Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors have a chance at the #1 pick and it's a weak draft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

minks77 wrote: View Post
    That qualifies as a weak draft. Other than Kyrie it's a bunch of decent role players in your list.
    Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Pop says he's planning on building around Leonard after his big 3 go downhill.
    Faried could lead the league in rebounding in a couple years.
    Raps are pretty much building around JV until unless someone better comes along.
    Thompson could end up being the 2nd best player on that playoff team (if he isn't already).
    Walker will be one of the best PG's in the league.
    And Knight is too early, could be a role player.

And they're all only one year in still. Tons of room for improvement.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Just our luck as well, the next draft after we blow this season will feature Toronto Native Wiggins, hailed as the closest thing to Lebron. All eyes should be on that draft, and Raptors have to pull out all the stops to secure a top pick in that draft.

Comment

imaginelino wrote: View Post
        Just our luck as well, the next draft after we blow this season will feature Toronto Native Wiggins, hailed as the closest thing to Lebron. All eyes should be on that draft, and Raptors have to pull out all the stops to secure a top pick in that draft.
        If he is as good as they say, they already have their pick secured for him regardless of what happens this year. Pick is protected top 2 next season.

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
          Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Pop says he's planning on building around Leonard after his big 3 go downhill.
          Faried could lead the league in rebounding in a couple years.
          Raps are pretty much building around JV until unless someone better comes along.
          Thompson could end up being the 2nd best player on that playoff team (if he isn't already).
          Walker will be one of the best PG's in the league.
          And Knight is too early, could be a role player.

And they're all only one year in still. Tons of room for improvement.
          you are just validating my point. 1 Star in KI and a bunch of complimentary pieces.

Kemba isn't going to be one of the best PGs in the L. Rondo, Kyrie, Rose, Lillard, Curry, CP3, DW followed by Lawson, Lowry, Holiday. Theres a reasonable top ten for the next 5 years.

Leonard may be a key building block but he's not a transcendent star like Timmy is.

Is Klay really the 2nd best player on that team? He's had a very up n down season so far and is he really better than Lee or does he have more to offer than Barnes? Will he maintain that perch once Bogut is finally healthy again?

By saying it's a "weak" draft I think they just mean it's not an '03 style draft with loads of "can't miss" super star talents available.
          LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post
            you are just validating my point. 1 Star in KI and a bunch of complimentary pieces.

Kemba isn't going to be one of the best PGs in the L. Rondo, Kyrie, Rose, Lillard, Curry, CP3, DW followed by Lawson, Lowry, Holiday. Theres a reasonable top ten for the next 5 years.

Leonard may be a key building block but he's not a transcendent star like Timmy is.

Is Klay really the 2nd best player on that team? He's had a very up n down season so far and is he really better than Lee or does he have more to offer than Barnes? Will he maintain that perch once Bogut is finally healthy again?

By saying it's a "weak" draft I think they just mean it's not an '03 style draft with loads of "can't miss" super star talents available.
            Ok Ok I hear what you're saying. I agree all those guys I listed may not be franchise players but all of them have a good chance of being an all star. Those drafts like in '03 happen so rarely. I don't think it's happened since then. How many times does a draft happen and people are saying more than one person is a definite franchise player? Not too often.

Also sometimes in takes a few years before people realize that a player can be a franchise type to build around (K-Love, Nash, Rondo, etc).

I know Wiggins is supposed to be the next LBJ, but man when people say we should be trying to get him (and Im not saying you said that Mink) ? Two more years of tanking? It's not like it's so easy to get a team to trade for a top pick next year. Every team is gonna want this guy.
            Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

I wouldnt mind 2 years of tanking to get Wiggins.

Derozan in his 6th, Ed in his 5th, JV and Ross in their 3rd, and Wiggins (LBJ) as a rook.

DAMN.
              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

In fact we should focus on doing what Cleveland did and grab 2 picks in the top 5 for the Wiggins draft.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                  I wouldnt mind 2 years of tanking to get Wiggins.

