Future Top Point Guards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Top Point Guards?

This is a thread, somewhat influenced by Enlightenment, who asked in the thread 'Rebuilding: Who is doing it right?'.

Enlightenment: Who was the better first overall PG pick?

John Wall or Kyrie Irving?
    Now, this isn't much about the draft, but more about the point guards.

My question I pose to all of you is, who do you believe, will be the best point guards in the future?
    It could be your top 5, it could be your top 3, top 10 whatever it may be. Also state, specifically how far/near into the future? ex: 3 years, my top 3 guards are; etc, etc, etc.

I'm a point guard myself, and I love watching great play from the floor general, and seeing how they get their teammates involved, and how to make an impact on the game.

My list goes for Top 5, in 4-5 years.

In order:

1 - Derrick Rose (once, or if ever returns to complete form).
    2 - Kyrie Irving
    3 - Ricky Rubio
    4 - Russel Westbrook
    5 - Eric Bledsoe

The best point guards in the league have something special about them. You look at the point guard position, and the future? It is very bright for a number of players. Eric Bledsoe, a kid who really came into his own last season playing behind Chris Paul, and Chauncey Billups. Having the ability to learn from two experienced, high talent, star calibre players, makes you a better player yourself. His last two seasons in the league so far have been a joy to watch. Many believe in years time, he will be taking over the reigns as a starter be it in a Clipper uniform, or elsewhere looking for a kid to run their team. This guy is a joy to watch, and I can't wait to see him grow even more. His jump-shot has improved, he's extremely strong, and very athletic. He's developed a better sense of where his players are, and learned to see the floor better. The Kentucky product reminds me a lot of a 'better attitude' Steve Francis. He came into the league as a high risk, high reward player, and well, quite frankly, The Clippers have gotten one heck of a reward.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

When are you entering the draft? #RRRepresent! haha

I see CP3 earning a Ring either this season or next with the Clip, leaning more towards next year though as I think Blake needs one more year to enter his prime. So I think CP3 will still be up there in 4 years.

Hard to argue against your list, but it's really hard to say. Such a dominant position with so many up-and-comer's these days.

All these kids just need to stay healthy and the Association is in great shape. I can really see Kyrie battling for supremacy within two years if the rest of his team progresses along with him. Tristan Thompson I'm looking at you!

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
      When are you entering the draft? #RRRepresent! haha

I see CP3 earning a Ring either this season or next with the Clip, leaning more towards next year though as I think Blake needs one more year to enter his prime. So I think CP3 will still be up there in 4 years.

Hard to argue against your list, but it's really hard to say. Such a dominant position with so many up-and-comer's these days.

All these kids just need to stay healthy and the Association is in great shape. I can really see Kyrie battling for supremacy within two years if the rest of his team progresses along with him. Tristan Thompson I'm looking at you!
      +1! Oh man, If I can get into Division 1, it'll be because of RR! Haha, I'll enter in the 2015 draft, I'll be the Raptors' second round pick!

I agree, Kyrie seems to be at top with Derrick Rose possibly not returning to form.

Comment

Moved to NBA section .. because lets face it, the Raptors have nothing to do with this conversation Reuben. :P Haha

ESPN did a 5-on-5 on exactly this.

"Who was the best Point Guard drafted in the last 5 Draft Classes"

They count down All 5, but for the Top, the ESPN "experts" had:

ESPN 5-on-5 wrote:
        5. Who's the best PG of the past five draft classes?

Arnovitz: Irving. It's still early, but after 66 NBA games, Irving has already mastered the specifics of pick-and-roll basketball, the nuances of directing an offense and the ability to shred his man in isolation. He acknowledges that his defense needs more bite, but let's project ahead a season and a half or so, to a time when Irving has logged 200 games. What's he going to look like then?

Foster: Irving: Plain and simple, Irving has the most skill of the group. He's the best ball handler, the best perimeter shooter (non-Curry division) and the best shot-creator. These types of efficiency numbers typically don't happen with such a high usage rate and such bad teammates, but they are. Once he starts defending, Irving will have a spot in the league's best point guard conversation, period. He's that good.

Herbert: Derrick Rose. It might be a while before Rose looks like the best of the bunch once he returns from injury, but at his peak he is a (slightly) more destructive force than any of his peers. The strides he made from his rookie of the year season to his Most Valuable Player season are immense.

Koremenos: Irving. This kid can just flat-out play. He's a taller, better-shooting version of Paul who is already capable of being the first option on a contender. The only thing holding him back from superstardom is if his odd assortment of injuries continue to force him to miss time.

Sunnergren: Rose. Though the next fact I learn about ACL recoveries will be my first, I can't shake the feeling that Rose's best chapter is yet to be written. Temporarily sapped of the athleticism that's carried him, he'll be forced to become a more cerebral player in the initial stages of his return. And when the explosiveness returns, which it will, watch out.

Source
        Amazingly, these guys have Irving over Rose .. former MVP.

Check out the link, but some of the other guys mentioned in their top 5: Rubio, Lawson, Westbrook, Stephen Curry, Eric Bledsoe.

John Wall isn't named at all in the whole article. Harsh.
        Last edited by Joey; Thu Dec 27, 2012, 06:48 PM.

Comment

D Rose gtfo if you don't agree. He can single handedly take your team to the playoffs. He can drive and finish against anyone in traffic, Great passer, Improved shooter, good defender, good rebounder for his position. He can do it all, probably my favorite player in the entire league.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
            D Rose gtfo if you don't agree. He can single handedly take your team to the playoffs. He can drive and finish against anyone in traffic, Great passer, Improved shooter, good defender, good rebounder for his position. He can do it all, probably my favorite player in the entire league.
            I didn't include Derrick Rose because of the injury. Also, I wouldn't rank him a 'good' rebounder for his position, and isn't a 'good' defender, more so I would say improved defender.

Other than that, he is one of my favourite point guards in the league when healthy. But, I love watching tough passes and great play-making. Chris Paul is still my favourite point guard to watch.

Comment

drose

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                drose
                these pretzels are making me thirsty. having a bunch of problems with the phone boys. don't buy a xiao mi phone.
                anyway

drose
                Irving
                lillard
                rubio
                wall

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                  these pretzels are making me thirsty. having a bunch of problems with the phone boys. don't buy a xiao mi phone.
                  anyway

drose
                  Irving
                  lillard
                  rubio
                  wall
                  D-Rose is probably the best overall player down the road. Russel Westbrook will probably be the best scoring point guard. Kyrie Irving could be the best bet (other than D-Rose) to break out as a star.

Comment

D.Rose
                    Irving
                    Lillard
                    Westbrook
                    Wall
                    Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                      D.Rose
                      Irving
                      Lillard
                      Westbrook
                      Wall
                      No Rubio? Easily the best passer of the group. Point Guards overall need to know how to get guys involved.

Comment

No Rubio. I foresee many injuries and scoring problems for him.
                        Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

No love for Curry?

He is the best shooter in the game playing on a young and improving Golden State team that plays to his style. He is gonna be great in the years to come.

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
                            No love for Curry?

He is the best shooter in the game playing on a young and improving Golden State team that plays to his style. He is gonna be great in the years to come.
                            Oh I agree, quite frankly I don't know why I didn't include him, but, he is fairly injury prone. He has been fairly consistent in terms of staying healthy this year though.

Comment

DRose
                              Irving
                              Curry

All great choices. Rubio, good player, but not the in contention for the best IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X