Future Top Point Guards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TRex wrote: View Post
    Overrated? how? How many Warriors game have you watched this year?

Curry is one of the best young PG's in the game and in my opinion the greatest shooter in basketball right now.

If i would re-do the 09 draft my top 3 would be:

1. Harden
    2. Curry
    3. Griffin
    Seriously? Griffin 3rd? Dude, Griffin has a much higher ceiling than Curry and Harden does. I personally love Curry and Harden, but Griffin has so many tools to be a great, great player. Extremely athletic, ball-handling is really good for his size and position, strength, great finishing ability, and he improves every single season. He's got underrated skill, because his athleticism is always overlooked.

One thing these three share though, is their defense. It's barely above average.

I would definitely re-do top 3, but it would be:

1. Blake Griffin
    2. James Harden
    3. Stephen Curry
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Sig wrote: View Post
      I think Stephen Curry is horribly overrated
      I think Sig is horrible drunk

Joking, but I disagree with you. He's really something special, great shooter, great shot creator. He's a top 10 point guard, but I think people are expecting TOO much out of him. People expect him to be a top 3 point guard in the future, but I don't see that.

In my opinion:

1. Kyrie Irving
      2. Derrick Rose
      3. Russel Westbrook

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        Rose has the edge because of his first step and insane finishing ability around the rim. Westbrook is very out of control and if its not a dunk he can't finish too well. Rose has the quickest first step i've ever seen, he changes speed in literally Milliseconds.
        And Westbrook doesn't?

If anything, I would put Westbrook with that first step edge, he has such a long stride, and he digs his leg so strong down. I think he is the quickest player in the league. Finishing I agree with, but that isn't much a measure of athleticism. All depends on focus, soft touch, feel for the ball, etc.

Like I said, they're basically at the same level of athleticism, but if anyone has the edge, it's Westbrook, because he is a bigger and longer player. The first step can be argued, but Westbrook has some SERIOUS explosion. I've watched both because they're two of the most exciting players in the league, or they are called "league pass guys":

Westbrook:

- Quicker lateral and forward quicks
        - physically bigger and longer
        - greater stride
        - explosive
        - unguardable first step

Rose:

- Faster moving
        - Physically stronger
        - better hang-time
        - explosive
        - unguardable first step

Like I said, different ways they are better than another, but they are quite similar in their level of athleticism. An 11 out of 10.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
          Seriously? Griffin 3rd? Dude, Griffin has a much higher ceiling than Curry and Harden does. I personally love Curry and Harden, but Griffin has so many tools to be a great, great player. Extremely athletic, ball-handling is really good for his size and position, strength, great finishing ability, and he improves every single season. He's got underrated skill, because his athleticism is always overlooked.

One thing these three share though, is their defense. It's barely above average.

I would definitely re-do top 3, but it would be:

1. Blake Griffin
          2. James Harden
          3. Stephen Curry
          Take Chris Paul off that team and i don't think the Clippers make the playoffs. I'm not saying Griffin is overrated but i think people overrates him a bit because of his athleticism and because of the highlight dunks.

Harden on the other hand has singlehandedly put the Rockets back in the playoff map. Take Harden off the Rockets and insert Griffin, do you think the Rockets make the playoffs? i seriously doubt it.

You can say the same thing about Curry. He's the biggest reason why the Warriors are a playoff team this year.

1. Harden
          2. Curry
          3. Griffin
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
            Take Chris Paul off that team and i don't think the Clippers make the playoffs. I'm not saying Griffin is overrated but i think people overrates him a bit because of his athleticism and because of the highlight dunks.

Harden on the other hand has singlehandedly put the Rockets back in the playoff map. Take Harden off the Rockets and insert Griffin, do you think the Rockets make the playoffs? i seriously doubt it.

You can say the same thing about Curry. He's the biggest reason why the Warriors are a playoff team this year.

