No announcement yet.

DD or Ross: who do you keep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a feeling at the end of their careers TRoss will have the better overall game, primarily because he seems to be a capable defender despite it only being his rookie year and him yet to grow into his body. Granted sample size is small, but even DD during his rookie year hadn't impressed defensively as Ross so far.

Demar, at this point, doesn't look like he's going to be any better as a defender as he lacks the instincts for it. He might end up having the higher average in points, but will be a lesser team-player. I'm all about having players in the team who can contribute on both ends of the court.

I don't think either one of them would be good enough starters on a contender. So if one or both have to be traded for better talent, I'd go for it. But if I had to only pick one, I'm going for Ross with his potential of being two-dimensional. There's been a serious lack of that type of player in this team for a while now. It's mostly defensively challenged players, complemented by offensively challenged ones. Rarely has anyone able to do BOTH well.

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
      I don't like that one of them will play out of position if we start them together. Demar is fine against teams like the magic who aren't big at the 3, but against the Lebrons and Josh Smiths of the world, he may have some trouble. Point taken though, for now the combo seems to be working out and maybe they are making me change to the third option.
      There is only one Lebron and Josh Smith is a PF. The league is going small.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        There is only one Lebron and Josh Smith is a PF. The league is going small.
        Kevin Durant, Carmelo, Deng, Gallinari... there are still some small forwards out there who have a size advantage that will negate Demar's post game and cause him problems on D. Still, you are mostly right and 6'7" isn't bad for a small forward anyway. I have just been enjoying his post game lately and that will likely disappear if he is being guarded by small forwards.
        "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Alan Anderson plays 3 the league isn't as textbook as it once was, and for players like Lebron and etc, thats why the Zone defense exists lol and Casey doesnt feel bad at all for using it.

Comment

I quite honestly find this a silly question.

Both are two of our most talented players on this team. These 2, Lowry, Valanciunas and Davis are guys I consider "untouchable" in the sense I would prefer them not to be in trade discussion UNLESS, it was for the right deal.

After a game like tonight, I take back EVERYTHING I've said about Ross (nothing negative, but throwing him under the radar), but I feel like he will be our star. Huge Derozan homer here, but Ross has a stage presence, and his ability to do almost everything on the court is sensational.

#TerrenceTime everybody!
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Thing is Ross is a very un-assuming kid, very shy and soft spoken in interviews but when he plays he changes into Mr Hyde lol that putback dunk was just no regard for poor Reddick's well being lol.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                Thing is Ross is a very un-assuming kid, very shy and soft spoken in interviews but when he plays he changes into Mr Hyde lol that putback dunk was just no regard for poor Reddick's well being lol.
                I love the stumble *slash* flail Redick did as Ross came down with the aerial assault.

Highlight of the year thus far, in my opinion!

Comment

Don't want to be a "prisoner of the moment" but I am now sold on this kid after rippin' him ever since he got drafted. can anyone make a pic of that cover with t-mac and vince for ross and derozan? would appreciate it!
                  "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    I love the stumble *slash* flail Redick did as Ross came down with the aerial assault.

Highlight of the year thus far, in my opinion!

the facial expression he had when running back on defense was like "Dam I did Redick like that" priceless he knew it was just a disgusting dunk.

Comment

Keep both and see what happens...We might get a glimpse of what could have been with Vince and Tmac in these two guys.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post

Terrence Ross WITH NO REGARD FOR HUMAN LIFE!
                        TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                          The Raptors have a happy problem: we drafted Ross and he actually looks very good. Sweet stroke, lots of speed and leaping ability, good defender even as a rookie....lot's of potential for a star shooting guard. We already have a pretty good shooting guard in DD, who is close to a 20 point scorer already, pulls down 5 boards a game and get a couple assists. Demar is 2 years older but still has some development to go through and he could easily get to be an all star in the east.

In my opinion having two guys as similar as these two who play the same position is great...if you are winning games. For us, we have so many holes I don't see how we can keep two guys who have high trade values on the team when only one of them is likely to be part of our future starting 5. So who do you move? Ross is younger, he's athletic and already seems more skilled, though he'll never have Demar's size. Derozan is already a good player in his own right and is a bit more proven: Ross could still bust. One thing to consider here is when we intend to compete. If we are rebuilding again, maybe Ros is better so he can grow up in the new system. If we want playoffs next year, maybe you want someone a little farther along.

I would trade Ross before DD, I'm big on having NBA proven talent and Demar has at least shown he can play in this league at a high level.
                          It all depends on who is coming back in the trade. If it was a slashing SF then DeMar would be trade bait. If it was a guy who can shoot then Ross. Otherwise I would pick Ross over DD.

I am still not a fan of his new contract. I've mentioned this in a different thread once, but even though I acknowledge DeMar has improved, in my opinion he has not improved enough to warrant that new contract or to be a core guy. He plays a lot of minutes (most in the league if I recall), but still puts up fairly mediocre stats. That would be fine but his defense has a lot to be desired. I'd choose Ross if I had to make a decision. However I'd prefer to keep both unless we are getting back a really good player, then I would keep Ross over DeMar in my opinion.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                            It all depends on who is coming back in the trade. If it was a slashing SF then DeMar would be trade bait. If it was a guy who can shoot then Ross. Otherwise I would pick Ross over DD.

I am still not a fan of his new contract. I've mentioned this in a different thread once, but even though I acknowledge DeMar has improved, in my opinion he has not improved enough to warrant that new contract or to be a core guy. He plays a lot of minutes (most in the league if I recall), but still puts up fairly mediocre stats. That would be fine but his defense has a lot to be desired. I'd choose Ross if I had to make a decision. However I'd prefer to keep both unless we are getting back a really good player, then I would keep Ross over DeMar in my opinion.
                            I agree with this. The only thing giving me 'hope' on the deal is the contract does not kick in until next season. If he can make another jump next year like he did this year with improvement on the defensive side of the ball, BC might be looking many look pretty silly. The flip side is if none of that happens, then BC looks silly - yet again. What makes me frustrated is he willingly gave away all the leverage the Raps had in the situation.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              What makes me frustrated is he willingly gave away all the leverage the Raps had in the situation.
                              I too did not like the fact that he signed him to that extension hence giving away leverage. One has to understand though that Bryan Colangelo is in quite a different position than an observer. If Demar finishes the year with his present numbers(18pts. 5rbs. 2asts.) he could easily command a salary of 50-55mil. over 5 yrs. When you compare that with the 4 yr. 39mil. he was given, you realise why BC did it.
                              Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                                I too did not like the fact that he signed him to that extension hence giving away leverage. One has to understand though that Bryan Colangelo is in quite a different position than an observer. If Demar finishes the year with his present numbers(18pts. 5rbs. 2asts.) he could easily command a salary of 50-55mil. over 5 yrs. When you compare that with the 4 yr. 39mil. he was given, you realise why BC did it.
                                Another team cannot offer a 5 year contract.

Colangelo took a huge risk in signing DeMar to the contract he did when the worst case scenario was possibly another $1.5M per season. The odds of a team offering him $11M were just as good as a team offering him $8M or less. Either way the Raptors still had the right to match.

Comment

Working...
                                X