Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NCAA to suspend Texas guard Myck Kabongo for season

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default NCAA to suspend Texas guard Myck Kabongo for season

In most impermissible benefits situations, players usually are suspended from three to 10 games and ordered to repay the amount of the benefits received. In this case, the penalty was made more severe because Kabongo provided inaccurate information to NCAA investigators when he was interviewed, sources with ties to Texas' basketball program said.
    Source

Didn't see this anywhere in the forums but thought people would be interested. Mods, feel free to move this to a more appropriate section... is it just me or is it weird that there isn't an Everything NCAA section?
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

maybe raps can land him in the 2nd round??

Post Thanks / Like

What a shame. This kid just made a large shit stain on his possible future career.

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Sig wrote: View Post
    What a shame. This kid just made a large shit stain on his possible future career.
    i disagree..being suspended for an NCAA season hasnt hurt Kanter's carreer outlook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    i disagree..being suspended for an NCAA season hasnt hurt Kanter's carreer outlook
    That is true. But Kanter still had the opportunity to play elsewhere while still showcasing his talents so it didn't hurt his draft stock as bad as it could have.

I'm not writing off Kabongo, but doing something so stupid like this is disappointing. All you get is one chance!

Post Thanks / Like

That is true. But Kanter still had the opportunity to play elsewhere while still showcasing his talents so it didn't hurt his draft stock as bad as it could have.
    Actually, the year before his draft Kanter spent the entire year just practicing with Kentucky .. and thats it. Pretty sure for two years, all people saw of him was the Nike Hoops Summit games, or whatever they are.

And the other thing being, is that Myck doesn't really HAVE any Draft Stock to begin with. Haha
    I'd be surprised if he squeeked into the 1st Round.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Kabongo can showcase his talent in the D league or Europe, no problem. Any teams that steer clear because a 17-18 year old kid makes a mistake like this deserves to miss out. If Kabongo has talent, he will be drafted. If his stock falls, so much the better for some lucky team. he will pay for his mistake with three years of lower salary, because of falling in the draft, if that happens.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    The big difference here is Kabongo actually did play in the NCAA and had a disappointing year.

Kanter never got to play and had the whole mystery appeal.

Big versus small argument also comes in to play.

I think this is really unfortunate for the guy.

I hope he leaves college after this year. I think there is no doubt he gets drafted. For guys that actually make it in the league, they are better off being drafted in the 2nd round anyways versus mid-to-late first round..... now the guys who actually make it, especially in the 2nd round, are few and far between.

Toronto would be absolutely nuts not to take him in the 2nd round if he is sitting there.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    The big difference here is Kabongo actually did play in the NCAA and had a disappointing year.

Kanter never got to play and had the whole mystery appeal.

Big versus small argument also comes in to play.

I think this is really unfortunate for the guy.

I hope he leaves college after this year. I think there is no doubt he gets drafted. For guys that actually make it in the league, they are better off being drafted in the 2nd round anyways versus mid-to-late first round..... now the guys who actually make it, especially in the 2nd round, are few and far between.

Toronto would be absolutely nuts not to take him in the 2nd round if he is sitting there.
    I suppose it depends a bit on where they pick and what they need. You are right though he shat the bed last season badly and didn't do himself any favours for the upcoming draft. What would you advise him to do? Go to Europe, D League, just work on skill etc.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess it is one thing to get caught making a mistake like this, but to then lie about it in the hearing or whatever does not make him look very good at all. Questionable morals and character.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

if he quit school could he sign somewhere?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Actually, the year before his draft Kanter spent the entire year just practicing with Kentucky .. and thats it. Pretty sure for two years, all people saw of him was the Nike Hoops Summit games, or whatever they are.
    I guess I'm wrong then, I could've swore I saw him in some Euroleague or FIBA games a couple years ago.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Soooo, what happens to the asshole agent?

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm wrong then, I could've swore I saw him in some Euroleague or FIBA games a couple years ago.
    He played in the U-19 (?) tournament, which took place after the draft. Same one the Jonas played in and dominated. Could be the one you're thinking of?
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    if he quit school could he sign somewhere?
    I don't see why not. As soon as he signs with an agent, he's eligible to sign within the league as he's completed the required one year post-high school.

I guess it would just look really bad if he drops out of school because he kicked off the team. Sort of shows where Education lies in the priority scale, right? Haha
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    He played in the U-19 (?) tournament, which took place after the draft. Same one the Jonas played in and dominated. Could be the one you're thinking of?
    I honestly have no idea lol, all I remember is him wearing a red jersey and playing alongside Turkoglu. Or im just seeing things

Raptors Republic Starter Deadallus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Johnny Manziel was sitting courtside at the Heat/Mavs game. Wonder how he got those?????
    Deadallus

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OTFP wrote: View Post
    Soooo, what happens to the asshole agent?
    Yeah Big time agent probably coached him what to provide.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I read something on ESPN recently that once a player is enrolled in a NCAA school he is not eligible to play in the D league that season. I can't think of a single player that jumped from the NCAA to the D league in mid season.

Jonathan Givony of Draft Express told SNY.tv: ďDepends what he decides to do between now and the draft. After his poor freshman season scouts needed to see how much he improves as a sophomore. I donít think heís shown enough to be considered a definite first rounder based on upside alone. Heíll have to show more somewhere. Unfortunately Iím not sure the D-League is an option for him because he was already enrolled at Texas.Ē
    Last edited by stretch; Fri Dec 21st, 2012 at 08:51 AM.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Kabongo's suspension reduced!

Myck had his suspension reduced to 23 games on appeal to the NCAA. He gets to play again on on Feb. 13 against Iowa State with eight games remaining in the conference schedule.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information