Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Raptors have a chance at the #1 pick and it's a weak draft?

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Zewo wrote: View Post
    And of those 60 games, we'd have to win about 36 - 40 games to get an 8th seed. The Raptors aren't going to play .600 ball the rest of the season unfortunately, may as well try to develop the young players (tank).
    It makes sense in theory to tank but there are some issues with that.

The only pick they have in the 2013 draft is 1-3. If they fail to make the playoffs (which they will) and if they don't win the lottery (ie, move up in the draft) they lose their pick to OKC. If they continue to lose, then the typical reward that most losing teams get (ie, a high draft pick) could be gone. So the losing may be for nothing.

The idea of developing our young players makes sense, but Casey proved last year that he wants to win every game. So he will continue to play his vets. When Anderson is healthy, he will use him a lot. Jose will get a tonne of minutes as usual. Gray will probably get his fare share of minutes as well. So the idea of developing young players makes sense, but it won't really happen with Casey as the coach as he proved last year.

If the Raptors do get a top 3 pick in 2013, then they could lose the pick in 2014 - which most agree is going to be a much stronger draft. Even a top 3 pick in 2013 could be a low lottery pick in 2014. So it might make more sense to lose the 2013 pick and give that to OKC now so that we would not have to worry about losing the 2014 draft pick.

That is why this year has been so frustrating. I personally do not want to see a tank. I want to win. The ideal situation for me would be to be ranked #9th.. ie, just miss the playoffs so the pick goes to OKC. OKC would get a pretty bad pick (13th/14th) and we'd get to keep our pick in 2014 and beyond.

The way things are going though, I wouldn't be surprised if we missed the top 3 and ended up giving OKC the #4 pick. So unlike last year, I really want the Raps to win as many games as they can - and its super frustrating to see them lose.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

At the start of the season, I'd agree with you, finishing just out of the playoffs would've been the best bet, showing some internal growth with the prospect of more growth. But with the way this season has turned out, I don't really care how they play anymore. The season is clearly over, I wouldn't say tank on purpose, but definitely give the young guys some minutes to see what they can do.

This sounds crazy, but I also hope that they do give away the pick to the Thunder this year (regardless of position, as this isn't a deep draft apparently), so we can tank the 2013-14 season in earnest, and get Wiggins. (Wiggins!)

Post Thanks / Like

There's another possibility: getting our pick back. Don't get me wrong, if I'm Sam Presti I'd treat that pick like gold right now, but only because you assume it would be in the 4-10 range. If we get the 1-3 pick and don't have someone we'd LOVE to draft at that spot, then put together a deal that involves us giving them that pick (i.e., a pick that is in fact BETTER than they thought it would be) and get our pick back.

That sounds a little weird, but it would work once we know for sure this year's pick is ours.

Mind you, this only makes sense if we commit to a full rebuild, meaning that we are "tanking" next year by focusing on developing the young guys -- plus hopefully trading away most of our quality vets for youth + picks (vets that are there as mentors, like Magloire last year, can be kept). If not, we'd likely end up with a much worse pick next year.

I haven't checked the quality of the next two drafts, but I'd guess a 1-3 pick this year would be better than an 8-10 pick next year. So blow it up, get our pick back, and pray for Wiggins.

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm already mentally preparing myself to land the #4 pick. It really seems inevitable.

As far as a weak draft. I wouldn't worry. They say that a lot. It was supposed to be weak one two years ago but that brought Irving, Leonard, K Thompson, Faried, Knight, Walker, and JV (just off the top of my head).

What does kinda suck also is that the top 3 prospects right now are a SG and two C's. Something the Raps don't really need. But a lot will change in the coming months.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Ed Davis wrote: View Post
    He's great defensively, but unfortunately not very good offensively.
    He's brutal at the line, also. Still he is the obvious number one pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    He's brutal at the line, also. Still he is the obvious number one pick.
    Definitely not the "obvious" #1. Not yet. But he does have the obvious #1 haircut in the draft class.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

give the pick to okc this year, do whatever it takes to get Wiggins in a Raps uni the year after. It's the only way out of this mess. To be relevant you absolutely need a superstar talent in the NBA and there are none in this years crop.

I used to be a big supporter of the age limit but now it's dooming us to suck a lil longer.
    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Employee wrote: View Post
    It was supposed to be weak one two years ago but that brought Irving, Leonard, K Thompson, Faried, Knight, Walker, and JV (just off the top of my head).

That qualifies as a weak draft. Other than Kyrie it's a bunch of decent role players in your list.
    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Sounds familiar? The raptors probably have there best chance of winning the lottery since? Yes since 06. It's funny how this happens. I feel like if we get the #1 pick. It has to Shabazz Muhammad! When Andrea doesn't play we play D. We just need another dynamic offensive player. Shabazz is the only one in this draft.

