View Poll Results: Do you think Calderon actually wants to resign in Toronto?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    22 57.89%
  • No

    16 42.11%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45

Thread: Do you think Calderon actually wants to resign in Toronto?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,270
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Do you think Calderon actually wants to resign in Toronto?

    I see numerous posts talking about resigning Calderon. Here is a question:

    Do you actually think he wants to stay?


    In the last couple of years there have been comments, interviews, and rumours of his and/or his agent's desire to play in a warmer climate, to play for a winner, to be a starter, and to be traded. On top of that, the organization brought in TJ Ford, Jarrett Jack, and now Kyle Lowry to send him back to the bench. He was traded once but never went through and he has been widely known to have been on the block for the last 3 years.


    People will talk about money and how the Raps can offer most than MLE because of Bird Rights. I wonder if that is wise. As his current contract has shown, overpaid players are not easy to move. Calderon himself has talked about signing another contract beyond this year for 2-3 seasons. With career earnings over $45M and a 3 year deal taking him to $55M-$60M, is an extra million or two per year going to make a difference in Toronto?


    I think it is well known my opinion on Calderon. I'd like to see him moved for assets that will help the team beyond 2-3 years down the road.


    With all of this said, I return to the start, do you think he actually wants to return to Toronto? I don't know but I don't think it is the given so many around here think it is. The flip side to being a true professional is once the contract is up, so are your obligations.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think so, the years hes put in hes made some pretty strong bonds, not to mention is looked up to as a leader. I really think calderon wants to stick around and see where this goes, but is mature enough to have no hard feelings about a potential trade I do believe he loves being a Toronto Raptor and the city itself.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In my opininion the strongest argument before acquiring Lowry to trade Calderon was the chance that he wouldn't resign (for a much lower yearly offer) and getting something good in return would be nice. Now that Lowry is here we surely won't offer him big money (right BC?). I don't think there is any chance at all that he will resign here; he'll get plenty of offers from contenders or semi-contenders (like Dallas). Not only is Calderon one of matt's infamous 7-year threesome, Calderon himself has also seen this club go nowhere in years. His attitude is professionalism and not a love affair.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,270
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    In my opininion the strongest argument before acquiring Lowry to trade Calderon was the chance that he wouldn't resign (for a much lower yearly offer) and getting something good in return would be nice. Now that Lowry is here we surely won't offer him big money (right BC?). I don't think there is any chance at all that he will resign here; he'll get plenty of offers from contenders or semi-contenders (like Dallas). Not only is Calderon one of matt's infamous 7-year threesome, Calderon himself has also seen this club go nowhere in years. His attitude is professionalism and not a love affair.
    Whut. There it is.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    1,524
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think Calderon wants to play for a winner. If he could be convinced that the Raptors are on their way to playing for something and we offered the right deal I think he'd re-sign. I think he does genuinely like playing here and he seems to be good friends with some of his teammates, but at the same time I don't think he has any special desire to play in Toronto.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    3yrs: 7mil/6mil/5mil

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Starter Pele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    mud
    Posts
    263
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote jpisadummy wrote: View Post
    3yrs: 7mil/6mil/5mil
    Too much, only BC would hand him that.

    If he wants to stay in TO, offer him 3-4mil/year, and make him feel like he's an important piece moving forward.

    Let Jose decide if he want's money first.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Pele wrote: View Post
    Too much, only BC would hand him that.

    If he wants to stay in TO, offer him 3-4mil/year, and make him feel like he's an important piece moving forward.

    Let Jose decide if he want's money first.
    youre telling me he wouldnt command that much or more on the market as a free agent this offseason?

    3 years, 18mil (7mil/6mil/5mil) is a bargain for the production and leadership youre getting.

    For a consummate pro like jose, whos been there for this team through it all, MLSE should show the guy some loyalty for the shut they put him through over the years. In my mind, thats how u do business and its a precedent on how u run ur business for other players to see.

