Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Playoffs?

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    1,524
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Playoffs?

    Time for another hopelessly optimistic thread!

    We are 6 and 19 and it looks like we may have started to turn a corner (at least that's what my over reacting, boderline bipolar raptorfan brain is telling me). Our next 6 games are:

    @ Cleveland
    Detroit
    Orlando
    @ San Antonio
    @ New Orleans
    @ Orlando

    Realistically, with the way we are playing, there is no reason we can't go 5 of 6. So that brings us to 11 and 20. To get to .500 on the year we would have to then go on to win 30 of 51 games, which is a tall order but could be doable.

    In conclusion, the Raptors are making the playoffs this year. They are going to sweep the Knicks in the first round enroute to the franchises frist ever Eastern Conferance final appearance where we'll go 7 close games with the eventual champion Miami Heat. BOOK IT!
    Last edited by hateslosing; Mon Dec 17th, 2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: french word used in both languages
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,692
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    oh boy
    @jerboat

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    1,524
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Merge with Panagnos'? Or just close, it's all good.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default


  5. #5
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    1,969
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Playoff?

    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,854
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    just want to add we are 2 games over 500 the past two games. if this trend continues we should finish with about 63 wins on the season.

    in the east one good steak can grab you that 8th spot

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Starter imaginelino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    251
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hey I'm sure we all played out a similar story in our heads. A reason why we keep tuning in. This one be the first time a team came roaring back from a dismal record. Odds are quite stocked against us. Most likely wont happen but yes there is a chance, Would be nice to witness it. And it was a while back where Antonio Davis lead us to a crazy finish where we won like 15 of 18 to squeak in the playoffs, McGrady showed his stuff as he was the best player on the team while Carter sat out.

    Still to early to put the rally caps on. This stretch will determine it. And we have already been let down many times already.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    18,983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Raptors are not making the playoffs, in my opinion, but that does not have to mean the season is a waste.

    Keep playing like they are (essentially like last season). Develop the system and make the core buy in.

    Trade anyone not named JV, TR, DD, ED, or KL should the right deal come along.

    Still think Toronto should be exploring taking on the worst deals in the league for picks or opportunity to swap picks likely to be lottery picks. Forget financial flexibility for 2-3 summers.

    If Casey can keep them playing like they have the last 2 games, they may not be a lock for the playoffs but they are not a bottom 5 team either.

    Hopefully send a 10-14 pick to OKC this year and get that noose off the neck.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,758
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    Time for another hopelessly optimistic thread!

    We are 6 and 19 and it looks like we may have started to turn a corner (at least that's what my over reacting, boderline bipolar raptorfan brain is telling me). Our next 6 games are:

    @ Cleveland
    Detroit
    Orlando
    @ San Antonio
    @ New Orleans
    @ Orlando

    Realistically, with the way we are playing, there is no reason we can't go 5 of 6. So that brings us to 11 and 20. To get to .500 on the year we would have to then go on to win 30 of 51 games, which is a tall order but could be doable.

    In conclusion, the Raptors are making the playoffs this year. They are going to sweep the Knicks in the first round enroute to the franchises frist ever Eastern Conferance final appearance where we'll go 7 close games with the eventual champion Miami Heat. BOOK IT!
    Love your optimism. Not gonna happen. What have you been smoking ?

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It's too early to say. Kyle is coming back in a few more days. We'll see what happens with Ed and Kyle in the line-up. Playoffs is achievable but unlikely. We dug our own graves with a 6-19 start.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Should we try and lasso Jeremy Lamb or PJ3 from OKC? so much wasted potential there.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,731
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Raptors are not making the playoffs, in my opinion, but that does not have to mean the season is a waste.

    Keep playing like they are (essentially like last season). Develop the system and make the core buy in.

    Trade anyone not named JV, TR, DD, ED, or KL should the right deal come along.

    Still think Toronto should be exploring taking on the worst deals in the league for picks or opportunity to swap picks likely to be lottery picks. Forget financial flexibility for 2-3 summers.

    If Casey can keep them playing like they have the last 2 games, they may not be a lock for the playoffs but they are not a bottom 5 team either.

    Hopefully send a 10-14 pick to OKC this year and get that noose off the neck.
    I dont agree with trading for picks and taking on crappy deals but i do like the idea of playing our ass's off and end up with 30 - 35 wins and letting OKC have a shit pick. Then next year we go ham and make the playoffs, sounds good to me
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

  13. #13
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,958
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    is this a tenforthwin thread? am I being punked?

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jurassic Park
    Posts
    2,926
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Raps will not make the playoffs but in my opinion they should go 5-1 in these next 6 games. Cavs, Magic, Detroit, Hornets. All VERY WINNABLE games.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    18,983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    I dont agree with trading for picks and taking on crappy deals but i do like the idea of playing our ass's off and end up with 30 - 35 wins and letting OKC have a shit pick. Then next year we go ham and make the playoffs, sounds good to me
    Why? What has Toronto done with cap space and financial flexibility? Who says crappy deals have to play? Say the current squad makes the playoffs next year, how deep will they go?

    Talent is still an issue. The only difference now is guys are buying in to the system.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kitchener
    Posts
    608
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Why? What has Toronto done with cap space and financial flexibility? Who says crappy deals have to play? Say the current squad makes the playoffs next year, how deep will they go?

    Talent is still an issue. The only difference now is guys are buying in to the system.
    Matt I'm with you on this. I'm all for taking on salary as long as there is some sweetener in the deal like young talent or draft picks. Last thing I want TO to have is cap space and financial flexibility.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,547
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RAPresenting wrote: View Post
    Matt I'm with you on this. I'm all for taking on salary as long as there is some sweetener in the deal like young talent or draft picks. Last thing I want TO to have is cap space and financial flexibility.
    You keep pulling this wagon, 'cause I'm jumping on board. I just want the players with the bad contracts to be marginally useful and entertaining. Guys who looked great for a year, got signed to ridiculous deals, and who will continue to play hard, but just not be very good. And Bargs has to go for one of the deals.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kitchener
    Posts
    608
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    You keep pulling this wagon, 'cause I'm jumping on board. I just want the players with the bad contracts to be marginally useful and entertaining. Guys who looked great for a year, got signed to ridiculous deals, and who will continue to play hard, but just not be very good. And Bargs has to go for one of the deals.
    If the player is useful I'll be over the moon happy to be honest. If the sweetner is worth while we're going to need to take it on the chin with a bad deal. Someone like Biedrins, Jefferson, Boozer, Walton, Shawn Marion, Charlie V, Prince, Gasol, Blake, Duhon, Gay (talent going out), Mike Miller, Udrih, Gooden, Amare, Perkins (Something worth while), Hedo, Harrington, Frye, Salmons, Garcia, Jackson, Bell and Okafor. Some of those guys can play and some of them can barely walk. Those are the types of names I'd expect to see a sweetner attached to or could be had for a reasonable price. BC and flexibility dont mix well.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,547
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    As bleak as things may seem, I'm not ready to write off the playoffs. And this isn't inspired by this 5 game win streak. Remember, I'm the guy who predicted last month that we would go 4-11 over our last 15 games (we went 6-9), so I'm a realist. The east is full of teams like the sixers, bucks, pacers, bulls, celtics etc. Not teams worse than us but middling teams that are just beating eachother on any given night. If they keep plodding away at win one/lose one, there may be a way to sneak in. Stay tuned. We still haven't proven we could beat those teams yet.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •