Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Under The Radar? No, proven.

  1. #1
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,041
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Under The Radar? No, proven.

    Since we drafted Ross, the first couple weeks, I'm not gonna lie. I was a little disappointed because we didn't draft Austin Rivers. He had one good game in the Summer League, the rest were fairly mediocre. From that point on, I sort of threw Ross under the radar, and sort of just said "yeah, yeah, he'll be okay."

    Being a huge Derozan homer, with people comparing the 2, I found it silly (I still find it silly today with the complete differences in style of game-play), because Derozan also has the potential to be very good. I guess I was going under some tunnel vision at the time, and not truly recognizing that Ross was (and still) a project.

    But, ever since he started getting some burn, man he hasn't disappointed. The guy can handle the ball, he can shoot from basically anywhere on the floor, arguably as good as athleticism as Demar (some say better), wonderful on-ball, system defender, and he knows the game of basketball. Not to mention the stage presence he possesses. Every time he touches the ball, it gives you a random feeling he's going to pull off something spectacular.

    So, my point is, Terrence Ross has proven me - probably many as well - wrong. This guy is a really good talent, with really good potential. I'm just excited to have two really good wing players, who will be with this team for awhile, and both willing to grow and get better at each part of the game.

    Time to get my head out of my Derozan homer head, because there's no doubt Ross has the capabilities to be a better player than Demar, not to mention he could be an elite wing in the league.

    With all the Bargnani stuff going on, and the BC mistakes, I'm just happy to know we've got a really bright future (near, and far) with Ross, Derozan, Valanciunas, Lowry, and Davis.

    Oh yeah, forgot Jonas Valanciunas is on this team... That's a good thing by the way.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I was watching a Warriors game and Ric Bucher had done an informal pole of assistant coaches and others on who would be rookie of the year. The results were 1. Lillard 2. Davis 3. Ross So clearly other coaches are taking notice of him as a player, since his stats aren't overwhelming.

    I don't really trust myself as a talent evaluator, but I'm finally allowing myself to really love Ross. I believe his shot issues are most likely a transition/nerves type issue and that he's going to be a very good shooter. I love his confidence and the fact that he keeps putting it up - nothing worse than for a rookie to lose confidence, I believe confidence is one of hte most important elements for success in the league. I think he's one of the most athletic players in the entire league when combining his foot speed and the height and quickness of his jumping. He's got to be one of the best dunkers in the league. His defence is certainly impressive for a rookie. He's not perfect, but he gets blown by rarely and he has very good instincts on steals. He challenges shots very well with his amazingly quick hops. Blocked a three attempt last night - honestly, how often does that happen?

    I was also dissapointed when I heard his name, I thought Drummond was a no brainer and also liked Rivers, but Ross is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. He also just seems likeable, has a easy smile and a professional air about him.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    740
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Since we drafted Ross, the first couple weeks, I'm not gonna lie. I was a little disappointed because we didn't draft Austin Rivers. He had one good game in the Summer League, the rest were fairly mediocre. From that point on, I sort of threw Ross under the radar, and sort of just said "yeah, yeah, he'll be okay."

    Being a huge Derozan homer, with people comparing the 2, I found it silly (I still find it silly today with the complete differences in style of game-play), because Derozan also has the potential to be very good. I guess I was going under some tunnel vision at the time, and not truly recognizing that Ross was (and still) a project.

    But, ever since he started getting some burn, man he hasn't disappointed. The guy can handle the ball, he can shoot from basically anywhere on the floor, arguably as good as athleticism as Demar (some say better), wonderful on-ball, system defender, and he knows the game of basketball. Not to mention the stage presence he possesses. Every time he touches the ball, it gives you a random feeling he's going to pull off something spectacular.

    So, my point is, Terrence Ross has proven me - probably many as well - wrong. This guy is a really good talent, with really good potential. I'm just excited to have two really good wing players, who will be with this team for awhile, and both willing to grow and get better at each part of the game.

    Time to get my head out of my Derozan homer head, because there's no doubt Ross has the capabilities to be a better player than Demar, not to mention he could be an elite wing in the league.

    With all the Bargnani stuff going on, and the BC mistakes, I'm just happy to know we've got a really bright future (near, and far) with Ross, Derozan, Valanciunas, Lowry, and Davis.

