Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Do I ...
    Geez Matt, it's all about you, you, you all the time, isn't it?

The more I think about it, the more I think we should keep Kleiza. It'll at least keep Colangelo happy. Kleiza is basically a shorter version of Bargnani, only he's much cheaper and does pretty much everything better.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Comment

Oh wait, we don't want Colangelo to stick around though.. so nevermind that.
      your pal,
      ebrian

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
        I think the goal this year is to win as many games as possible. It's not a great draft year and we already have a good bunch of young talent we need to develop, maybe not future superstars but some decent players who need to learn how to win together. I think a 9th or 10th place finish would be good for this team, they get to compete for the last payoff spot and we get our pick next year. Every team needs to eventually turn that corner and start actually trying to win games instead of tanking every season and I think this is the year the Raptors start working toward winning.
        So compete this year? Tank next year? What can of message does that send to the players?
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

For me, I would do a couple things:

Develop & keep Terrence Ross, Demar Derozan, Ed Davis, Jonas Valanciunas, and Kyle Lowry. Develop these guys, play them in the situations for them to learn and experience, and give them the playing time to be successful. Let these guys play together, and develop a chemistry, buy into the system (defensive system that is) of Dwane Casey, and make these guys the core pieces of our future. This list may include a potential star (Derozan, Valanciunas, Lowry), but whether the core contains a star, or not, these guys become untouchable to the sense, your building people around THEM, not building them around people/player.

Use Jose Calderon, Andrea Bargnani, Amir Johnson, Linas Kleiza as trade-able assets or trade bait. A lot of possible money going out, but these are very capable players on wanting teams, with Jose's expiring contract as well, teams will acquire a 10$ million cap relief at the end of the season, allowing them to go into the off-season with open space for the 3 options (trade, free agency, draft).

Win Games. #1 option is to win games. Bring back the defensive culture, and play the slow, grind it out offense. Run only on OPPORTUNITIES. Losing games is a lost season, the better you try to get, and improve over the season, usually brings momentum and a better team the next season. No doubt whoever the GM will be by the end of the season, moves will be made to better the guys. Ross, JV, Ed, Derozan, Lowry, Fields, Anderson, Acy, Gray, Lucas are guys I expect to be back next season. Bring back the 'winning-type' culture we had last season, and allow the players to work within' it. We've been successful doing it. Run & gun teams haven't been successful in the last couple years, why fix something that's not broken? (Well, actually our team's offense has been pretty broken, until we started playing slower.)

Just a couple things I personally would do, but not to fond of using Jose as trade bait because first, he's a very, very good player. Key player when Lowry goes down. Also, we could use that expiring 10$ million at the end of the season being our financial flexibility was hampered a little bit with the Derozan signing. (Proving many wrong right now though.) I would only trade Calderon for the RIGHT deal.

Also, I hope Pietrus stays. BUT, one year deal, likely to test free agency, and not part of our future, nor is he a trade-able asset.
          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
            So compete this year? Tank next year? What can of message does that send to the players?
            I meant no more tanking. Give these guys a chance to win, we've been drafting for five years and it's about time we started teaching our prospects how to win.
            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

I think RaptorReuben's post is pretty-much exactly what I'd want the team to do, but I'd also add that in terms of trade strategy, I'd like to see the Raptors acquire 2014 draft picks, and 2014 cap space. An ideal scenario has that young core (JV, ED, TR, DD, KL) playing together all of next season, and then in 2014 offseason they can evaluate if any of those parts need to be upgraded, and acquire that person in the free agency market, and get a good rookie or two in that draft to add some depth to the roster.

I'd also like to see the Raptors trade Calderon, ideally to a team that wants him as a short-term rental, and then make him a reasonable offer to return once he hits the offseason. As the professional guy that he is, I don't think he'd have a problem with the Raptors taking that approach, but I also don't think he'd give the Raptors a home-town discount, regardless of whether they trade him or not.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                Geez Matt, it's all about you, you, you all the time, isn't it?

