Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do we want to trade Jose again?

Hybrid View

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why do we want to trade Jose again?

Jose has looked amazing in a starters role so far and with Andrea out we have a good defensive group behind him to make up for when he gets beat. Right now I would much rather see Jose extended and running this team long term than Lowry and Bargs.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

and he wants to be here in Toronto (hint bargnani). You could tell he was having a blast during the post-game interview as well, nice to see a player enjoying to play

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We cannot extend him at 10 mil, thats for sure.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Post Thanks / Like

for Calderon I would do 3 years @ up to 18 million with a fourth year team option

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I would do a 6 MIL/Year deal,

Would Calderon?
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    Yeah I would do a 6 MIL/Year deal,

Would Calderon?
    I think he would, since we all know he will never feel as welcomed as he has been in T.O. And he has seniority and a chance to retire and play his entire career as a Rap. The first to do so if I am not mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

#extendJose

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, extend Jose if he accepts his backup role, and limited minutes. Because when Kyle Lowry comes back I think we have to stick with him as our true starting point guard, at least for now.

It's funny how 2 weeks ago everybody wanted him out since it was supposedly impossible to make them both play together, but now, after a couple really good games with Jose as our starting point guard, we want him extended again.

Anyway, I'll keep saying that if he accepts less money and less minutes, we can't get a better backup point guard, who's that much of a leader.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

we might as well extend alan anderson and sign him to a big deal.. he did have 24 points tonight, our new go to guy..

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't necessarily being serious. But honestly, Jose has been FAR better at the point than Lowry this season. Lowry hasn't run the team well at all.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote KHD wrote: View Post
    Wasn't necessarily being serious. But honestly, Jose has been FAR better at the point than Lowry this season. Lowry hasn't run the team well at all.
    Maybe because Lowry's only managed to play in Casey's system for 13 games while Calderon has gone through it for about a season and a half now.

Sounds fair?

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    Maybe because Lowry's only managed to play in Casey's system for 13 games while Calderon has gone through it for about a season and a half now.

Sounds fair?
    That's a good point. Calderon is also very familiar with the tendencies of players like Amir and Ed. Lowry has also been injured. And Lowry is a different kind of point guard. He not only needs to get acquainted with the other players, but the other players also need to get acquainted with him. (Nevertheless, I'm not convinced he's better for the team than Calderon except for his age, but that opinion can easily change.)

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    That's a good point. Calderon is also very familiar with the tendencies of players like Amir and Ed. Lowry has also been injured. And Lowry is a different kind of point guard. He not only needs to get acquainted with the other players, but the other players also need to get acquainted with him. (Nevertheless, I'm not convinced he's better for the team than Calderon except for his age, but that opinion can easily change.)
    No debate that Calderon makes other players around him better. But if you look at Calderon's 8-year career, he only went to the playoffs twice, back to back, during the 206-2007 and 2007-2008 seasons. And the weird thing is, both those times, he wasn't the starting PG. It was TJ Ford. Can we conclude then that Calderon does makes his teammates better, but they perform as good even when Calderon is not playing with them? Probably. And this is where my biggest issue with Calderon is, for him to be able to be productive, the players around him need to be productive.

IMO, Lowry works both ways. He has the ability to feed off his teammates and be able to get his own shot as well. And sad as it may be, thats how the NBA is now. You need your point guard to be able to score and distribute the ball at the same time. And by score i dont mean just jacking up jumpshots and 3s, but be able penetrate, keep the defense guessing. Calderon is good, not doubt about it, but he is unable to take this team to the next level no matter who he plays with. Can Lowry? Maybe or maybe not, but we've already seen what Calderon can do so its time to give somebody else a chance.
    Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Mon Dec 17th, 2012 at 03:42 PM.

Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Trade him while he has value, he is not coming back next year.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

this is crazy, he goes off and everyone is loving him.. Jose is a backup point gaurd unless its on a team like miami where they have 2 superstars.. #josesucks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote JB5 wrote: View Post
    this is crazy, he goes off and everyone is loving him.. Jose is a backup point gaurd unless its on a team like miami where they have 2 superstars.. #josesucks

Post Thanks / Like

False. The people who like him tend to post supporting comments after he has a strong game. This is because sports fans live in the moment and are generally unable to see the bigger picture. It is much easier to rag on a guy when he is having a rough stretch. This jekyl and hyde act Is actually one of the most entertaining things about this website IMO.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Very much agree.

What success has Toronto had with Jose as the starter? Anyone?

Jose is playing great but the way he has been treated by organization and his quotes make him as good as gone this summer.

Oh yeah, his age and continued play in international competition combined with injury history is the white elephant currently in the room.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Very much agree.

What success has Toronto had with Jose as the starter? Anyone?

Jose is playing great but the way he has been treated by organization and his quotes make him as good as gone this summer.

Oh yeah, his age and continued play in international competition combined with injury history is the white elephant currently in the room.
    You mention all the time the lack of succes the Raptors had with Calderon. That's too easy for me. There are many good players that didn't have succes with their team when the talent around them (and/or the coaching) just isn't good enough. It's only the great players that can lift teams to another level. Aldridge can't lead the Blazers to a good record alone (and he has arguably more talent around him than in Toronto), Kevin Love couldn't win without Adelman and Rubio (and they have yet to prove that they can now) to mention just a few players a lot of people would love to have in Toronto. Correlation doesn't equal causation.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    You mention all the time the lack of succes the Raptors had with Calderon. That's too easy for me. There are many good players that didn't have succes with their team when the talent around them (and/or the coaching) just isn't good enough. It's only the great players that can lift teams to another level. Aldridge can't lead the Blazers to a good record alone (and he has arguably more talent around him than in Toronto), Kevin Love couldn't win without Adelman and Rubio (and they have yet to prove that they can now) to mention just a few players a lot of people would love to have in Toronto. Correlation doesn't equal causation.
    Jeez, the lack of success the Raptors have had with Calderon is very difficult for me.

There are three constants in Toronto the last 7 years: Bargnani, Colangelo, and Calderon. They should all go so the franchise can move forward. Jose is not the only problem but he was predominantly the starting point guard so he does have his fair share of the responsibility.

For the record, I would love nothing more than to see Jose continue in Toronto as a backup after this season. There is no question he is a good player but he is not a difference maker as your post implies.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information