    Oh yeah, forgot Jonas Valanciunas is on this team... That's a good thing by the way.
    Good post .. agree with pretty much everything you said. I have been screaming for T Ross to get more burn since the get go. When he has got it .. he has done very well.

    To address a couple of minor things I disagree with - I was thrilled we didnt take Rivers .. and still am. Dont think this guy has a long term position / career in the league.

    As to athleticism .. there are many things debatable in the comparison between T Ross and DD, but the one thing that is clear to me is that T Ross has much greater athleticism. Especially in the open court where if he only has one man near him, you KNOW T Ross will dunk it. DD just this year is figuring out how slip around his man for the layup in the similar situation. Same goes for in traffic, T Ross just elevates and creates .. ala Vince.

    Not that DD is not athletic (he is) .. but T Ross is special athletically.

    And finally .. I keep saying this .. but the AA thing is going to end badly. I love his grit .. but 2 for 9 last night .. shooting 33% on the year. He HAS to stop shooting and thinking he has an iso game. His mins should be going to T Ross!!!

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,053
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote mountio wrote: View Post
    Good post .. agree with pretty much everything you said. I have been screaming for T Ross to get more burn since the get go. When he has got it .. he has done very well.

    To address a couple of minor things I disagree with - I was thrilled we didnt take Rivers .. and still am. Dont think this guy has a long term position / career in the league.

    As to athleticism .. there are many things debatable in the comparison between T Ross and DD, but the one thing that is clear to me is that T Ross has much greater athleticism. Especially in the open court where if he only has one man near him, you KNOW T Ross will dunk it. DD just this year is figuring out how slip around his man for the layup in the similar situation. Same goes for in traffic, T Ross just elevates and creates .. ala Vince.

    Not that DD is not athletic (he is) .. but T Ross is special athletically.

    And finally .. I keep saying this .. but the AA thing is going to end badly. I love his grit .. but 2 for 9 last night .. shooting 33% on the year. He HAS to stop shooting and thinking he has an iso game. His mins should be going to T Ross!!!

    I have great respect for Anderson but he is a deep bench player who got hot and has been asked to do more than he ever should be expected to do.

    It is time to send Anderson back to the end of the bench.
    It is time to give Ross a bigger role as long as he is working hard.
    It is also time to get Fields back in to the mix.

    AA is averaging 26 minutes over the last 5gms.
    Ross is averaging 19 minutes over the last 5gms.
    Fields has not played.

    AA SHOULD be averaging 0 minutes.
    Ross SHOULD be averaging 25 minutes.
    Fields SHOULD be put back in to the mix with 20 minutes.

    The shoulds are all my opinion, of course.

    *EDIT*

    Pietrus is another player who should be scaled back eventhough he has averaged just 19 minutes the last 5 games - though he has averaged 26 in 11 games.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Dec 22nd, 2012 at 08:35 AM.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    48
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think AA has been great for us, I mean it's since he's come back we've been able to achieve something. Until he does something totally wrong and loses us the game, he should be in there during crunch time as well as a few filler minutes at end of quarters. He's a pesky defender, and has a little bit of the killer instinct we've been lacking. Should he be average 20+ minutes? No. Should he not be playing at all? No. He has to fulfill the role he's been given, and so far, in the couple of games he's been back... bang on! His role however should be adjusted to compensate for the development of Ross. As for t.dot flight 31, consistency is key, and without a doubt I believe he can provide that on the defensive end, the offensive game consistency is yet to be determined in my opinion.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,120
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Qasim311 wrote: View Post
    I think AA has been great for us, I mean it's since he's come back we've been able to achieve something. Until he does something totally wrong and loses us the game, he should be in there during crunch time as well as a few filler minutes at end of quarters. He's a pesky defender, and has a little bit of the killer instinct we've been lacking. Should he be average 20+ minutes? No. Should he not be playing at all? No. He has to fulfill the role he's been given, and so far, in the couple of games he's been back... bang on! His role however should be adjusted to compensate for the development of Ross. As for t.dot flight 31, consistency is key, and without a doubt I believe he can provide that on the defensive end, the offensive game consistency is yet to be determined in my opinion.
    I think Anderson has been great to. I don't see him as a chucker (I personally don't think he takes enough shots to get that sort label - FGA per 36 he is 7th on the team, with over half of those coming from 3 pt range where he is shooting 36.5%, good for 2nd on the team, plus he has the best assist % for any non-PG on the team), and I think he's done so many little things well he's really been a positive.

