Nets Might Go After Colangelo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nets Might Go After Colangelo

That would blow hard, but this might be the biggest challenge for Colangelo and I could see him bite and take the opportunity. To build a team from the bottom and eventually try and take it to the top.

No one is sure how dramatic of changes that Prokhorov will make within the franchise, but this march to ignobility with the nine-win ’72-73 Philadelphia 76ers leaves no one feeling safe. Thorn wants to stay as team president, but there have been no assurances. His contract ends this summer. At least one executive in the league office believes Prokhorov has his eye on Toronto Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo, popular in the international basketball community, for the Nets’ top job. Others still believe Prokhorov will give Thorn a chance, based on strong backing from the commissioner’s office and the overall body of his work.
    Source - Click here

I think BC we'll stay with the Raptors and try to finish was he's started (i.e. win a title) rather than start all over from scratch again with a new team.

If Bosh re-signs, we'll be in good shape to become title contenders in 2-3 years. And after working so hard to get this far I highly doubt he'd leave Toronto for New York and have to suffer through a few more years of losing.
    RR OG

Comment

If anything, He's goin' after Gheradini.

Comment

My take is that he was in a notsonice position already when he took over the Raptors. If his vision was to build a Eurotype basketball team using the new nba reality (long, agile and multi-talented bigs) as the cornerstones of the franchise, I believe he is already more than half way there. Why would anyone go into the armpit of New York (Newark with parts of Brooklyn not far behind) and takeover a very difficult project like the Nets....unless of course the money is outrageous and Prokhorov gives him a franchise in high-collar shirts. BC will probably use this "rumour" to bargain a sweeter extension with the Raps. btw doesnt his deal sortof expire around the time Bosh makes his descision to reup? I think Peddie may have met his match!

Comment

Doesn't Colangelo have another year or two left on contract? I think the Raptors will give him whatever he wants. I also don't think he will want to start over again when he has a good thing brewing now. He left the Suns due to political reasons. No one is giving him grief like Sarver did.

Comment

Ark23 wrote: View Post
            If anything, He's goin' after Gheradini.
            That was a previous rumor based on the new owner wanting to bring a European flavor to the Nets. My guess is this latest rumor (only heard on Yahoo so far) mixed up the Raptor employees. Unless the Raptors fail miserably this year, I can't see MLSE letting Colangelo go. They'll re-sign him for even more bucks and perhaps some ownership shares. And it's not like he jumps at every new opportunity. The US media has had him moving on before (as we know, they can never believe anyone would ever really want to be in Toronto!). He only left Phoenix because Sarver forced him out.

Comment

I won't worry about this rumor until I start hearing him accepting trade offers from the Nets for bargnani.

Comment

I thought they wanted to go after Maurizio Gherardini? The Nets should just beg Rod Thorn to come back and pull off some crazy trades.

On another note, I thought they were moving to Brooklyn soon? If that's the case they could be an attractive destination. I know a lot of Nets players live in NY because they can't stand NJ.

Comment

Gherardini is a more likely candidate. He has more international respect than Colangelo and I'm sure he's been building his college ball and American agent contacts. More importantly, there would be far less resistance from MLSE. Colangelo and company would probably be happy for him.

Comment

BC isn't going anywhere he still has a job to do & big time unfinnished business!!!

BC wants a ring & if he were to go to the Nets that wouldn't happen anytime soon!
                    Waiting for DeRozan to windmill dunk in a game!

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      Gherardini is a more likely candidate. He has more international respect than Colangelo and I'm sure he's been building his college ball and American agent contacts. More importantly, there would be far less resistance from MLSE. Colangelo and company would probably be happy for him.
                      oh no if Gherardini leaves many pasta resturants in downtown Toronto might go out of business

Deanialist wrote: View Post
                      BC isn't going anywhere he still has a job to do & big time unfinnished business!!!

BC wants a ring & if he were to go to the Nets that wouldn't happen anytime soon!
                      Well he could bolt with Bosh to NJ (they are tight) and convince Lebron to go there as well:

pg-D.Harris
                      SG-C.Lee
                      SF-LBJ
                      PF-CB4
                      C-B.Loopez

This starting lineup is already better then the current Cavs one.

Comment

i've seen interviews with heads of mlse and colangelo and they both seem content where they are.

other than that, i don't see colangelo giving up on this franchise and starting all over when hes a piece or two away from proving himself.

colangelo still has to prove he can build a championship team he failed in phoenix. his atlantic winning raptors got knocked out in the first round. he'll stick with toronto more
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
                        X