View Poll Results: Who do you keep?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Demar, he's a proven commodity!

4 10.53%
  • Ross, way more potential and a rookie deal!

4 10.53%
  • Keep both and figure it out! Too much talent to trade!

30 78.95%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DD or Ross: who do you keep?

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DD or Ross: who do you keep?

The Raptors have a happy problem: we drafted Ross and he actually looks very good. Sweet stroke, lots of speed and leaping ability, good defender even as a rookie....lot's of potential for a star shooting guard. We already have a pretty good shooting guard in DD, who is close to a 20 point scorer already, pulls down 5 boards a game and get a couple assists. Demar is 2 years older but still has some development to go through and he could easily get to be an all star in the east.

In my opinion having two guys as similar as these two who play the same position is great...if you are winning games. For us, we have so many holes I don't see how we can keep two guys who have high trade values on the team when only one of them is likely to be part of our future starting 5. So who do you move? Ross is younger, he's athletic and already seems more skilled, though he'll never have Demar's size. Derozan is already a good player in his own right and is a bit more proven: Ross could still bust. One thing to consider here is when we intend to compete. If we are rebuilding again, maybe Ros is better so he can grow up in the new system. If we want playoffs next year, maybe you want someone a little farther along.

I would trade Ross before DD, I'm big on having NBA proven talent and Demar has at least shown he can play in this league at a high level.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Post Thanks / Like

Trade both for an elite contributor

Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing says both cant be kept. There's nothing wrong with a 6th man role for one of them and demar could start at the 3 eventually.

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Both.

Move DeMar to the 3. Problem Solved.

OR

Use Ross as a 6th man like Jamal Crawford or James Harden last year.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Post Thanks / Like

Keep both players....doesn't make sense to get rid of either! Both are young and both can score and both can lead to better things. We have a lot of other dead weight to get rid of before even considering either one of them! Barg's,Kleiza etc.

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

As for now I say keep both. This year, DeMar is our starting shooting guard. It's not like we were in a rush of starting Ross. Like TRex said, He could be our 6th man, even next year. After if we get a solid PF (Whether it's ED or someone else), DeMar could move to the 3, or we trade one of the two. But I say don't trade any of them until at least 2014.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

if someone was offering a 2014 lottery pick for demar I would do it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL you are too funny!!..... just any lotto pick will do huh? Thank GOD your not our GM...... even though you might do a better job than him! YIKES

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

ross

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

We know Casey's philosophy, that he doesn't thing in terms of SGs and SFs, just in terms of wings and bigs. So as long as he's coach here, it's unlikely that we'd see either of them moved simply because they both are classified as SGs. And I agree with that approach. Don't be in a rush to move either of them until they prove they can't play together, or until the opportunity comes along to grab a wing who's a clear upgrade on either of them.
    So far, they've looked quite compatible during their time on the court together. If Ross continues to develop his existing strengths, it really meshes well with the rest of our core. A wing player who can defend, run the floor, and hit the three is pretty much one of the most useful types of players in the game.
    I hope that when Lowry gets back, we see an occasional glimpse of a Lowry/Ross/DeRozan/Davis/Valanciunas lineup. For me, that's the potential lineup of the future.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    As for now I say keep both. This year, DeMar is our starting shooting guard. It's not like we were in a rush of starting Ross. Like TRex said, He could be our 6th man, even next year. After if we get a solid PF (Whether it's ED or someone else), DeMar could move to the 3, or we trade one of the two. But I say don't trade any of them until at least 2014.
    Agree. We have seen Demars best(almost). Let's wait to see Ross' best. It seems like it's going to be pretty good.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

keep both. Really silly question some of our best minutes is with them both on the floor.

Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

both look good, dont see why we need to rush this one

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    keep both. Really silly question some of our best minutes is with them both on the floor.
    +1 very silly question. We have them both for the next 4 years. Lets be happy about that. Doesn't really seem like either of them have an ego problem like Tracy and Vince did. We should be able to keep both long term.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    I don't like that one of them will play out of position if we start them together. Demar is fine against teams like the magic who aren't big at the 3, but against the Lebrons and Josh Smiths of the world, he may have some trouble. Point taken though, for now the combo seems to be working out and maybe they are making me change to the third option.
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a feeling at the end of their careers TRoss will have the better overall game, primarily because he seems to be a capable defender despite it only being his rookie year and him yet to grow into his body. Granted sample size is small, but even DD during his rookie year hadn't impressed defensively as Ross so far.

Demar, at this point, doesn't look like he's going to be any better as a defender as he lacks the instincts for it. He might end up having the higher average in points, but will be a lesser team-player. I'm all about having players in the team who can contribute on both ends of the court.

I don't think either one of them would be good enough starters on a contender. So if one or both have to be traded for better talent, I'd go for it. But if I had to only pick one, I'm going for Ross with his potential of being two-dimensional. There's been a serious lack of that type of player in this team for a while now. It's mostly defensively challenged players, complemented by offensively challenged ones. Rarely has anyone able to do BOTH well.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    I don't like that one of them will play out of position if we start them together. Demar is fine against teams like the magic who aren't big at the 3, but against the Lebrons and Josh Smiths of the world, he may have some trouble. Point taken though, for now the combo seems to be working out and maybe they are making me change to the third option.
    There is only one Lebron and Josh Smith is a PF. The league is going small.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    There is only one Lebron and Josh Smith is a PF. The league is going small.
    Kevin Durant, Carmelo, Deng, Gallinari... there are still some small forwards out there who have a size advantage that will negate Demar's post game and cause him problems on D. Still, you are mostly right and 6'7" isn't bad for a small forward anyway. I have just been enjoying his post game lately and that will likely disappear if he is being guarded by small forwards.
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Alan Anderson plays 3 the league isn't as textbook as it once was, and for players like Lebron and etc, thats why the Zone defense exists lol and Casey doesnt feel bad at all for using it.

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I quite honestly find this a silly question.

Both are two of our most talented players on this team. These 2, Lowry, Valanciunas and Davis are guys I consider "untouchable" in the sense I would prefer them not to be in trade discussion UNLESS, it was for the right deal.

After a game like tonight, I take back EVERYTHING I've said about Ross (nothing negative, but throwing him under the radar), but I feel like he will be our star. Huge Derozan homer here, but Ross has a stage presence, and his ability to do almost everything on the court is sensational.

#TerrenceTime everybody!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information