Window of Opportunity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window of Opportunity?

I was perusing hoopshype.com when I found out that the Nets are desperately trying to snag Ilyasova from the Bucks. I figure this could be an opportunity for the Raptors to jump in as a third party and deal essentially anybody on the team but Ed, JVal, DeRozan or Ross. I think this could end up being what we were looking for.
    Milwaukee is also awkward at point with both Ellis and Jennings possessing starter-quality talent, could we jump on this? What are your thoughts Raptors Nation?

If Nets want Ersan ... and we're the 3rd team, that means we would have something Milwaukee wants - and covet an attainable piece on Brooklyn. I only see that happening if Nets would part with G-Force, and Milwaukee wants Bargs ... ??
    I think Monta and Jennings are alright together right now, but that's me.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Restricted free agents who were retained by their original teams can't be moved until January 15th, so this is a month away from fruition even if the reports of Brooklyn badly wanting Ilyasova are true.

If the report is accurate than it could potentially open up some opportunities for the Raps if Milwaukee is looking to make a larger scale deal. I think it will depend on how the Bucks next 15-20 games go; If they are still in the playoff picture in a month then I wouldn't expect them to strip down the whole thing. If they've come back to earth in that time then maybe they look at moving Jennings before he hits free agency this summer. He would seem to be the Raptors number one target in any deal involving Milwaukee, which would in turn make Lowry available for a trade.

Maybe the Bucks bring Lowry in as part of the deal - on the surface he seems to be more of a Scott Skiles type player - but that doesn't really solve their undersized backcourt issue. It could just make Lowry expendable in a separate deal, possibly as part of a package that sheds the team of Bargnani's contract.
      Last edited by Fully; Mon Dec 17, 2012, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Ilyasova cant be traded till Jan 15, so i think the Nets interest is a litte premature.

I also dont see what the nets have to offer the bucks, Brooks would almost certainly have to be included.

As for the raps, we already have a guard that puts his head down and tries to do it himself, what on earth would we do with two?Although we do have a knack for stacking redundancies on our roster.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post

Maybe the Bucks bring Lowry in as part of the deal - on the surface he seems to be more of a Scott Skiles type player - but that doesn't really solve their undersized backcourt issue. It could just make Lowry expendable in a separate deal, possibly as part of a package that sheds the team of Bargnani's contract.

This. Although you could argue that lowry is the better defender... not that he has necessarily shown it so far this year. And if we arent shoring up the defense at the point, one could argue that you should have someone that can run a team. And I'm not saying thats Jose, but there arent a whole lot of options out there.

Comment

Another "Window of Opportunity" I would see is Paul Millsap in Utah. I have that there are some problems there with him and Utah. I don't know any details and rumors a rumors right? But I think that a Bargs and LK (whom I have nothing against) for Paul Millsap and Raja Bell (Who has a pain in the butt contract in Utah for the rest of the year at 3.8M-ish dollars) Could work out for us. Utah also needs more depth at the SF spot and LK could help there. I am not to sure how Bargs would fit in there, but he is sort of similiar to Millsap with the fact they are both 4s that stretch the floor and hit/shoot three balls here and there. I kinda think that this could be a smart move. What are your thoughts?
            Last edited by mike, prague; Mon Dec 17, 2012, 04:54 PM.

Comment

I feel Millsap would be a perfect fit in Toronto for long term gain. I'd much rather have Jonas paired up with someone who has a clue.

Comment

mike, prague wrote: View Post
                I think that a Bargs and LK (whom I have nothing against) for Paul Millsap and Raja Bell (Who has a pain in the butt contract in Utah for the rest of the year at 3.8M-ish dollars) could work out for us. Utah also needs more depth at the SF spot and LK could help there. I am not to sure how Bargs would fit in there...
                Not well at all, I'd say. Even WITHOUT Millsap their front court is better than ours, with Jefferson, Favors, and Kanter being anywhere from exceptional to solid.

Their weakest position looks like SF, followed by backup PG, then SG. We we are FAR from ideal trade partners. Calderon or one of the SGs that we are not likely to want to give up (DD or Ross) would be the best we could offer, and that's assuming they'd want to resign Jose, I think. Because if not, Millsap and Bell have expiring contracts anyhow, so if they'd rather have the cap space they should just keep their guy (unless the backup PG position is hurting them more than I know of).

A multi-team deal could work, though.

