Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playing 3 Rookies at once. Good or bad idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing 3 Rookies at once. Good or bad idea?

I Don't know if this is a second post or not as I tried posting this before but it never showed up so here goes again. If this is the second post, please remove one of them. Thank you.

Here goes: So a lot have been made about starting three rookies at the same time, however Golden State is proving that it is not always a bad idea. They currently have the second best road record after the Spurs. And it was one of their rookies, that stunned the Head last night with .07 seconds left. http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400278034. They are also the most improved team in the West for 2012-2013.

Is this because of Good coaching, a good GM, teamwork or all of the above? What are they doing that we are not other than winning games of course. There were much talk about following the mold of OKC, now are we to start following the role of GSW? I know it's still early in the season, but you cannot deny the fact that they are playing great basketball. Coin toss or not, we could have maybe selected Barnes, and he would be sitting on the bench because Casey & BC wouldn't play him along with JV.

And would he have thought Barnes would be enough to start and not picked up Fields?

Your thought please. Curious mind would like to know!

Good idea .

Comment

Depends who your rookies are....

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
        Depends who your rookies are....
        An abundance of youth is not the problem.

A lack of talent is.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

A lack of talent is.
          Granted, but would you not agree that if Ross, Ed and maybe even Quincy had more playing time sooner than later, things could have been different now? That's not including all the gaffs that Casey has made with his substitutions.

Comment

Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
            Granted, but would you not agree that if Ross, Ed and maybe even Quincy had more playing time sooner than later, things could have been different now? That's not including all the gaffs that Casey has made with his substitutions.
            Maybe, depending what are you goals for the season.

If your ahem unrealistic goals of still making it to the playoffs then giving those guys lots of minutes especially during crunch time may not be such a good idea because they are still finding their own game and will be schooled by savvy vetran players. JV is only playing starting centre out of default because the Raptors do not have a good enough starting centre in the lineup anyway.

If your goal is not to make the playoffs and gut the team then maybe you should give those players heavy minutes and playing through their mistakes. However those players need to still have somewhat of a short leash and be accountable for their mistakes which was the mistake in dealing with Bargnani as his first rookie year in the league. Smitch wanted to give him a very short leash but Colangelo did not and who know's maybe for Bargnani it would have been good to earn these minutes by playing basketball the right way instead of being trigger happy as he is today.

Comment

JV and Ross are not finished products. Our roster is so poor, that it's easy to think they are options as starters.

My bet is that 3 rooks will increase your liability. Clubs in this league exploit weakness, and between 3 of them on the floor, you can pick and choose who to burn.
              Last edited by BasketballCrush; Thu Dec 13, 2012, 05:23 PM.

Comment

A lack of talent is.
                Don't say that to Colangelo.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Let us not forget that these are the suckasses who sat almost their entire starting lineup the last month of last season so they could swoop down and take Harrison Barnes from us. F*ck Them.

Comment

Gman wrote: View Post
                    Let us not forget that these are the suckasses who sat almost their entire starting lineup the last month of last season so they could swoop down and take Harrison Barnes from us. F*ck Them.
                    Encourages me to blow it up even more. Especially considering 2014 draft.

Unprotected firsts and/or right to swap in 2014 in exchange for the worst contracts money con buy.

Comment

Rookies lack focus. That is clearly our biggest problem right now.

Comment

IF we had tanked the way we were supposed to tank...we could have either had D Lillard or Harrison Barnes instead of T Ross ...and in hindsight Lowry or fields.......Casey is to blame for this ...what has the winning culture he gained at the end of the season last year gained us exactly.....oh that's right a 4-19 eff'n start. He should be the 1st assistant tops and he should only be allowed to coach defense sometimes I even wonder about that.....he plays Gray instead of Val .....Still mind boggled as how JL 3 see's the court as much as he does a shooting PG that cant shoot or pass Dribbles 2.0......and T.ross The shooter who cant hit shots Over grown John Lucas.....this team is in big trouble. Cant wait for tomorrow when full rosters are available because Mr. high Collar needs to pull a rabbit out his hat to fix team this BAD 0.o

Comment

Who is the 3rd rookie starting for the Warriors? I only see two.

If the talent was there I'd have no issue with starting 5 rookies. I think Ross could start, doesn't mean we'll start winning but I don't see any reason not to right now. It's not as though Pietrus is lighting the world on fire. Acy can't start. He shouldn't even be in the NBA.
                          your pal,
                          ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                            Who is the 3rd rookie starting for the Warriors? I only see two.

If the talent was there I'd have no issue with starting 5 rookies. I think Ross could start, doesn't mean we'll start winning but I don't see any reason not to right now. It's not as though Pietrus is lighting the world on fire. Acy can't start. He shouldn't even be in the NBA.
                            I like just one of DeRozan or Ross starting long term. The other would make a really nice 6th man. But I'm still waiting for that all-star SF so what do I know? lol

Comment

I like just one of DeRozan or Ross starting long term. The other would make a really nice 6th man. But I'm still waiting for that all-star SF so what do I know? lol
                              Long term yes, only one of them should be starting. But in a throwaway season like this, I see no reason why Pietrus, Kleiza, Lucas, Anderson or Fields should get more minutes than Ross. The way I see it, as long as Ross is hustling on the job and working his tail off (which he seems to do anyway), he should be starting or getting starter-like minutes. I think you give Ross as much time as he can muster. He'll probably hit the rookie wall and you'll have him coming off the bench by game 50-55 anyway.

Same goes for Jonas, who Casey seems to like to bench initially for foul trouble but later on (why?) in the game for no apparent reason at all? I'm sure he has reasons that fans aren't privy to, but really just give the guy minutes unless he's majorly screwing it up out there.
                              your pal,
                              ebrian

Comment

Working...
                              X