1. Harden
            2. Curry
            3. Griffin
            Now, here's a difference. Griffin is a big, while Harden and Curry are guards. They dominate the ball, they make the decisions, for example: Last night against the Mavericks, he did not get the amount of needed touches, thus resulting in him being a non-factor, also resulting in a loss. The team is built around Chris Paul, and NOT Blake Griffin, where Curry and Harden's situation is otherwise.

I think you forget it's still a team game. Harden and Curry are play-makers, and extremely good at getting the ball in the basket, no doubt about that, but Griffin is a such a great talent already since coming into the league.

I personally think the Clippers DO make the playoffs without Paul, maybe not a top 4 team, but definitely higher than either Houston or Golden State.
            Bledsoe, Crawford, Barnes, Odom, Griffin, Jordan, Billups, Hill. The depth is immeasurable.
            See: Denver Nuggets

You overlook one player on one team's success. It's a team game, and they play different positions, and impact a team/game differently. If Griffin was a guard (has great handle for his size, athletic, terrific finisher) he'd be miles ahead of either Harden or Curry.
            Not to mention Griffin's potential/ceiling is higher than both Curry and Harden.

1. Griffin
            2. Harden
            3. Curry

Comment

Rose is already the best PG in the league. Youngest MVP in nba history! and he's only 23. Y'all are trippin if you think Kyrie is better that D Rose

Comment

Rose is already the best PG in the league. Youngest MVP in nba history! and he's only 23. Y'all are trippin if you think Kyrie is better that D Rose
                I agree. Rose is so skilled WITH his athleticism.

Comment

Can't wait till he's back

Comment

And Westbrook doesn't?

If anything, I would put Westbrook with that first step edge, he has such a long stride, and he digs his leg so strong down. I think he is the quickest player in the league. Finishing I agree with, but that isn't much a measure of athleticism. All depends on focus, soft touch, feel for the ball, etc.

Like I said, they're basically at the same level of athleticism, but if anyone has the edge, it's Westbrook, because he is a bigger and longer player. The first step can be argued, but Westbrook has some SERIOUS explosion. I've watched both because they're two of the most exciting players in the league, or they are called "league pass guys":

Westbrook:

- greater stride
                    - explosive
                    - unguardable first step

Rose:

- Faster moving
                    - Physically stronger
                    - better hang-time
                    - explosive
                    - unguardable first step

Like I said, different ways they are better than another, but they are quite similar in their level of athleticism. An 11 out of 10.
                    I agree with most of what you said but i still think Rose is a much better athlete. Rose just seems to have more flexibility weaving his way through traffic and he makes some of the toughest shots i've ever seen. Westbrook is pretty freakishly athletic but he plays way out of control. I wouldn't be surprised if he was on roids, he rages a lot out there on the court

Comment

And Westbrook doesn't?

Westbrook:

- greater stride
                      - explosive
                      - unguardable first step

Rose:

- Faster moving
                      - Physically stronger
                      - better hang-time
                      - explosive
                      - unguardable first step

He can not change speeds as fast as D Rose can. In the half court, watch D Rose. He will dribble casually going left from the top of the 3pt line and then all of a sudden BOOM! he hits his defender with a quick crossover and he's at the rim in seconds. If we were to relate this to cars, Rose would be a Bugatti Veyron SS(0 - 100 km/h in 2.5 seconds) and Westbrook would be a Porsche 911 Turbo S (0 - 100 km/h in 2.7 seconds).

Comment

He can not change speeds as fast as D Rose can. In the half court, watch D Rose. He will dribble casually going left from the top of the 3pt line and then all of a sudden BOOM! he hits his defender with a quick crossover and he's at the rim in seconds. If we were to relate this to cars, Rose would be a Bugatti Veyron SS(0 - 100 km/h in 2.5 seconds) and Westbrook would be a Porsche 911 Turbo S (0 - 100 km/h in 2.7 seconds).
                        I honestly can't agree with you. Westbrook is extremely quick, and he can definitely change speeds if anything just as fast as Rose. There's a reason many call him the most athletic guard in the league because he's so good.

