Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do we want to finish bottom 3?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think RaptorReuben's post is pretty-much exactly what I'd want the team to do, but I'd also add that in terms of trade strategy, I'd like to see the Raptors acquire 2014 draft picks, and 2014 cap space. An ideal scenario has that young core (JV, ED, TR, DD, KL) playing together all of next season, and then in 2014 offseason they can evaluate if any of those parts need to be upgraded, and acquire that person in the free agency market, and get a good rookie or two in that draft to add some depth to the roster.

I'd also like to see the Raptors trade Calderon, ideally to a team that wants him as a short-term rental, and then make him a reasonable offer to return once he hits the offseason. As the professional guy that he is, I don't think he'd have a problem with the Raptors taking that approach, but I also don't think he'd give the Raptors a home-town discount, regardless of whether they trade him or not.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Geez Matt, it's all about you, you, you all the time, isn't it?

The more I think about it, the more I think we should keep Kleiza. It'll at least keep Colangelo happy. Kleiza is basically a shorter version of Bargnani, only he's much cheaper and does pretty much everything better.
    Actually isn't that why he drafted Zubcic? We have Bargnani's replacement playing out in Europe.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Actually isn't that why he drafted Zubcic? We have Bargnani's replacement playing out in Europe.
    +1

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Even though the 2013 draft looks weak, drafts can be surprising. The 2010 draft sure looked weak but then you got guys like Favors, Cousins, Monroe, and George.

There will always be 4 or 5 guys in every draft that will be good. The only way the OKC pick looks good is if we win games and make the pick bad. If we win the draft I will be happy as that will bring in more talent (or a tradeable prospect that can be used to get a stud - like Houston did with OKC to get Harden).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Even though the 2013 draft looks weak, drafts can be surprising. The 2010 draft sure looked weak but then you got guys like Favors, Cousins, Monroe, and George.
    I agree, also look at the 2011 draft, which was supposed to be a 2-3 player draft (Irving, Williams, Valanciunas - arguable Kanter.)
    The 2011 draft ended having great depth, maybe not overall talent, but depth. You went down and got guys like Marshon Brooks, the 60th pick with Isaiah Thomas. 38th pick you have a really nice player in Chandler Parsons, last 3 picks in the first round you got Norris Cole, Jimmy Butler, and Canadian Cory Joseph. Kenneth Faried at 22, Montiejunas at 20.

Weak draft possibly, but never know who/what you could find in a 60 player NBA entrance.

Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Of the 2 drafts mentioned only one legit baller—Kyrie.

3 solid 2nd tier talents in GMoney, KF and Paul George.

1 complete headcase in DMC.

Then you've got JV, Parsons and Favours being intriguing prospects but the jury is still out on em.

Kanter even more so. Montiejunas is playing in the D League despite Houstons lack of front court size and production beyond Asik.

Mini zeke, MarShon have both regressed big time after being good scorers on TERRIBLE teams. Cole Butler and Joseph are all lucky to be getting NBA paychecks and are fringe players at best.

out of 120 draft picks thats some bush league talent overall.
    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote minks77 wrote: View Post

Then you've got JV, Parsons and Favours being intriguing prospects but the jury is still out on em.

Kanter even more so. Montiejunas is playing in the D League despite Houstons lack of front court size and production beyond Asik.

Mini zeke, MarShon have both regressed big time after being good scorers on TERRIBLE teams. Cole Butler and Joseph are all lucky to be getting NBA paychecks and are fringe players at best.

Montiejunas is a PF.

I really like him. I would love to see him in a Raptors uniform. He rebounds. Still needs to add a little strength. I like him a lot.

He has put up big numbers in summer league and D-League (including 26/12 this past weekend).

I really like him as a prospect.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote minks77 wrote: View Post

Bush league talent? Not too sure about that. All names mentioned (probably other than Montiejunas) are very capable of playing the NBA game at a high level.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Montiejunas is a PF.

I really like him. I would love to see him in a Raptors uniform. He rebounds. Still needs to add a little strength. I like him a lot.

He has put up big numbers in summer league and D-League (including 26/12 this past weekend).

I really like him as a prospect.
    yeah I know. And a PF is a front court player. I'm not saying he's a scrub at the NBA level but it's far from a sure thing yet.

He is very intriguing though. I was worried we'd drafted the wrong lithuanian at first.
    Last edited by minks77; Tue Dec 18th, 2012 at 07:14 PM.
    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Bush league talent? Not too sure about that. All names mentioned (probably other than Montiejunas) are very capable of playing the NBA game at a high level.
    Perhaps Bush league is a bit harsh. But if you can only point to 1 sure thing, 3 good players, 3 prospects and a bunch of deep rotation players (out of 120 drafted players over a 2 year time span) then I don't think it's all that harsh. I disagree that Cole, Butler and Joseph have done a damn thing to justify any belief that they can play in the L at a "high level".
    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Thread Information