Do we want to finish bottom 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we want to finish bottom 3?

Considering that this year is supposed to be a weaker draft, and the fact that keeping our pick this year means we would give up our next years pick, do we really want to finish bottom 3?

How do you see it working out better for the raptors longterm?
    in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

if we drop to fourth pick in the draft the upside is that the deal is over and we can proceed as normal.

Comment

i would say play out the season and im sure we would be around 30 to 35 wins at the end of the season. not too bad and not too good. now, you ll have plenty of mediocre talent to play with... keep JV ED and TR and trade as many pieces as possible for 2014 draft picks.. that includes KL, DD, AB(if hes not traded by then). atleast get 1 lottery pick and some first rounders in return. Tank the season the 2014 season.. like real talk TANK!!! just BOMB the season bobcats style. now you are guaranteed for Wiggins or Jabari. and the possibilities of winning the lottery with the lottery picks we have in hand will be higher. say we have 7th worst teams pick and our own pick. thats like about 25% + 8% = 33%; in other words 1 in 3 chances.

Comment

We should just play for the win. I'm not against tanking but we don't need more potential players. We are young enough now. And with the draft, nothing is certain. Even with the worst record, you can drop down to fourth. And even if we get the #1 pick, we can still end up with a Greg Oden, Kwame Brown and our very own Enigmatic Primo Pasta. What's important is that the team should figure out how to play as a team, be better on D, trade Bargnani, and make smart offseason moves.

Comment

flamingtimbits wrote: View Post
          We should just play for the win. I'm not against tanking but we don't need more potential players. We are young enough now. And with the draft, nothing is certain. Even with the worst record, you can drop down to fourth. And even if we get the #1 pick, we can still end up with a Greg Oden, Kwame Brown and our very own Enigmatic Primo Pasta. What's important is that the team should figure out how to play as a team, be better on D, trade Bargnani, and make smart offseason moves.
          clearly you hvaent seen Wiggins,
          let me help you out- imagine Kevin Durant's game with Vince like body and hops.

Comment

ball4life wrote: View Post
            Wiggins is '014, who gives a shit about this year unless we get the top pick.

No I don't wanna watch the rest of the season where we lose. If it happens, it happens. Nobody should want that, not this year.

Comment

Who cares about Wiggins? if this was year 2014 then yeah i probably would tank. But that's 2 years from now. Raps should play for the win. I'm tired of losing.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

DD for next years projected worst teams' 1st round pick?

Comment

Go for wins, this team still has a chance at the playoffs (statistically unlikely), but it's still early in the season.

This year's draft is very, very weak. Shabazz Muhammad is the only player I'd consider in that draft, but apparently he's another Harrison Barnes type college player. So, I don't know.

Play for wins.
                  Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I've seen highlights of his games but he hasn't even picked a college yet! What does making the playoffs have anything to do with him? Even if Wiggins bribes Stern, suddenly declare for the draft, and we get to draft him, godforbid for the sake of the nba, he might get into a car accident and lose a foot.

My point being, nothing is for certain, let's just take the season one game at a time, try our luck, and see what happens. Hopefully Casey can figure out a way for the team to play hard on the D consistently, and BC to figure out how to solve the personnel issues (what to do with Bargs, Jose's expiring contract, wing players, etc etc).

Comment

i think you blow it up and try to get as many picks as you can and let things fall as they may. regardless, we'll most likely end up losing our pick this year.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Do I want the Raptors to finish bottom 3? No. That would be painful and guarantees nothing but a lost season.

Do I want the obligations to OKC removed from the Raptors debt owed? Yup.

Do I want the Raptors to build upon the progress of last season? Abso-f'in-lutely.

Do I want the Raptors to develop and play the current young talent of ED, DD, TR, JV? You know it.

Do I want the Raptors to use Calderon/Bargnani/Kleiza/Amir to obtain as many picks as possible? Yes.

Do I think those players will those players return picks on their own? Helllll no. Not a chance.

Do I think the Raptors should volunteer to take on the worst of the worst contracts in the league in exchange for draft picks? Yes. I would not think twice.

Do I think those worst contracts will hinder the Raptors? No. Those contracts aren't playing anyways, remember? Develop the youth. Eventually those big contracts are going to be expiring right around the time the stockpile of draft picks is rounding out the roster.

Do I think this approach is risky? Yes but with current trade assets and history in free agency, the draft is the best way to get talent on the roster to become stars or trade for stars in combination with the horrible contracts that will eventually be expiring contracts.

Do I think the Raptors will get Wiggins? I don't know. Right now they have as good as a shot as anyone else.

Do I think everything is about Wiggins? No.

Do I think everything should be about Wiggins? No.

Comment

play for wins this year do whatever it takes trade any current player for #1 overall in 2014.

As hard as 2 more mediocre to crap seasons will be, getting one of the top 3 picks in 014 should net us a true game changer and in this league you need one or best you can hope for is one-n-dones or late lotto picks. Fact, not fiction.
                          LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Do I want the Raptors to finish bottom 3? No. That would be painful and guarantees nothing but a lost season.

Do I want the obligations to OKC removed from the Raptors debt owed? Yup.

Do I want the Raptors to build upon the progress of last season? Abso-f'in-lutely.

Do I want the Raptors to develop and play the current young talent of ED, DD, TR, JV? You know it.

Do I want the Raptors to use Calderon/Bargnani/Kleiza/Amir to obtain as many picks as possible? Yes.

Do I think those players will those players return picks on their own? Helllll no. Not a chance.

Do I think the Raptors should volunteer to take on the worst of the worst contracts in the league in exchange for draft picks? Yes. I would not think twice.

Do I think those worst contracts will hinder the Raptors? No. Those contracts aren't playing anyways, remember? Develop the youth. Eventually those big contracts are going to be expiring right around the time the stockpile of draft picks is rounding out the roster.

Do I think this approach is risky? Yes but with current trade assets and history in free agency, the draft is the best way to get talent on the roster to become stars or trade for stars in combination with the horrible contracts that will eventually be expiring contracts.

Do I think the Raptors will get Wiggins? I don't know. Right now they have as good as a shot as anyone else.

Do I think everything is about Wiggins? No.

Do I think everything should be about Wiggins? No.
                            Agree 100%

minks77 wrote: View Post
                            play for wins this year do whatever it takes trade any current player for #1 overall in 2014.

As hard as 2 more mediocre to crap seasons will be, getting one of the top 3 picks in 014 should net us a true game changer and in this league you need one or best you can hope for is one-n-dones or late lotto picks. Fact, not fiction.
                            The Raps have nothing that will ensure a trade for the #1 draft in 2014, but Matt's suggestion to do everything to trade for picks in 2014 will give them the flexibility to work a deal that just might land them a couple (or 3?) high lottery picks.
                            Last edited by Puffer; Tue Dec 18, 2012, 10:53 AM.

Comment

I think the goal this year is to win as many games as possible. It's not a great draft year and we already have a good bunch of young talent we need to develop, maybe not future superstars but some decent players who need to learn how to win together. I think a 9th or 10th place finish would be good for this team, they get to compete for the last payoff spot and we get our pick next year. Every team needs to eventually turn that corner and start actually trying to win games instead of tanking every season and I think this is the year the Raptors start working toward winning.
                              "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Working...
                              X