I do agree his ability to change speeds with the ball-handle is miles ahead of Westbrook.

Comment

I honestly can't agree with you. Westbrook is extremely quick, and he can definitely change speeds if anything just as fast as Rose. There's a reason many call him the most athletic guard in the league because he's so good.

I do agree his ability to change speeds with the ball-handle is miles ahead of Westbrook.
                          I meant with the ball. Off ball would make no sense what so ever because both of these players are terrible spot up shooters and they need the ball in their hands to be effective.

Comment

Now, here's a difference. Griffin is a big, while Harden and Curry are guards. They dominate the ball, they make the decisions, for example: Last night against the Mavericks, he did not get the amount of needed touches, thus resulting in him being a non-factor, also resulting in a loss. The team is built around Chris Paul, and NOT Blake Griffin, where Curry and Harden's situation is otherwise.

I think you forget it's still a team game. Harden and Curry are play-makers, and extremely good at getting the ball in the basket, no doubt about that, but Griffin is a such a great talent already since coming into the league.

I personally think the Clippers DO make the playoffs without Paul, maybe not a top 4 team, but definitely higher than either Houston or Golden State.
                            Bledsoe, Crawford, Barnes, Odom, Griffin, Jordan, Billups, Hill. The depth is immeasurable.
                            See: Denver Nuggets

You overlook one player on one team's success. It's a team game, and they play different positions, and impact a team/game differently. If Griffin was a guard (has great handle for his size, athletic, terrific finisher) he'd be miles ahead of either Harden or Curry.
                            Not to mention Griffin's potential/ceiling is higher than both Curry and Harden.

1. Griffin
                            2. Harden
                            3. Curry
                            i would take harden over griffon. i think once griffons altheticism wheres off he is going to drop in ability. not a strong free throw shooter so he is going to hurt you late in play off games and not a great shot maker. good rebounder and dunker but there are a lot of better 4s in the league, in my opinion

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                              i would take harden over griffon. i think once griffons altheticism wheres off he is going to drop in ability. not a strong free throw shooter so he is going to hurt you late in play off games and not a great shot maker. good rebounder and dunker but there are a lot of better 4s in the league, in my opinion
                              I would take Blake in his prime over Harden in his prime assuming we have two capable wing players. Pretty much depends upon opinion, need, etc.

It's hard to say which one is better now and for the future, but I would definitely take those 2 over Curry on any given day.

Blake is a great finisher, has some unorthodox - but effective - post moves, great rebounder. I personally think he can be something close to a Karl Malone. He's so physically strong, developed the mid-ranged game, and I definitely feel he will improve the post-game, and the footwork.

Comment

I would take Blake in his prime over Harden in his prime assuming we have two capable wing players. Pretty much depends upon opinion, need, etc.

It's hard to say which one is better now and for the future, but I would definitely take those 2 over Curry on any given day.

Blake is a great finisher, has some unorthodox - but effective - post moves, great rebounder. I personally think he can be something close to a Karl Malone. He's so physically strong, developed the mid-ranged game, and I definitely feel he will improve the post-game, and the footwork.
                                No, no, no. Did you even see Karl Malone play in his prime? that guy is one of the greatest if not the greatest PF to ever play the game.

You know who Griffin's game reminds me of? with his style and his size? Charles Barkley. A poor man's Charles Barkley.

Actually i'm being nice because Barkley is also one of the greatest PF to ever play the game. I say top 5. That guy back in 93 SINGLEHANDEDLY led the Suns to an NBA Finals appearance. Can Griffin lead the Clippers to an NBA Finals appearance without Paul? no. Can Griffin with Paul lead the Clippers to an NBA Finals appearance? no.

Like i said, i don't want to call Griffin overrated because he's a very good player. Chris Bosh is also a very good player. But they're not franchise players like a Malone or Barkley.
                                Last edited by The Great One; Mon Apr 1, 2013, 02:27 PM.
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X