Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ed Davis a top ten power forward?

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ed Davis a top ten power forward?

From Tim Chrisolm

Did you know that Ed Davis was leading the Toronto Raptors in PER? After spending two seasons hovering around the league average, Davis has jumped up to a 20.8 rating early this season, and that has put him in the top-ten amongst NBA power forwards. That means that Davis has a higher Player Efficiency Rating than Kevin Garnett, Zach Randolph, Paul Millsap, Kevin Love and Serge Ibaka - the next five guys on the list.
    http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/tim_chisholm/?id=411593

He goes on to point out the limited minutes and how Ed needs to prove himself in heavy minutes now but it is a pretty good stat. More evidence pointing to Ed Davis as the future of the Raps at power forward.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Regardless of this with exteneded Minutes Ed Davis should be a double double guy for us most nights which is just awesome. What more is there to say but LET ED PLAY!

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Who cares?? Bargnani is our guy!!
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Raptors Republic Starter omgsomuchpotential's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A 13th overall pick gone terribly right.

Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A player that by all accounts was almost moved.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, right....we'll see how he does with starter minutes. Hopefully he thrives, I'll just be happy if he averages 10 and 10. I don't know if that makes him a top 10 PF, but really it just makes him above average PF statistically. Ed still makes some mistakes, and he's also still way too small to play his game, which is all around the basket, for 82 games as a starter. But if he plays decently, and learns what it'll take for him to reach a higher level, it could pay off big time next season...if he's still here.

Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hoping Ed takes the opportunity and runs with it. That being said the names that are mentioned after him takes the whole top 10 PF out of the equation. If Ed plays hard and is focused night in and night out that's enough for me. Consistency is what has plagued this franchise.

Raptors Republic Starter hotfuzz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No, we should stick with bargnani come hell or high water :P
    "Duh! Winning"
    - Charlie Sheen

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm ready for anyone other than Bargnani.

Good luck, ED.
    "You don’t know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

I love Ed Davis, always been a supporter. BUT, I really don't want to trade Amir Johnson either.

See ya later Primo!

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, let me think about this....

Post Thanks / Like

But seriously, this is the guy many were writing off last year and were willing to trade for other teams' stashed doodoo. PER is also overrated in my opinion.

His 12 rebounds didn't surprise me at all yesterday. But his offensive game looked a lot better, and his confidence to take those shots was impressive.

Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He has instincts you can't teach. Very accurate around the basket. Lots of guys that don't have the talent start off looking like gariatrics driving to the hoop. The kid makes it look effortless in traffic, with a lot of plays making you scratch your head on how he got his fingers on it.

A top PF is a PF that can score even though you know the ball is going to him. Bosh was capable of that. Ed Davis is a very productive power forward, but lets see him against starters before we get too excited. Also his consistency has improved this year, would like to make sure its legit.... lets see if he can maintain it.
    Last edited by BasketballCrush; Thu Dec 13th, 2012 at 07:14 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

All right, small sample size. Let's not get too carried away and then throw this kid under the bus once defences starts to figure out his game.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    All right, small sample size. Let's not get too carried away and then throw this kid under the bus once defences starts to figure out his game.
    That is what TO fans do. Andrea December 2011 cries for All-Star appearance fast forward 2012 people happy he is hurt and hoping for amnesty. The roller coaster of emotion on this site is amazing reminds me of high school... For the record was a high school was a blast! lol

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    The thing is I'm not sure his game is "figure-out-able". The majority of his points are either second-chance or just him driving into defenders and shooting over them where they can't contest it. It's not like he has a go-to post move (like JV's running hook) that teams can gameplan against. That's sort of what has impressed me about him this year. He very much plays by 'feel' around the basket.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote jrdyck wrote: View Post
    The thing is I'm not sure his game is "figure-out-able". The majority of his points are either second-chance or just him driving into defenders and shooting over them where they can't contest it. It's not like he has a go-to post move (like JV's running hook) that teams can gameplan against. That's sort of what has impressed me about him this year. He very much plays by 'feel' around the basket.
    I think he's really wiry in a good way. Still favours the left side a lot more than the right (in my observation). Developing a mid-range game will be a great asset. I'm still more concerned about him protecting the paint rather than his scoring.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote jrdyck wrote: View Post
    Ive gotta disagree with you there. His game (at this stage) is pretty simple. He either has a 10-12 foot jumper from the left side (that still looks a little ugly .. but to his credit goes in a decent amount) or he dribbles middle (again starting from the left side) and the spins back baseline and goes off glass. And, for the record, this is the first year that he had either of those (or any) offensive move that was consistent.

Dont get me wrong .. I think this guy should be playing the majority of the minutes on our team at PF. Hes playing WAY better than he ever has and he plays hard and rebounds well. But, lets be clear .. if he puts up a couple of games with 20+ points, teams will absolutely figure out his tendencies. PER is an extremely misleading stat for lower minute guys. Its pretty good for starters who play heavy minutes .. but is consistently flawed for low minute guys (see Amir a couple years ago)

Bottom line - I hope Ed does well .. but I dont have a lot of confidence in his offensive game, given how long its taken him to find 2 NBA moves that work for him.

Raptors Republic Starter japetas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He got back his headband - that's why he started to play better. He should learn to pump fake and drive to the basket (like Valanciunas sometimes do) to become real offensive threat, not only score after Jose's pass or lefty hook shots from the post. And of course he should get the ball more and improve his positioning on D.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Yeah, right....we'll see how he does with starter minutes. Hopefully he thrives, I'll just be happy if he averages 10 and 10. I don't know if that makes him a top 10 PF, but really it just makes him above average PF statistically. Ed still makes some mistakes, and he's also still way too small to play his game, which is all around the basket, for 82 games as a starter. But if he plays decently, and learns what it'll take for him to reach a higher level, it could pay off big time next season...if he's still here.
    wow, finally a bright spot on the team and you are taking that away from up fans looking for something to cheer for! Good one!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information