Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Future Top Point Guards?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    He can not change speeds as fast as D Rose can. In the half court, watch D Rose. He will dribble casually going left from the top of the 3pt line and then all of a sudden BOOM! he hits his defender with a quick crossover and he's at the rim in seconds. If we were to relate this to cars, Rose would be a Bugatti Veyron SS(0 - 100 km/h in 2.5 seconds) and Westbrook would be a Porsche 911 Turbo S (0 - 100 km/h in 2.7 seconds).
    I honestly can't agree with you. Westbrook is extremely quick, and he can definitely change speeds if anything just as fast as Rose. There's a reason many call him the most athletic guard in the league because he's so good.

I do agree his ability to change speeds with the ball-handle is miles ahead of Westbrook.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    I honestly can't agree with you. Westbrook is extremely quick, and he can definitely change speeds if anything just as fast as Rose. There's a reason many call him the most athletic guard in the league because he's so good.

I do agree his ability to change speeds with the ball-handle is miles ahead of Westbrook.
    I meant with the ball. Off ball would make no sense what so ever because both of these players are terrible spot up shooters and they need the ball in their hands to be effective.
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Now, here's a difference. Griffin is a big, while Harden and Curry are guards. They dominate the ball, they make the decisions, for example: Last night against the Mavericks, he did not get the amount of needed touches, thus resulting in him being a non-factor, also resulting in a loss. The team is built around Chris Paul, and NOT Blake Griffin, where Curry and Harden's situation is otherwise.

I think you forget it's still a team game. Harden and Curry are play-makers, and extremely good at getting the ball in the basket, no doubt about that, but Griffin is a such a great talent already since coming into the league.

I personally think the Clippers DO make the playoffs without Paul, maybe not a top 4 team, but definitely higher than either Houston or Golden State.
    Bledsoe, Crawford, Barnes, Odom, Griffin, Jordan, Billups, Hill. The depth is immeasurable.
    See: Denver Nuggets

You overlook one player on one team's success. It's a team game, and they play different positions, and impact a team/game differently. If Griffin was a guard (has great handle for his size, athletic, terrific finisher) he'd be miles ahead of either Harden or Curry.
    Not to mention Griffin's potential/ceiling is higher than both Curry and Harden.

1. Griffin
    2. Harden
    3. Curry
    i would take harden over griffon. i think once griffons altheticism wheres off he is going to drop in ability. not a strong free throw shooter so he is going to hurt you late in play off games and not a great shot maker. good rebounder and dunker but there are a lot of better 4s in the league, in my opinion
    For The Win

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    i would take harden over griffon. i think once griffons altheticism wheres off he is going to drop in ability. not a strong free throw shooter so he is going to hurt you late in play off games and not a great shot maker. good rebounder and dunker but there are a lot of better 4s in the league, in my opinion
    I would take Blake in his prime over Harden in his prime assuming we have two capable wing players. Pretty much depends upon opinion, need, etc.

It's hard to say which one is better now and for the future, but I would definitely take those 2 over Curry on any given day.

Blake is a great finisher, has some unorthodox - but effective - post moves, great rebounder. I personally think he can be something close to a Karl Malone. He's so physically strong, developed the mid-ranged game, and I definitely feel he will improve the post-game, and the footwork.

Post Thanks / Like

I would take Blake in his prime over Harden in his prime assuming we have two capable wing players. Pretty much depends upon opinion, need, etc.

It's hard to say which one is better now and for the future, but I would definitely take those 2 over Curry on any given day.

Blake is a great finisher, has some unorthodox - but effective - post moves, great rebounder. I personally think he can be something close to a Karl Malone. He's so physically strong, developed the mid-ranged game, and I definitely feel he will improve the post-game, and the footwork.
    No, no, no. Did you even see Karl Malone play in his prime? that guy is one of the greatest if not the greatest PF to ever play the game.

You know who Griffin's game reminds me of? with his style and his size? Charles Barkley. A poor man's Charles Barkley.