    Ofcourse the trade off is less minutes for Ross, which ofcourse is a question/problem in and of itself.

    I've said this numerous times though. This team has the same problems it had in the past - trying to 'develop' players for the future while at the same time trying to win now. Ed, Ross, Val all deserve and could use more minutes. But thats not likely to lead to winning (in the short term anyways). On top of that I highly question whether Casey even wants to play rookies if not out of necessity. I made the comparison to Larry Brown this offseason, and I think we are seeing it again here. Val is only getting additional minutes out of necessity. Ed seems to only be getting additional burn because of Bargnani's injury, and even though he's played well over the last few weeks he's only received traditional starter minutes once (?), and I think Ross was only on the floor late yesterday because Casey went extremely small.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    1,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I have great respect for Anderson but he is a deep bench player who got hot and has been asked to do more than he ever should be expected to do.

    It is time to send Anderson back to the end of the bench.
    It is time to give Ross a bigger role as long as he is working hard.
    It is also time to get Fields back in to the mix.

    AA is averaging 26 minutes over the last 5gms.
    Ross is averaging 19 minutes over the last 5gms.
    Fields has not played.

    AA SHOULD be averaging 0 minutes.
    Ross SHOULD be averaging 25 minutes.
    Fields SHOULD be put back in to the mix with 20 minutes.

    The shoulds are all my opinion, of course.

    *EDIT*

    Pietrus is another player who should be scaled back eventhough he has averaged just 19 minutes the last 5 games - though he has averaged 26 in 11 games.
    Of all the people you mentioned, I'll rank them based on how deep in the bench they should be (1 being the deepest).

    1 - Kleiza
    2 - Pietrus
    3 - Anderson
    4 - Ross

    Fields should start again.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I have great respect for Anderson but he is a deep bench player who got hot and has been asked to do more than he ever should be expected to do.

    It is time to send Anderson back to the end of the bench.
    It is time to give Ross a bigger role as long as he is working hard.
    It is also time to get Fields back in to the mix.

    AA is averaging 26 minutes over the last 5gms.
    Ross is averaging 19 minutes over the last 5gms.
    Fields has not played.

    AA SHOULD be averaging 0 minutes.
    Ross SHOULD be averaging 25 minutes.
    Fields SHOULD be put back in to the mix with 20 minutes.

    The shoulds are all my opinion, of course.

    *EDIT*

    Pietrus is another player who should be scaled back eventhough he has averaged just 19 minutes the last 5 games - though he has averaged 26 in 11 games.
    I'm conflicted about this. I think AA is an incredible glue guy who does all the intangible things. He's also tough and filled with swagger. He pushes the other people on the team and shoots a good percentage from 3. For me this is a question of identity...are we rebuilding and developing? Or are we in win now mode. I think that AA is earning his time on the floor but does it ultimately serve the team in the long run. I'm actually good with whatever we do but we have to decide. If we started JV and Ross and bumped Derozan over to the 3 I'd be totally good with that, but we have to decide.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I have great respect for Anderson but he is a deep bench player who got hot and has been asked to do more than he ever should be expected to do.

    It is time to send Anderson back to the end of the bench.
    It is time to give Ross a bigger role as long as he is working hard.
    It is also time to get Fields back in to the mix.

    AA is averaging 26 minutes over the last 5gms.
    Ross is averaging 19 minutes over the last 5gms.
    Fields has not played.

    AA SHOULD be averaging 0 minutes.
    Ross SHOULD be averaging 25 minutes.
    Fields SHOULD be put back in to the mix with 20 minutes.

    The shoulds are all my opinion, of course.

    *EDIT*

    Pietrus is another player who should be scaled back eventhough he has averaged just 19 minutes the last 5 games - though he has averaged 26 in 11 games.
    This probably will happen soon Casey said he wanted to stick with what was working for now to get these Ws Fields hasn;t play really all season the chemistry was riding high he stuck with the rotation. Fields will likely be worked back in come the San Antonio New Orleans games.

