Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: What if Ross was getting the mins that DeRozan was getting in his rookie year?

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,271
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    I honestly don't see Ross being better than Derozan. I like Ross, he is fairly more skilled than Derozan is, but, I don't know, Ross's ceiling isn't nearly as high as Derozan's.

    One thing to remember in all of this is Ross is 1.5 years older than DD was as a rookie but right now it is evident that:

    1) Ross has a better handle than DD did as a rook,
    2) Ross is already a much better defender than DD,
    3) Ross is a much better shooter mechanically and I feel confident that with more experience he will be better statistically as well,
    4) Ross is not a good rebounder now and it took DD in to his 4th year to start doing it,
    5) Neither are great passers,
    6) while both players are extremely athletic, Ross seems to have much more fluidity and explosiveness.

    It is all opinion afterall until a few years down the road but I'm excited about Ross' potential.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,381
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    One thing to remember in all of this is Ross is 1.5 years older than DD was as a rookie but right now it is evident that:

    1) Ross has a better handle than DD did as a rook,
    2) Ross is already a much better defender than DD,
    3) Ross is a much better shooter mechanically and I feel confident that with more experience he will be better statistically as well,
    4) Ross is not a good rebounder now and it took DD in to his 4th year to start doing it,
    5) Neither are great passers,
    6) while both players are extremely athletic, Ross seems to have much more fluidity and explosiveness.

    It is all opinion afterall until a few years down the road but I'm excited about Ross' potential.
    That begs the question.. if a trade was available where we could land a stud and the opposing team needed one of either Ross or DeMar to make the deal happen, but we could decide which would stay and which would go - who would you give up?

    It probably depends on the player coming back.. but who would you trade? Since the Raptors are not competing for another 2-3 years, I would trade DeMar and keep Ross, but it would be a tough decision. Almost as hard as Sophie's choice.

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,271
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    That begs the question.. if a trade was available where we could land a stud and the opposing team needed one of either Ross or DeMar to make the deal happen, but we could decide which would stay and which would go - who would you give up?

    It probably depends on the player coming back.. but who would you trade? Since the Raptors are not competing for another 2-3 years, I would trade DeMar and keep Ross, but it would be a tough decision. Almost as hard as Sophie's choice.
    If it was a SG coming, it would have to be a real stud otherwise I would not bother.

    If it was a SF coming, it would be DD for me.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic Starter japetas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Ross's ceiling isn't nearly as high as Derozan's.
    I can't agree. I'm not saying that Demar isn't talented but Ross looks quicker and even more athletic. He's already better defender than Demar, and he has soft touch from outside. When Demar shoots from behind the arc it looks like he puts a lot of effort to throw the ball (maybe it's wrong observation) while Ross shots it easily.
    (Sorry for poor English )

  5. #25
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    One thing to remember in all of this is Ross is 1.5 years older than DD was as a rookie but right now it is evident that:

    1) Ross has a better handle than DD did as a rook,
    2) Ross is already a much better defender than DD,
    3) Ross is a much better shooter mechanically and I feel confident that with more experience he will be better statistically as well,
    4) Ross is not a good rebounder now and it took DD in to his 4th year to start doing it,
    5) Neither are great passers,
    6) while both players are extremely athletic, Ross seems to have much more fluidity and explosiveness.

    It is all opinion afterall until a few years down the road but I'm excited about Ross' potential.
    Quote japetas wrote: View Post
    I can't agree. I'm not saying that Demar isn't talented but Ross looks quicker and even more athletic. He's already better defender than Demar, and he has soft touch from outside. When Demar shoots from behind the arc it looks like he puts a lot of effort to throw the ball (maybe it's wrong observation) while Ross shots it easily.
    Don't worry, I'm not trashing your opinions or Ross! I just have this feeling that I can't see Ross being better than Derozan.

    If Derozan continues to work his way, I said in an original post in the 'Everything DeChosen' thread, I would put him in the tier of wings with players like Luol Deng, Danny Granger, Joe Johnson, Andre Iguodala.

    You have to remember, that his strengths were basically his athleticism. He was extremely raw, he didn't have the many basic skills that superstars in the league came into.

    Wade was a born star, Durant, Carmelo, LeBron, Bryant. These guys are players you don't find very often.

