Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ESPN - Trade debates: Who stays, who goes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN - Trade debates: Who stays, who goes?

3. The Raptors should trade Andrea Bargnani.
    A. Agree strongly.
    B. Agree somewhat.
    C. Disagree somewhat.
    D. Disagree strongly.

Ford: A. Agree strongly. Bargnani has been an example of a player whose team internally values him more than other teams have for years. This has been Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo's project and after years of false starts, it's pretty clear he will never live up to his promise. I don't think there's any team dying to take on his deal, but if the Raptors are willing to offer some of their young players in return, the equation may change quickly.

Ham: B. Agree somewhat. Bargnani is talented, but he really needs the right situation to flourish, and I'm not sure he can find that again in Toronto. The Raptors have compiled some nice complementary pieces in Kyle Lowry, DeMar DeRozan and Jonas Valanciunas, but Bargnani isn't a franchise guy, and you have to wonder if both the team and the player in this situation wouldn't benefit greatly from a change.

McGowan: A. Agree strongly. Bargnani seems to have openly quit on his team, but who wants to pay $23 million over the next two seasons for an inefficient power forward who can't guard anyone? The Raptors might have to package him with a more enticing asset if they want to get rid of him.

Schmidt: C. Disagree somewhat. His value will never be lower. If he can be a part of a larger deal, such as one that could bring in a Gasol, then sure, let him go. But don't just punt Bargs for the sake of starting over. This season is a loss anyway, so the Raptors might as well let him try to boost his value.

Soriano: A. Agree strongly. While still young, Bargnani's game has plateaued in Toronto. Also, his poor defense and single-focused offensive approach require too specific a team to surround him, but he's not elite enough to justify being a building block who shapes their roster construction. A change of scenery would do both sides some good.
    Standard run of the mill type stuff, however...

2. The Cavaliers should trade Anderson Varejao.
    A. Agree strongly.
    B. Agree somewhat.
    C. Disagree somewhat.
    D. Disagree strongly.

Ford: A. Agree strongly. Sell high. Varejao is playing like an All-Star this year and he has stayed healthy. A number of teams in contention, led once again by the Timberwolves, are in the hunt for him. The Cavs want multiple young assets or draft picks back in return. Again, I don't see a perfect fit. The Bucks are a possibility, as they have a number of interesting young bigs. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Raptors go after him as well. They have a number of interesting young players (Jonas Valanciunas and Terrence Ross anyone?) and the rumblings out of Toronto sound as though it needs to start winning now.
    Wait, what?
    @sweatpantsjer

ceez wrote: View Post
    Standard run of the mill type stuff, however...

Wait, what?
    That won't happen.
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

For Varejao I see Jose+Amir.

Comment

Ross and JV for Varejao?

That might actually make me stop following the Raptors. Seriously. That would be beyond bad on so many levels.

Comment

Chad Ford is a moron when it comes to the Raptors.. but if he has tangible sources and they are accurate than Bryan's head needs to find a platter real soon. We should definitely not be in 'win now' mode. That is bullsh!t talk!

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
            THIS.

Varejao - Ed - JV - Gray

Front court set forever.
            Trade Varejao when JV becomes unstoppable. There are 96 minutes to go around the front court positions, I could see all of them averaging 30 minutes a game equally. JV and Ed will want to extend a little bit of range, but if Amir can do it, anyone can!

AND we still have Bargnani to deal.
            http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cykbnrv

Bargs for Ridnour + D Williams

We end up with:

PG: Lowry/Ridnour
            SG: Ross/Fields
            SF: Derozan/Williams
            PF: Ed
            C: Varajao/Valancuinas/Gray

I dream of a team...
            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Ross and JV for Varejao?

That might actually make me stop following the Raptors. Seriously. That would be beyond bad on so many levels.
              Agree 100%. i get angry just thinking about it.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Can't see the Cavs having any interest in this. With Irving they really have no need for Calderon, and therefore he'd probably leave after this season. It would then basically become Varejao for Amir, which is a clear downgrade for the Cavs.

Comment

Varejao is playing like a maddog (I mean seriously where is all this coming from? He's like Kevin Love right now, with a crazy a haircut). Still, trading both rookies for him? Madness.
                  your pal,
                  ebrian

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                    THIS.

AND we still have Bargnani to deal.
                    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cykbnrv

Sad thing is that Bargs has a lower PER than Derrick Williams. Ugggh.
                    Deadallus

Comment

I dont think he meant both rookies, I think he meant the raps have some trade pieces INCLUDING JV and Ross, not exclusively both!

Comment

Yeah exactly, But I still don't get why the Cavs want to trade Varejao

Comment

to sell high?

He is 30 and all of a sudden peaks like a morning boner. Its the best time for the cavs to trade him! It is doubtful that this is sustainable for multiple season anyways

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                            I dont think he meant both rookies, I think he meant the raps have some trade pieces INCLUDING JV and Ross, not exclusively both!
                            Yeah thats how I read it aswell.

I thought the scariest part of the article is what Ford said. That teams don't want his contract and it may take a young player to get a deal done? Makes the talked about Pau Gasol deal sound better and better thats for sure.

Comment

Yeah exactly, But I still don't get why the Cavs want to trade Varejao
                              The Cavs are smart. They are a true rebuilding team. Varejao is not a winner. He gets good stats on a bad team (sound familiar?) but is already 30 and would most likely not be on the team when they become contenders instead of pretenders.

The Cavs will also be seeking the moon for him. They would want an all-star caliber player back, draft picks or young prospects (similar to what OKC got with Harden). Cavs are selling high, just like Bryan will be doing with Andrea. The difference is that Varejao is playing like an all-star this season where as Bargnani is playing like a stiff.

Comment

Working...
                              X