    But honestly AA has been playing very respectable but I do agree with you he should be at the end of the bench him or Klieza. Regardless though Fields has to get back in there his confidence is no doubt low right now get him engaged in practise and then give him some burn again come game day boost the guys morale cause he may be thinking "they don't need me" he actually even suggested "don't play me because things are working right now"
    Last edited by Rapstor4Life; Sat Dec 22nd, 2012 at 10:23 AM.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,053
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Gman wrote: View Post
    I'm conflicted about this. I think AA is an incredible glue guy who does all the intangible things. He's also tough and filled with swagger. He pushes the other people on the team and shoots a good percentage from 3. For me this is a question of identity...are we rebuilding and developing? Or are we in win now mode. I think that AA is earning his time on the floor but does it ultimately serve the team in the long run. I'm actually good with whatever we do but we have to decide. If we started JV and Ross and bumped Derozan over to the 3 I'd be totally good with that, but we have to decide.
    I truly do respect AA. Love where he has come from and what he has done with his opportunity. With that he is 30 years old and a fringe NBA player. I don't think people should confuse a hot streak from a great guy with a legit NBA player. Raps have had quite a few flavours of the season under Colangelo (Moon, etc.).

    Why can't the Raps rebuild and develop while winning? Ross is starting to show he belongs on the court regardless of age or rookie status.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,027
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I am liking the way TRoss's game is developing and the fact that Casey is showing confidence in him with the game on the line. He has a decent jump shot and the potential to be a lock down defender. I would like to see him develop his game driving the ball to the hoop and add some post up moves while he is at it. These are things that DeRozan has added to his game, now in his fourth season, that would make Ross a complete player and more of a threat on offence.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,666
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I was so freakin happy we didn't draft Austin Rivers. I couldn't believe people thought he would be good, especially right away. Classic 'combo' guard who actually doesn't have enough of the best of both worlds. He's not a great distributor/floor general, and he's not quick enough or athletic enough in some way to be a truly great scorer. He doesn't have the motor of Lou Williams, or the crazy deceptive athleticism and handle of Jamal Crawford.
    I was also glad we didn't draft Jeremy Lamb. I thought he was even less likely to compliment Demar. Despite his freakish length, Lamb is actually kinda short and kinda soft. Given how nice a surprise Ross' athleticism and D have been, I'm so happy we drafted him over Lamb. For a rookie, Ross' effort level is surprisingly consistent, and those dunks have been a sweet thing to watch. I really can't think of a player I would have rather used on that pick, and even on draft night, it didn't take me long to see he was the best option if we wanted a wing. Again, Rivers just had bust written all over him to me, and Lamb just seemed less likely to fit with Demar. Other options at SF were clearly much lower targets and while we may have 'reached' for Ross, it still seemed likely he would go in the lottery, I just thought later.

    On Demar and Ross: I don't see any reason why they can't coexist. Their games will probably always be quite different. Demar is developing into a nice post player. Ross may never have the bulk to really excel there, but is a great shooter. Frankly I think neither will ever be great at driving from the perimeter, that's why Demar's post skills improving have been so great, because now his drives just got a step or two shorter. The big question will be on D. Always about D. One of them has to be able to guard SFs, and Ross looks like a better natural defender. I don't necessarily buy this whole 'needing a big SF' thing. Ross and Demar are both around 6'6'' or 6'7'', so yeah they'll struggle some nights, especially in the post, but that's about it. An extra inch does not make a huge difference on the perimeter. Hustle and instincts are much more important, and Ross has those naturally. On offense, they shouldn't have problems. Ross should compliment Demar's post game, and other teams will have trouble dealing with that. IF you put the bigger defender on Demar, then Ross might be able to take jumpers over a smaller player all night long. If you switch the bigger guy onto Ross for his reach to bother him, then Demar can suddenly go to work in the post on a small defender, which if there's one aspect of his post game that's really obvious, it's that he's pretty much always abusing smaller guys.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,053
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I was so freakin happy we didn't draft Austin Rivers. I couldn't believe people thought he would be good, especially right away. Classic 'combo' guard who actually doesn't have enough of the best of both worlds. He's not a great distributor/floor general, and he's not quick enough or athletic enough in some way to be a truly great scorer. He doesn't have the motor of Lou Williams, or the crazy deceptive athleticism and handle of Jamal Crawford.
    I was also glad we didn't draft Jeremy Lamb. I thought he was even less likely to compliment Demar. Despite his freakish length, Lamb is actually kinda short and kinda soft. Given how nice a surprise Ross' athleticism and D have been, I'm so happy we drafted him over Lamb. For a rookie, Ross' effort level is surprisingly consistent, and those dunks have been a sweet thing to watch. I really can't think of a player I would have rather used on that pick, and even on draft night, it didn't take me long to see he was the best option if we wanted a wing. Again, Rivers just had bust written all over him to me, and Lamb just seemed less likely to fit with Demar. Other options at SF were clearly much lower targets and while we may have 'reached' for Ross, it still seemed likely he would go in the lottery, I just thought later.