The more I think about it, the more I think we should keep Kleiza. It'll at least keep Colangelo happy. Kleiza is basically a shorter version of Bargnani, only he's much cheaper and does pretty much everything better.
                Actually isn't that why he drafted Zubcic? We have Bargnani's replacement playing out in Europe.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Actually isn't that why he drafted Zubcic? We have Bargnani's replacement playing out in Europe.
                  +1
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Even though the 2013 draft looks weak, drafts can be surprising. The 2010 draft sure looked weak but then you got guys like Favors, Cousins, Monroe, and George.

There will always be 4 or 5 guys in every draft that will be good. The only way the OKC pick looks good is if we win games and make the pick bad. If we win the draft I will be happy as that will bring in more talent (or a tradeable prospect that can be used to get a stud - like Houston did with OKC to get Harden).

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                      Even though the 2013 draft looks weak, drafts can be surprising. The 2010 draft sure looked weak but then you got guys like Favors, Cousins, Monroe, and George.
                      I agree, also look at the 2011 draft, which was supposed to be a 2-3 player draft (Irving, Williams, Valanciunas - arguable Kanter.)
                      The 2011 draft ended having great depth, maybe not overall talent, but depth. You went down and got guys like Marshon Brooks, the 60th pick with Isaiah Thomas. 38th pick you have a really nice player in Chandler Parsons, last 3 picks in the first round you got Norris Cole, Jimmy Butler, and Canadian Cory Joseph. Kenneth Faried at 22, Montiejunas at 20.

Weak draft possibly, but never know who/what you could find in a 60 player NBA entrance.

Comment

Of the 2 drafts mentioned only one legit baller—Kyrie.

3 solid 2nd tier talents in GMoney, KF and Paul George.

1 complete headcase in DMC.

Then you've got JV, Parsons and Favours being intriguing prospects but the jury is still out on em.

Kanter even more so. Montiejunas is playing in the D League despite Houstons lack of front court size and production beyond Asik.

Mini zeke, MarShon have both regressed big time after being good scorers on TERRIBLE teams. Cole Butler and Joseph are all lucky to be getting NBA paychecks and are fringe players at best.

out of 120 draft picks thats some bush league talent overall.
                        LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post

Then you've got JV, Parsons and Favours being intriguing prospects but the jury is still out on em.

Kanter even more so. Montiejunas is playing in the D League despite Houstons lack of front court size and production beyond Asik.

Mini zeke, MarShon have both regressed big time after being good scorers on TERRIBLE teams. Cole Butler and Joseph are all lucky to be getting NBA paychecks and are fringe players at best.

Montiejunas is a PF.

I really like him. I would love to see him in a Raptors uniform. He rebounds. Still needs to add a little strength. I like him a lot.

He has put up big numbers in summer league and D-League (including 26/12 this past weekend).

I really like him as a prospect.

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post

Bush league talent? Not too sure about that. All names mentioned (probably other than Montiejunas) are very capable of playing the NBA game at a high level.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              Montiejunas is a PF.

I really like him. I would love to see him in a Raptors uniform. He rebounds. Still needs to add a little strength. I like him a lot.

He has put up big numbers in summer league and D-League (including 26/12 this past weekend).

I really like him as a prospect.
                              yeah I know. And a PF is a front court player. I'm not saying he's a scrub at the NBA level but it's far from a sure thing yet.

He is very intriguing though. I was worried we'd drafted the wrong lithuanian at first.
                              Last edited by minks77; Tue Dec 18, 2012, 08:14 PM.
                              LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                                Bush league talent? Not too sure about that. All names mentioned (probably other than Montiejunas) are very capable of playing the NBA game at a high level.
                                Perhaps Bush league is a bit harsh. But if you can only point to 1 sure thing, 3 good players, 3 prospects and a bunch of deep rotation players (out of 120 drafted players over a 2 year time span) then I don't think it's all that harsh. I disagree that Cole, Butler and Joseph have done a damn thing to justify any belief that they can play in the L at a "high level".
                                LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X