Derozan in his 6th, Ed in his 5th, JV and Ross in their 3rd, and Wiggins (LBJ) as a rook.

DAMN.
                  And Andrew Harrison as the 2nd in those top 5 picks!

Comment

Watched Anthony Bennett play tonight. Very impressive.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      And Andrew Harrison as the 2nd in those top 5 picks!
                      2 top 5 draft picks is asking a lot, and involves another tanked season but I am sure it is possible.
                      If we can keep our core and still draft twice (involving one for Wiggins), we will find ourselves with an incredibly balanced team, age wise, and talent wise.
                      We could be lethal if it happens, and maybe for the sake of future raptor fans, we need to take that route.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                        2 top 5 draft picks is asking a lot, and involves another tanked season but I am sure it is possible.
                        If we can keep our core and still draft twice (involving one for Wiggins), we will find ourselves with an incredibly balanced team, age wise, and talent wise.
                        We could be lethal if it happens, and maybe for the sake of future raptor fans, we need to take that route.
                        I think the best thing for the Raptors management to do is to try and win every single game possible. That is the only way to achieve a top draft pick. If they purposely try to get #1, they are likely to select 8th.

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
                          Ok Ok I hear what you're saying. I agree all those guys I listed may not be franchise players but all of them have a good chance of being an all star. Those drafts like in '03 happen so rarely. I don't think it's happened since then. How many times does a draft happen and people are saying more than one person is a definite franchise player? Not too often.

Also sometimes in takes a few years before people realize that a player can be a franchise type to build around (K-Love, Nash, Rondo, etc).

I know Wiggins is supposed to be the next LBJ, but man when people say we should be trying to get him (and Im not saying you said that Mink) ? Two more years of tanking? It's not like it's so easy to get a team to trade for a top pick next year. Every team is gonna want this guy.
                          I hear ya. Being terrible for another 2 years would be painful as all hell and that still wouldn't guarantee anything. The 2014 draft is shaping up nicely would but another late lotto pick, or anything out of the top 3 really help turn this franchise around?

You're also very right about drafts like the '03 one being rare with only the 84 (MJ/Stockton/Dream/Barkley) draft and maybe the 96 (Kobe/Nash/AI/RayRay) draft beating it out. Maybe a better example of deep drafts (but not once in a generation) would've been the '98 Draft (Pierce/Vince/Dirk/ Jamiseon), 2001 (JJ/PGasol/TonyP/Arenas) or '95/99. The main point being that in a good draft year you have a shot at more than one franchise guys and multiple all star or near all star level players and theres talent beyond the lotto. A weak draft class is one with more questions than answers, few to no franchise guys and more projects than sure shots.

I wish they would figure out a better college to pros system that would allow guys to see were they may be drafted or even get drafted but still stay in school. Too many guys come out each year not ready and it really dilutes the draft and overall talent level of the league. 2014 has some definite one n done guys in Wiggins and Jabari Parker (both of whom are next level elite talents according to the current scouts) and guys like Andrew Harrison, Noah Vonleh and Julius Randle who look very good early on. Only guy I can name off the top of my head in 2013 is Shabazz and I think that's more for his name than his game.

I really hope we fall out of the top picks and it goes to OKC. Maybe we could trade them something to get our pick back? Perk/Maynor +#1 for Jose/Ed+#2?? money and contract lengths and an overabundance of 1st round picks already on the team would be OKCs motivator and Ed would arguably be a poor mans Serge while Perk is overpaid...just sayin
                          LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Shabazz had 25 point 4ast 2rbs 8/14 FG 3/6 3FG 6-6 FT last night in 26 mins
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                              Shabazz had 25 point 4ast 2rbs 8/14 FG 3/6 3FG 6-6 FT last night in 26 mins
                              We're winning now, who cares? We'll end up with the 4th pick anyways!

Comment

Working...
                              X