    On Demar and Ross: I don't see any reason why they can't coexist. Their games will probably always be quite different. Demar is developing into a nice post player. Ross may never have the bulk to really excel there, but is a great shooter. Frankly I think neither will ever be great at driving from the perimeter, that's why Demar's post skills improving have been so great, because now his drives just got a step or two shorter. The big question will be on D. Always about D. One of them has to be able to guard SFs, and Ross looks like a better natural defender. I don't necessarily buy this whole 'needing a big SF' thing. Ross and Demar are both around 6'6'' or 6'7'', so yeah they'll struggle some nights, especially in the post, but that's about it. An extra inch does not make a huge difference on the perimeter. Hustle and instincts are much more important, and Ross has those naturally. On offense, they shouldn't have problems. Ross should compliment Demar's post game, and other teams will have trouble dealing with that. IF you put the bigger defender on Demar, then Ross might be able to take jumpers over a smaller player all night long. If you switch the bigger guy onto Ross for his reach to bother him, then Demar can suddenly go to work in the post on a small defender, which if there's one aspect of his post game that's really obvious, it's that he's pretty much always abusing smaller guys.
    Nice post.

    On bold, this is why a penetrating PG like Lowry is extremely important in my opinion. Raps rely too much on jump shots right now - great when falling, nerve racking when not.

    The big SF's like Pierce or LBJ: shit, no one stops them anyways. DD and TR playing at the same time hardly matters, in my opinion.

    Bruce Bowen, Andre Igoudala, Tony Allen: all great wing defenders and all same size or smaller than TR & DD.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    740
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Gman wrote: View Post
    I'm conflicted about this. I think AA is an incredible glue guy who does all the intangible things. He's also tough and filled with swagger. He pushes the other people on the team and shoots a good percentage from 3. For me this is a question of identity...are we rebuilding and developing? Or are we in win now mode. I think that AA is earning his time on the floor but does it ultimately serve the team in the long run. I'm actually good with whatever we do but we have to decide. If we started JV and Ross and bumped Derozan over to the 3 I'd be totally good with that, but we have to decide.
    Not to jump on you, but anyone who is still confused with this question clearly hasnt been watching the games this year. We are NOT a playoff team. Squeaking out an extra win or two by playing glue guys or vets should NOT be a priority at all. And we know how that "winning culture" bs from last year carried over into this year .. so thats a farce.

    We should be figuring out our best / most talented players on both ends of the court and playing them together. If those guys (ie DD, Val, TRoss, Ed, KL, etc) can develop a winning chemistry, then great. But, developing a winning chemistry with MP and AA does no good to me, as these guys are not part of the future, when this team might actually be good.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    740
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I have great respect for Anderson but he is a deep bench player who got hot and has been asked to do more than he ever should be expected to do.

    It is time to send Anderson back to the end of the bench.
    It is time to give Ross a bigger role as long as he is working hard.
    It is also time to get Fields back in to the mix.

    AA is averaging 26 minutes over the last 5gms.
    Ross is averaging 19 minutes over the last 5gms.
    Fields has not played.

    AA SHOULD be averaging 0 minutes.
    Ross SHOULD be averaging 25 minutes.
    Fields SHOULD be put back in to the mix with 20 minutes.

    The shoulds are all my opinion, of course.

    *EDIT*

    Pietrus is another player who should be scaled back eventhough he has averaged just 19 minutes the last 5 games - though he has averaged 26 in 11 games.
    Agree 100%. Extended minutes for AA / MP should only come in injury situations. Im actually ok with LK getting some run in certain situations. Hes a good "mix it up" guy to throw out there if we are down 10 and see if he can hit some shots. If not, he should be a 5-10 mins a game guy.