Way too early to predict....wait till March and March madness to better assess top prospects.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say that his the best prospect but, I feel that he is the best offensive prospect. That's what we need now ppl that can put the ball in the basket.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote minks77 wrote: View Post
    That qualifies as a weak draft. Other than Kyrie it's a bunch of decent role players in your list.
    Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Pop says he's planning on building around Leonard after his big 3 go downhill.
    Faried could lead the league in rebounding in a couple years.
    Raps are pretty much building around JV until unless someone better comes along.
    Thompson could end up being the 2nd best player on that playoff team (if he isn't already).
    Walker will be one of the best PG's in the league.
    And Knight is too early, could be a role player.

And they're all only one year in still. Tons of room for improvement.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic Starter imaginelino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just our luck as well, the next draft after we blow this season will feature Toronto Native Wiggins, hailed as the closest thing to Lebron. All eyes should be on that draft, and Raptors have to pull out all the stops to secure a top pick in that draft.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote imaginelino wrote: View Post
    Just our luck as well, the next draft after we blow this season will feature Toronto Native Wiggins, hailed as the closest thing to Lebron. All eyes should be on that draft, and Raptors have to pull out all the stops to secure a top pick in that draft.
    If he is as good as they say, they already have their pick secured for him regardless of what happens this year. Pick is protected top 2 next season.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Employee wrote: View Post
    Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Pop says he's planning on building around Leonard after his big 3 go downhill.
    Faried could lead the league in rebounding in a couple years.
    Raps are pretty much building around JV until unless someone better comes along.
    Thompson could end up being the 2nd best player on that playoff team (if he isn't already).
    Walker will be one of the best PG's in the league.
    And Knight is too early, could be a role player.

And they're all only one year in still. Tons of room for improvement.
    you are just validating my point. 1 Star in KI and a bunch of complimentary pieces.

Kemba isn't going to be one of the best PGs in the L. Rondo, Kyrie, Rose, Lillard, Curry, CP3, DW followed by Lawson, Lowry, Holiday. Theres a reasonable top ten for the next 5 years.

Leonard may be a key building block but he's not a transcendent star like Timmy is.

Is Klay really the 2nd best player on that team? He's had a very up n down season so far and is he really better than Lee or does he have more to offer than Barnes? Will he maintain that perch once Bogut is finally healthy again?

By saying it's a "weak" draft I think they just mean it's not an '03 style draft with loads of "can't miss" super star talents available.
    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote minks77 wrote: View Post
    you are just validating my point. 1 Star in KI and a bunch of complimentary pieces.

Kemba isn't going to be one of the best PGs in the L. Rondo, Kyrie, Rose, Lillard, Curry, CP3, DW followed by Lawson, Lowry, Holiday. Theres a reasonable top ten for the next 5 years.

Leonard may be a key building block but he's not a transcendent star like Timmy is.

Is Klay really the 2nd best player on that team? He's had a very up n down season so far and is he really better than Lee or does he have more to offer than Barnes? Will he maintain that perch once Bogut is finally healthy again?

By saying it's a "weak" draft I think they just mean it's not an '03 style draft with loads of "can't miss" super star talents available.
    Ok Ok I hear what you're saying. I agree all those guys I listed may not be franchise players but all of them have a good chance of being an all star. Those drafts like in '03 happen so rarely. I don't think it's happened since then. How many times does a draft happen and people are saying more than one person is a definite franchise player? Not too often.

Also sometimes in takes a few years before people realize that a player can be a franchise type to build around (K-Love, Nash, Rondo, etc).

I know Wiggins is supposed to be the next LBJ, but man when people say we should be trying to get him (and Im not saying you said that Mink) ? Two more years of tanking? It's not like it's so easy to get a team to trade for a top pick next year. Every team is gonna want this guy.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldnt mind 2 years of tanking to get Wiggins.

Derozan in his 6th, Ed in his 5th, JV and Ross in their 3rd, and Wiggins (LBJ) as a rook.

DAMN.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Post Thanks / Like

In fact we should focus on doing what Cleveland did and grab 2 picks in the top 5 for the Wiggins draft.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    I wouldnt mind 2 years of tanking to get Wiggins.

Derozan in his 6th, Ed in his 5th, JV and Ross in their 3rd, and Wiggins (LBJ) as a rook.

DAMN.
    And Andrew Harrison as the 2nd in those top 5 picks!
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Rookie Ed Davis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Watched Anthony Bennett play tonight. Very impressive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    And Andrew Harrison as the 2nd in those top 5 picks!
    2 top 5 draft picks is asking a lot, and involves another tanked season but I am sure it is possible.
    If we can keep our core and still draft twice (involving one for Wiggins), we will find ourselves with an incredibly balanced team, age wise, and talent wise.
    We could be lethal if it happens, and maybe for the sake of future raptor fans, we need to take that route.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information