Actually i'm being nice because Barkley is also one of the greatest PF to ever play the game. I say top 5. That guy back in 93 SINGLEHANDEDLY led the Suns to an NBA Finals appearance. Can Griffin lead the Clippers to an NBA Finals appearance without Paul? no. Can Griffin with Paul lead the Clippers to an NBA Finals appearance? no.

Like i said, i don't want to call Griffin overrated because he's a very good player. Chris Bosh is also a very good player. But they're not franchise players like a Malone or Barkley.
    Last edited by TRex; Mon Apr 1st, 2013 at 02:27 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter - @RRyan22

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Barkley didn't do anything alone, he had Majerle and Johnson.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    Barkley didn't do anything alone, he had Majerle and Johnson.
    he did single handedly call down the wrath of God and jinx his team to failure.

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's funny how things have changed over one year. What would you choose now?
    #FREE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RandomGuy wrote: View Post
    It's funny how things have changed over one year. What would you choose now?
    drose
    Irving
    lillard
    rubio
    wall

was my first answer and i still hope for drose, i love that guy but i also loved penny , but now i would swicth out drose and irving, who also seems soft and unable to make his teammates better and it would look like this

wall
    lillard
    rubio
    curry (if he stays healthy)
    walker
    For The Win

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    wall
    lillard
    rubio
    curry (if he stays healthy)
    walker
    Rubio over Curry? Interesting...
    Writer for RaptorsWatch.com

Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Kind of hard to judge with all the injury clouds over Rose and Westbrook, who would be my 1 and 2 in that order if they were at absolutely peak form, they're still young. Knee injuries are no joke though.
    Curry #3, he's amazing.

Irving is overrated at this stage imo.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

As the question is "in 4-5 years", I'd still have to put CP3 around the top of the list. He will be 32-33, and most great point guards were still in their prime at that age. He had some knee issues so who knows; but it's hard to exclude him right now.

1-3 in any order: CP3, Westbrook, Curry

Anyway, it will probably end up very different. 4-5 years ago, most of us likely would've had Devin Harris on a list like that.

If it ends up Exum or Kyrie, and half the current star point guards are injured, who would be surprised.
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; Fri Jan 10th, 2014 at 12:45 AM.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
    As the question is "in 4-5 years", I'd still have to put CP3 around the top of the list. He will be 32-33, and most great point guards were still in their prime at that age. He had some knee issues so who knows; but it's hard to exclude him right now.

1-3 in any order: CP3, Westbrook, Curry

Anyway, it will probably end up very different. 4-5 years ago, most of us likely would've had Devin Harris on a list like that.

If it ends up Exum or Kyrie, and half the current star point guards are injured, who would be surprised.
    Some knee issues? His torn meniscus was removed, not repaired.

Time is ticking for CP3.

I'm giving him 2 more years. CP3 should schedule appointment with surgeon already. Bone to bone grinding situations ain't fun.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

You give him 2 more years till what?

Post Thanks / Like

You give him 2 more years till what?
    till he starts having problems with his knee. I'm not a doctor, but I can guarantee you that CP3 will not avoid microfracture surgery.. It's brutal procedure and outcome isn't the best.

CP3 should either book an appointment with surgeon in advance ( ) or encourage scientists to create meniscus implants
    Last edited by rocwell; Fri Jan 10th, 2014 at 01:26 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

We'll see I guess. Wade is still one of the best at his position at 32 and 12 years after meniscus removal, and he depends on athleticism a lot.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We'll see I guess. Wade is still one of the best at his position at 32 and 12 years after meniscus removal, and he depends on athleticism a lot.
    Wade's position is also not nearly as deep as the PG position...so that comes into play too.

Raptors Republic Starter e_wheazhy_'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Wade's position is also not nearly as deep as the PG position...so that comes into play too.
    Also, I don't know if you guys watched wade play last night, dude looks like a 55 year old man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
    Also, I don't know if you guys watched wade play last night, dude looks like a 55 year old man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, while he's obviously still good, he's not nearly the same player he was.

Post Thanks / Like

Well he had plenty of treatments on his knee, also he's dealing with ongoing knee problems, but it's kinda impressive.

12 years is long time.

Tik.. tak...

Thread Information