Comment

The only thing I'd be interested in from BK or Milwaukee is picks

I'd go after Millsap for sure though.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I don't like either Ellis or Jennings at the point for us if that was somehow what was involved in the deal. MIL doesn't have anything else to offer, and I'm not sure we'd get from the Nets that'd be of any use. I don't know how Raps fans who hate lack of focus and intensity can want Jennings, who disappears for a good chunk of games every season. Really I just don't see much of anything on either team that we'd want, nor that they'd want from us.

Comment

Here's how I think we COULD get Millsap:
                      http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cwuea2v

TORONTO
                      INCOMING: Millsap, Ridnour
                      OUTGOING: Calderon, Kleiza

MOTIVATION: Should be obvious to us, but we get a great player (and great fit) in Millsap, and a capable replacement for Calderon in Ridnour.

MINNESOTA
                      INCOMING: Gasol
                      OUTGOING: Pekovic, Ridnour, Barea, Derrick Williams

MOTIVATION: Everyone on the above list, other than Pekovic, is expandable now that Rubio is back (and with the Russian duo playing well). And Gasol is a big improvement over Pekovic, and would tell Kevin Love that the organization is serious about winning now.

LA LAKERS
                      INCOMING: Calderon, Pekovic, Kleiza
                      OUTGOING: Gasol

MOTIVATION: Get a HUGE upgrade at PG (which they DESPERATELY need), get a solid boost to their front court depth (with Pekovic), and flexibility with Kleiza, who can play the 3 or 4. And they clean their books BIG TIME.

UTAH
                      INCOMING: Derrick Williams, Barea (possibly a pick from Minnesota)
                      OUTGOING: Millsap

MOTIVATION: They would have to like the idea of Williams at the 3, but given who they have, that sounds like anywhere from a big to a massive improvement. Barea will help add depth at PG, where the drop-off after Mo Williams seems huge at the moment. And both of the guys they are getting back are on reasonable and long(ish) term contracts. A pick could come their way from Minnesota to sweeten the deal.

---------

This may not be perfect, but I honestly think that it is a solid framework for a deal that works for all the parties involved. I'd say that the winners of the trade would be (in order of biggest to smallest winners):
                      1. MIN
                      2. LAL
                      3. TOR
                      4. UTA

Hence Utah would be the ones getting a pick, if need be.

Mind you, this would make our front court even more crowded, but maybe we can find a taker for Amir or Bargs. If not, I'd say that we amnesty Bargs, give Ed all the backup minutes at PF, and Amir could split minutes with JV.

How realistic do you guys think this deal is, at least as a framework, and would you do it if you were Colangelo?
                      Last edited by LC009; Mon Dec 17, 2012, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Bigs

We don't need bigs. We have enough already , JV, ED, AMIR, AB(shudder).
                        We don't need to trade Jose unless it is to reward him with a playoff contender.
                        We don't need to baby players. Earn your time, don't base it on contract size.

We need a management that holds players accountable. AB and Kleiza are what they are- if they hit their shots early , ride them, if not BENCH them. Same with AA way shoots way to early and often for a journeyman.

BB is a game played best by attacking the basket. The second unit should remeber this and understand why they are on the 2nd unit.

Comment

kuzzybear wrote: View Post
                          We don't need bigs. We have enough already , JV, ED, AMIR, AB(shudder).
                          We don't need to trade Jose unless it is to reward him with a playoff contender.

We need a management that holds players accountable. AB and Kleiza are what they are- if they hit their shots early , ride them, if not BENCH them. Same with AA way shoots way to early and often for a journeyman.

BB is a game played best by attacking the basket. The second unit should remember this and understand why they are on the 2nd unit.

Can some one tweet this to casey and the rest of his assistants(if they have twitter)0.o

Comment

kuzzybear wrote: View Post
                            So in your opinion, the only reason to trade Jose is to a contender to reward him? Well I'm glad you're not running the team. The only reason to trade anyone on the roster is to improve your team. If trading Jose gets you a valuable asset in return, then you trade him, regardless of the other team. I'd trade him to the Washington Generals if it got us a good player or pick. Your soft stance on player movement kind of contradicts your firm (and very valid) stance on player roles and playing time.
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                              So in your opinion, the only reason to trade Jose is to a contender to reward him? Well I'm glad you're not running the team. The only reason to trade anyone on the roster is to improve your team. If trading Jose gets you a valuable asset in return, then you trade him, regardless of the other team. I'd trade him to the Washington Generals if it got us a good player or pick. Your soft stance on player movement kind of contradicts your firm (and very valid) stance on player roles and playing time.

HAHA do you believe the ish some of these T.H.Fans (kuzzybear) write I'm glad you put him in his place before I did cheers
                              0.o

But I do like the other stuff he wrote just that part he kinda had a brain cramp

Comment

Working...
                              X