    Guys like Joe Johnson, Luol Deng, Danny Granger, Andre Iguodala. These guys are the tier of wings I would put Demar in when it's all said and done, because unlike the stars who were born into very good wing players, these players were MADE into very good wing players. The names above took a while before they could really blow onto the scene as an elite wing player, compared to Durant, LeBron, Bryant, who were drafted basically as established stars.

    There are players who are already stars, and there are players who work hard to get there. Patience is key if you want the work to be shown. I think people are underrating the time it takes to really work on one's game to become better, especially with the rawness Derozan came into the league with.
    http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...en-quot/page92

    While Ross's future looks very good as well, I wouldn't put him in that type of tier. I was thinking more along the lines of Jason Richardson, J.R Smith, Nick Young, & Lou Williams. All very, very skilled players, fantastic shooters, and all very athletic. BUT, the one thing Ross has over these guys, is the defense. If Ross could develop into one of these type of guys, he would be a great, great pick for us at 8. Even if the offensive game and development doesn't pan out, he could be one of those 3-&-D type players like Thabo Sefolosha, Keith Bogans, Deshawn Stevenson, Metta World Peace. Low risk, but lower reward player from the draft.

    Now, for me, being a huge Derozan homer, I see Derozan's potential higher up, but I'm not saying Ross can't pass him, it's that I can't SEE him passing Derozan. There's just a different talent level between the 2, but time will tell once Ross is given the minutes, and the year experience.

    If Derozan is continuing to grow, and works on his body, not to mention the great athleticism he has, there's no question he is capable of playing at the 3. Move Ross to the 2, and you have what Casey was preaching all Summer. Wings get out and run, defend, get in the passing lanes, and give you floor spacing.

    Also, Ross does seem to have more of a fluidity and explosiveness athleticism wise, but, Derozan has a power and an ease with his athleticism. Ross is a fantastic runner, and can get up extremely high, but Derozan has great hang-time, and has superb fitness.

  6. #26
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,750
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Don't worry, I'm not trashing your opinions or Ross! I just have this feeling that I can't see Ross being better than Derozan.

    If Derozan continues to work his way, I said in an original post in the 'Everything DeChosen' thread, I would put him in the tier of wings with players like Luol Deng, Danny Granger, Joe Johnson, Andre Iguodala.



    http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...en-quot/page92

    While Ross's future looks very good as well, I wouldn't put him in that type of tier. I was thinking more along the lines of Jason Richardson, J.R Smith, Nick Young, & Lou Williams. All very, very skilled players, fantastic shooters, and all very athletic. BUT, the one thing Ross has over these guys, is the defense. If Ross could develop into one of these type of guys, he would be a great, great pick for us at 8. Even if the offensive game and development doesn't pan out, he could be one of those 3-&-D type players like Thabo Sefolosha, Keith Bogans, Deshawn Stevenson, Metta World Peace. Low risk, but lower reward player from the draft.

    Now, for me, being a huge Derozan homer, I see Derozan's potential higher up, but I'm not saying Ross can't pass him, it's that I can't SEE him passing Derozan. There's just a different talent level between the 2, but time will tell once Ross is given the minutes, and the year experience.

    If Derozan is continuing to grow, and works on his body, not to mention the great athleticism he has, there's no question he is capable of playing at the 3. Move Ross to the 2, and you have what Casey was preaching all Summer. Wings get out and run, defend, get in the passing lanes, and give you floor spacing.

    Also, Ross does seem to have more of a fluidity and explosiveness athleticism wise, but, Derozan has a power and an ease with his athleticism. Ross is a fantastic runner, and can get up extremely high, but Derozan has great hang-time, and has superb fitness.
    I think you're selling Ross short here. Don't get me wrong, i love DeMar just as much as you do. But Ross is looking very good and he's doing some impressive things on the court that DeMar still can't do. He has major elevation on his jump, Great shooting stroke, and he is quick and moves his feet on D. He seems like a steal to me and looks like he could surpass DeMar if he has the desire to. If he pans out and becomes a good player, then him and DeRozan at the 2 and 3 would be absolutely deadly in transition. It would almost be like Carter and Mcgrady
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

  7. #27
    Raptors Republic Starter draftedraptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    603
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ross has great mechanics and shooting stroke. Ross is a better defender, explosive, fluid, more athletic and STILL WONT BE BETTER THAN DEMAR.

    He can prove me wrong anytime.

  8. #28
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Man, do I have a man-crush on Ross.

    Everyone, please do forget EVERYTHING I've said about Ross. I'm turning into a Ross homer. LOL.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •