideal situation for me would be to be ranked #9th.. ie, just miss the playoffs so the pick goes to OKC. OKC would get a pretty bad pick (13th/14th) and we'd get to keep our pick in 2014 and beyond.

The way things are going though, I wouldn't be surprised if we missed the top 3 and ended up giving OKC the #4 pick. So unlike last year, I really want the Raps to win as many games as they can - and its super frustrating to see them lose.