Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: BC gets lambasted again.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    I think its very difficult to get a good grasp of anyone on that Kings organization because they are such a mess. I don't watch alot of Sacramento ball so I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on them but how they view their players seems so chaotic. One minute they are treating Evans like a franchise player, and then they try to move him around and take the ball out of his hands. Then it looks like they are going to Cousins, and they do the same thing there. The team shows some promise with Thomas running the point, and Smart proceeds to bench him and leave him deep in the depth chart. They show no signs of wanting anything resembling leadership on the court. Ownership is trying its hardest to pinch every dime to the point I'm sure they'd pay their players in General Mills coupons if possible. From all accounts they can't wait to get the team out of Sacramento.

Cousin's was viewed as a hot head before coming into the league, and hasn't shown much to change that reputation. But that entire organization is a complete disaster. A bit tin foil hat here, but I'm actually quite convinced they are trying to put their players in bad situations so they can undercut their salaries when rookie deals run out.
    All good points.

My thought is because things are chaotic around you it doesn't mean you have to add to the chaos or lower yourself to that level. I know we are talking about a young man with maturity problems as it is but his actions and response to his environment is exactly why I would not want him on any team I was associated with or cheered for.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Definitely would not want that guy [Cousins]. I'd probably take Beasley over him. Wowzers, that is bad.
    There is no way you'd take Beasley; your stance on talented-but-crazy players is well known!

And that consistent stance deserves a +100 in my book.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

1) Bosh is not a franchise cornerstone and should not be compared to LBJ or D12 - like, ever. Selecting Bargnani with Bosh already on roster was a mistake though - no question.
    Thing is though, at the time the consensus was Aldridge or Bargs for #1. And Aldridge was more of a known quantity and even more of a duplicate of Bosh's game. Shitty selection, yes. But it was a shitty draft. After Aldridge you had Adam Morrison, Tyrus Thomas, and Shelden Williams. Roy was great for a minute there, but the reason he wasn't in the conversation for #1 were his knees, and that turned out to be a pretty valid judgement.

I can't stand Bargnani, I hated the contract extension from day 1, and I hate how many minutes he's been given here over the course of his career. But drafting him made plenty of sense, and I wouldn't call it a mistake. It was a high-risk bet that had a gigantic potential payoff. The thing I fault BC on is not knowing when to cut his losses.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tkfu wrote: View Post
    Thing is though, at the time the consensus was Aldridge or Bargs for #1. And Aldridge was more of a known quantity and even more of a duplicate of Bosh's game. Shitty selection, yes. But it was a shitty draft. After Aldridge you had Adam Morrison, Tyrus Thomas, and Shelden Williams. Roy was great for a minute there, but the reason he wasn't in the conversation for #1 were his knees, and that turned out to be a pretty valid judgement.

I can't stand Bargnani, I hated the contract extension from day 1, and I hate how many minutes he's been given here over the course of his career. But drafting him made plenty of sense, and I wouldn't call it a mistake. It was a high-risk bet that had a gigantic potential payoff. The thing I fault BC on is not knowing when to cut his losses.
    All valid points. I've made the same in the past. Rudy Gay was also on BC's radar. Clearly he does not care about projections as evident by the Ross selection. Raps were in desperate need of a SF and there was a 6'8", 7''2" wingspan SF available. Obviously a case of hindsight on my part but the need was there nonetheless.

I agree with your take on when to cut losses but I'll raise you one more: with the selection of Bargnani and giving the Raps 2 jump shooting bigs who did not care to mix it up on either end of the court, one should have been traded immediately.

I am totally being an armchair GM here and it is really easy to do so with the benefit of history on your side. Making decision in the 'here and now' changes everything which is why the bold statement above gets a huge +1.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

... Making decision in the 'here and now' changes everything which is why the bold statement above gets a huge +1.
    Just read about an interesting study on how people over value things they have. Two groups of college students entered into a draw for NCAA tournament tickets. Half won, half didn't. the study authors than asked the losers what was the absolute max they would pay for tickets if some extras came available. Average answer was $178. Then they asked the winners what was the absolute lowest price they would sell their tickets for if a buyer could be found. average sale price was $2400. Huge mismatch in perceived value.

You see the same thing all the time at yard sales. Some people price their stuff at brand new (on sale) prices. Once something is in your possession, there is a tendency to over value to justify your acquisition cost.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information