    On the bright side, Casey does seem to have learned to get away from the hockey shifts, so my hope is that he can integrate LF, KL, AB back into the lineup in a sensible way (funny thing is JV might be hurt so the "do we start AB or ED" debate may be moot with both guys starting)...

  16. #16
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,041
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I have great respect for Anderson but he is a deep bench player who got hot and has been asked to do more than he ever should be expected to do.

    It is time to send Anderson back to the end of the bench.
    It is time to give Ross a bigger role as long as he is working hard.
    It is also time to get Fields back in to the mix.

    AA is averaging 26 minutes over the last 5gms.
    Ross is averaging 19 minutes over the last 5gms.
    Fields has not played.

    AA SHOULD be averaging 0 minutes.
    Ross SHOULD be averaging 25 minutes.
    Fields SHOULD be put back in to the mix with 20 minutes.

    The shoulds are all my opinion, of course.

    *EDIT*

    Pietrus is another player who should be scaled back eventhough he has averaged just 19 minutes the last 5 games - though he has averaged 26 in 11 games.
    This is very conflicting, and I honestly believe this is a good problem for a coach and the team.

    First of all, the rotation of wings:

    - Derozan
    - Ross
    - Fields
    - Anderson
    - Pietrus
    - Kleiza

    Not going to lie, but having 6 capable wing players on a roster is very good.

    Now back to the minutes and your question of "should the rotations and minute distributions go back to what they should have been?"

    I'm going to answer, no.

    Because, Anderson has been playing lights out recently, there's no question he is our best answer at the 3 right now. Pietrus has been struggling, but in the winning streak he's come up with some big plays whether it's hitting a shot, making a drive to the basket, or making a key defensive play.
    I certainly believe, when you go back to rotations (case made looking at Lowry, Bargnani), chemistry or the overall rhythm the team plays at, may be (and usually is) disrupted. When guys are going good for you, the question is:

    "Why fix something when it's not broken?" Calderon has certainly been a joy this season whenever Lowry is unhealthy (which has pretty much been all season), Anderson/Pietrus/Ross have all earned some playing time, and they no doubt have delivered. Ed Davis has been a quiet dominant monster in the interior for us. I feel Coach Casey is just doing his job as a coach not playing Fields, bringing him along slowly is certainly a good way to allow the team to continue to flow, also for Fields to possibly get burn in the future (possibly out of shape). Same case should be make for Lowry, and Bargnani went they return.
    Last edited by ReubenJRD; Sat Dec 22nd, 2012 at 12:49 PM.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    740
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I was so freakin happy we didn't draft Austin Rivers. I couldn't believe people thought he would be good, especially right away. Classic 'combo' guard who actually doesn't have enough of the best of both worlds. He's not a great distributor/floor general, and he's not quick enough or athletic enough in some way to be a truly great scorer. He doesn't have the motor of Lou Williams, or the crazy deceptive athleticism and handle of Jamal Crawford.
    I was also glad we didn't draft Jeremy Lamb. I thought he was even less likely to compliment Demar. Despite his freakish length, Lamb is actually kinda short and kinda soft. Given how nice a surprise Ross' athleticism and D have been, I'm so happy we drafted him over Lamb. For a rookie, Ross' effort level is surprisingly consistent, and those dunks have been a sweet thing to watch. I really can't think of a player I would have rather used on that pick, and even on draft night, it didn't take me long to see he was the best option if we wanted a wing. Again, Rivers just had bust written all over him to me, and Lamb just seemed less likely to fit with Demar. Other options at SF were clearly much lower targets and while we may have 'reached' for Ross, it still seemed likely he would go in the lottery, I just thought later.

    On Demar and Ross: I don't see any reason why they can't coexist. Their games will probably always be quite different. Demar is developing into a nice post player. Ross may never have the bulk to really excel there, but is a great shooter. Frankly I think neither will ever be great at driving from the perimeter, that's why Demar's post skills improving have been so great, because now his drives just got a step or two shorter. The big question will be on D. Always about D. One of them has to be able to guard SFs, and Ross looks like a better natural defender. I don't necessarily buy this whole 'needing a big SF' thing. Ross and Demar are both around 6'6'' or 6'7'', so yeah they'll struggle some nights, especially in the post, but that's about it. An extra inch does not make a huge difference on the perimeter. Hustle and instincts are much more important, and Ross has those naturally. On offense, they shouldn't have problems. Ross should compliment Demar's post game, and other teams will have trouble dealing with that. IF you put the bigger defender on Demar, then Ross might be able to take jumpers over a smaller player all night long. If you switch the bigger guy onto Ross for his reach to bother him, then Demar can suddenly go to work in the post on a small defender, which if there's one aspect of his post game that's really obvious, it's that he's pretty much always abusing smaller guys.
    Agree with this. People were making WAY too big a deal about Ross or DD guarding "grown men 3s) like Gerald Wallace. Reality is that there are only a few of these guys in the league (and hell, weve been playing MP/LK at the 4 during these last few games and havent even got exploited there. We can play zone (which has been working well) and half or more of the 3s in the league look/play like DD/T Ross so they should be able to handle them man to man easliy

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    740
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    This is very conflicting, and I honestly believe this is a good problem for a coach and the team.

    First of all, the rotation of wings:

    - Derozan
    - Ross
    - Fields
    - Anderson
    - Pietrus
    - Kleiza

    Not going to lie, but having 6 capable wing players on a roster is very good.

    Now back to the minutes and your question of "should the rotations and minute distributions go back to what they should have been?"

    I'm going to answer, no.

    Because, Anderson has been playing lights out recently, there's no question he is our best answer at the 3 right now. Pietrus has been struggling, but in the winning streak he's come up with some big plays whether it's hitting a shot, making a drive to the basket, or making a key defensive play.
    I certainly believe, when you go back to rotations (case made looking at Lowry, Bargnani), chemistry or the overall rhythm the team plays at, may be (and usually is) disrupted. When guys are going good for you, the question is:

    "Why fix something when it's not broken?" Calderon has certainly been a joy this season whenever Lowry is unhealthy (which has pretty much been all season), Anderson/Pietrus/Ross have all earned some playing time, and they no doubt have delivered. Ed Davis has been a quiet dominant monster in the interior for us. I feel Coach Casey is just doing his job as a coach not playing Fields, bringing him along slowly is certainly a good way to allow the team to continue to flow, also for Fields to possibly get burn in the future (possibly out of shape). Same case should be make for Lowry, and Bargnani went they return.
    Not sure about that .. hes shooting 33% from the floor (2 of 9 last night) on the year, despite being "on a hot streak". I agree he has brought us some good minutes .. but he is very confused between what he is (defense, rebound, hit the open 3) and what he thinks he is (offensive scoring threat, guy who deserves to get plays called for him). Weve squeaked by so far (and dont get me wrong AA is THE reason we have won a couple of games in this steak) - but it will end badly and is already headed that way .. these stats dont lie

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,666
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote mountio wrote: View Post
    Agree with this. People were making WAY too big a deal about Ross or DD guarding "grown men 3s) like Gerald Wallace. Reality is that there are only a few of these guys in the league (and hell, weve been playing MP/LK at the 4 during these last few games and havent even got exploited there. We can play zone (which has been working well) and half or more of the 3s in the league look/play like DD/T Ross so they should be able to handle them man to man easliy
    So very true. Size is not a significant factor for perimeter D. Obviously on some of those matchups they could be exploited in the post, but by the type of players who exploit everyone. Even some of the bigger SFs are not great scorers. Wallace is nothing special. I wouldn't worry about Ross being on Deng in the post or something. Even Gay pretty much mostly settles for long jumpers in the post. There are really just a handful that are not only big, but use their size, and are good enough scorers to be a concern... LeBron, Melo, Durant, Pierce (maybe a bit less now for him). And you need a team plan to stop those guys.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,666
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Nice post.

    On bold, this is why a penetrating PG like Lowry is extremely important in my opinion. Raps rely too much on jump shots right now - great when falling, nerve racking when not.

    The big SF's like Pierce or LBJ: shit, no one stops them anyways. DD and TR playing at the same time hardly matters, in my opinion.

    Bruce Bowen, Andre Igoudala, Tony Allen: all great wing defenders and all same size or smaller than TR & DD.
    Didn't even see this...you could also throw in Afflalo, another great defender who's not very big.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •