Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

David Aldridge's take on Bags and Calerdon and the potential trade rumours.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Aldridge's take on Bags and Calerdon and the potential trade rumours.

"Gasol has been thrown out there for weeks, most notably in a potential deal to Toronto for Bargnani and Calderon, each of whom fills definite holes in the L.A. roster -- a stretch four and a legit point who could spell or replace Steve Nash. But despite a lot of smoke, there doesn't appear to be any fire, at least at the moment.
    The Lakers, according to league sources, remain adamant that they want to see Gasol and Nash together and healthy before making any final judgments on whether to move Gasol and the $37.2 million left on his contract extension. They believe that Gasol, while not being a classic stretch four, can work in D'Antoni's system. For their part, D'Antoni and his players think the same thing (see above).
    According to the invaluable Mark Deeks at Sham Sports, Gasol also has a 15 percent trade kicker on the remainder of his deal. Normally, that would mean a team would have to cough up an extra 15 percent of the remaining amount of the contract to the player in order to do a trade. But, as Deeks pointed out to me Monday afternoon, trade kickers cannot push a player's salary above the maximum salary allowed under the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
    Players with 10 or more years of experience, such as Gasol, have a maximum salary allowed this season of $19,136,250, or 35 percent of this season's $58.044 million salary cap. Gasol's salary this season is already $18.7 million this season. So if he were to be traded, his trade kicker would only be allowed to get him up to the $19.136 million max, but not higher. So he wouldn't get the full 15 percent kicker.
    The Raptors, sources say, are leery of taking a flier on yet another international player, despite Gasol's obvious and longstanding talents. GM Bryan Colangelo has gone this route before, remember -- signing Jorge Garbajosa, drafting Bargnani, signing Hedo Turkoglu -- and even though Gasol would fit in with just about any team, including, most assuredly, the 7-19 Raptors, Toronto isn't ready to pull the trigger.
    Besides, Bargnani's torn elbow is expected to keep him out another month, making a deal for him unlikely until he returns. The same goes for Calderon; with starter Kyle Lowry (torn triceps) out for a while, the Raptors have to keep Calderon, in the final year of his contract, around. (He also has a trade kicker, 10 percent.)
    But if a Lakers deal for Bargnani isn't in the cards, league sources are convinced the Raptors will eventually move him somewhere. "Bryan is going to move him, no doubt," a rival GM said Sunday evening.
    Colangelo said Sunday that he was not under the gun to win this season from the team's new owners, even though the Raptors got Lowry from Houston this summer -- after an unsuccessful courtship of Steve Nash -- precisely because they wanted to jump-start their team's performance this season, feeling a legit point guard would help the likes of DeMar DeRozan and rookie center Jonas Valanciunas.
    "We're not going to bow to pressure," Colangelo said. "That pressure is obviously something that's important to all of us, because we play a game that's based on pressure. Hopefully we respond to the pressure. We're not going to make any quick, rash moves."
    (If Calderon is dealt, my guess is it won't be for Gasol, or for any player, but to a team that can send Toronto a pick back and create a huge $15.6 million trade exception for the Raptors.)"

- DA from NBA.com
    Buschfire

Raptors fan since day 1.

Bags and Calerdon

Comment

Sig wrote: View Post
      Bags and Calerdon
      Haha i saw that too. Those are good nicknames for them

Comment

Keep Calderon, not a single back-up point guard better than him, I would consider acquiring from a trade. I was originally a huge supporter of this, but seeing how key Calderon has been for this team this season, and how great of a player he's been for the franchise, not letting him go.

Not to mention, Gasol won't ever be back at the health he once was in during their championship runs...
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Give Calderon the keys to the season. He is the best player to get all his teammates going and that's what is lacking (aside from the last two wins) is good chemistry . And his comments last interview was admirably. Even the players want to suck him off. They love him and trust him. He wants this to be his team and I ll take his effenciency and leadership over Lowry at this point. Lowry I'm just too unsure what he can do. I see Mike James (upgraded version).

Comment

imaginelino wrote: View Post
            Give Calderon the keys to the season. He is the best player to get all his teammates going and that's what is lacking (aside from the last two wins) is good chemistry . And his comments last interview was admirably. Even the players want to suck him off. They love him and trust him. He wants this to be his team and I ll take his effenciency and leadership over Lowry at this point. Lowry I'm just too unsure what he can do. I see Mike James (upgraded version).
            So how long have you been watching the Raps to not know we seen this Dribbles before ironic in enough in a contract season stop your brown nosing and look at the bigger picture he has been here for 8 years and what has that amounted to for the raps exactly?! and he is not a True pro if he was he would be consistent with his numbers coming of the BENCH ...but instead he sulks and plays like shit until Lowry goes down and then its Calderon for mayor ...like Dribbles is a decent back nothing more....stop sucking him off like he is the second coming of Steve Nash .0.o
            Last edited by Jkwasia; Tue Dec 18, 2012, 11:49 AM.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
              Keep Calderon, not a single back-up point guard better than him, I would consider acquiring from a trade.
              eric bledsoe?
              Last edited by Joey; Tue Dec 18, 2012, 11:40 AM. Reason: Fixed "[/Quote]"
              TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

Jkwasia wrote: View Post
                So how long have you been watching the Raps to not know we seen this Dribbles before ironic in enough in a contract season stop your dick riding and look at the bigger picture he has been here for 8 years and what has that amounted to for the raps exactly?! and he is not a True pro if he was he would be consistent with his numbers coming of the BENCH ...but instead he sulks and plays like shit until Lowry goes down and then its Calderon for mayor ...like Dribbles is a decent back nothing more....stop sucking him off like he is the second coming of Steve Nash .0.o
                You know.. if it weren't for all the idiotic "sucking his dick" talk (which I would kindly ask you to refrain from, please and thank you), you might actually have a decent post here.
                But instead you just make yourself sound like a tool.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                  You know.. if it weren't for all the idiotic "sucking his dick" talk (which I would kindly ask you to refrain from, please and thank you), you might actually have a decent post here. But instead you just sound like a tool.
                  But aren't you aware that anyone on the internet that disagrees with you is clearly sucking dicks?

Jokes aside, you may as well just delete comments with that kind of nonsense in them.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    You know.. if it weren't for all the idiotic "sucking his dick" talk (which I would kindly ask you to refrain from, please and thank you), you might actually have a decent post here.
                    But instead you just make yourself sound like a tool.

I guess this is family oriented site right 0.o
                    p.s if you want people to not call others rude things maybe you shouldnt refer to someone as a tool you think?! #Clown 0.o
                    Last edited by Jkwasia; Tue Dec 18, 2012, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Jkwasia wrote: View Post
                      I guess this is family oriented site right 0.o
                      Nope. Just Respect oriented.

Comment

Despite all the felacio related talk, there is a very valid point in this thread that the Jose supporters seem to forget. We've had him for 8 years and have won nothing. I don't care how well liked a player is, if he hasn't shown that he can get your team over the hump, then you move him. He isn't getting younger or better.

Jose as a back-up is fine. Jose at $9M isn't fine. His expiring deal is one of the few assets other teams would actually want from this team, so we need to sell high.

Other than Jose, can you honestly say we have a tradable asset that other teams would potential covet? (Assuming that JV is untradable and that Lowry isn't being dealt)
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

yertu damkule wrote: View Post
                          eric bledsoe?
                          Agreed.
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

yertu damkule wrote: View Post
                            eric bledsoe?
                            Bledsoe is having a great year. However, I could see Bledsoe turning into Darren Collison 2.0 for them.
                            ie. Play behind CP3 for a year. Prove that you're too good to be a back-up. Get moved to help convince CP3 to stay. Turns out you're only so-so as a starter.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                              Despite all the felacio related talk, there is a very valid point in this thread that the Jose supporters seem to forget. We've had him for 8 years and have won nothing. I don't care how well liked a player is, if he hasn't shown that he can get your team over the hump, then you move him. He isn't getting younger or better.

Jose as a back-up is fine. Jose at $9M isn't fine. His expiring deal is one of the few assets other teams would actually want from this team, so we need to sell high.

Other than Jose, can you honestly say we have a tradable asset that other teams would potential covet? (Assuming that JV is untradable and that Lowry isn't being dealt)

LOL its "fellatio" but I should have used that instead eh? ...and yes Raps need to sell high 0.o

Comment

Working...
                              X