    Id also do this:

    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=d67ph2t

    Obviously, ATL would need to self destruct for us to even have a chance, but f*ck it, a guy can dream.
    Reinvest the bargs/lowry money into jsmooth and we FINALLY HAVE A LEGIT SF IN THE COLANGELO ERA.

    id do a 4 yr, last two yrs as player options for J SMOOTH:
    12mil/13mil/15mil/17mil

    Which i think is fair value for a guy who has no all stars on his resume, but is a solid defender and high flier with an improved jumper.

    And look to draft a pg named MYCK KYBONGO!!!! The wiggins dream is a nice one but the way things r going so far this season, and how kybongos season has taken a hit..it just might be the match made in heaven webe been waiting for. who better to usher in and show kybongo the ropes?

    2013-2014 roster

    Calderon/kybongo/lucas
    Derozan/ross
    Smith/anderson/fields
    Davis/kleiza/acy
    Valenciunus/johnson/gray

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter Pele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    mud
    Posts
    263
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote jpisadummy wrote: View Post
    youre telling me he wouldnt command that much or more on the market as a free agent this offseason?

    3 years, 18mil (7mil/6mil/5mil) is a bargain for the production and leadership youre getting.

    For a consummate pro like jose, whos been there for this team through it all, MLSE should show the guy some loyalty for the shut they put him through over the years. In my mind, thats how u do business and its a precedent on how u run ur business for other players to see.

    Id also do this:

    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=d67ph2t

    Obviously, ATL would need to self destruct for us to even have a chance, but f*ck it, a guy can dream.
    Reinvest the bargs/lowry money into jsmooth and we FINALLY HAVE A LEGIT SF IN THE COLANGELO ERA.

    id do a 4 yr, last two yrs as player options for J SMOOTH:
    12mil/13mil/15mil/17mil

    Which i think is fair value for a guy who has no all stars on his resume, but is a solid defender and high flier with an improved jumper.

    And look to draft a pg named MYCK KYBONGO!!!! The wiggins dream is a nice one but the way things r going so far this season, and how kybongos season has taken a hit..it just might be the match made in heaven webe been waiting for. who better to usher in and show kybongo the ropes?

    2013-2014 roster

    Calderon/kybongo/lucas
    Derozan/ross
    Smith/anderson/fields
    Davis/kleiza/acy
    Valenciunus/johnson/gray
    Wow, I'd do that trade in a second

    As for Jose, history proves that he probably won't be able to keep up this level. Also, he hasn't any real experience in the playoffs.

    However, Jose is at that age where he's ready to put in his best over the next 3-4 years. I'm just a little averse right now to overpaying for talent that hasn't won anything yet.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Starter japetas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If the Raptors reaches playoffs and if he stays in the starting lineup, I think he would re-sign, but both of these "ifs" are hardly achievable.
    (Sorry for poor English )

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    memphis would be a great fit for calderon. I think a deal sending calderon and derozan to the grizz for rudy gay would reap huge rewards for both teams. grizz would gain depth, firepower and the ball-handling they need to become truly elite. the raps would gain an allstar to build around and immediately he'd become the new and refreshing face of the franchise. espn trade machine approves the trade, wonder what hollinger would say?

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Rookie Jkwasia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Downtown Toronto
    Posts
    80
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote lucifershuttlesworth wrote: View Post
    memphis would be a great fit for calderon. I think a deal sending calderon and derozan to the grizz for rudy gay would reap huge rewards for both teams. grizz would gain depth, firepower and the ball-handling they need to become truly elite. the raps would gain an allstar to build around and immediately he'd become the new and refreshing face of the franchise. espn trade machine approves the trade, wonder what hollinger would say?

    LOL this had me laughing out loud....the fact that mike conley would own dribbles.....and trading gay who is having all-star type season makes no sense at all I understand your "homerisim" but like come on just think about it for a sec before you type this nonsense.....and DD isnt getting traded he has been the most consistent Raptor since pre-season.

    And for all of you who think Dribbles is the epitome of a true pro ...two words for you "contract year" what has Dribbles done the last four years of his contract for the raps exactly?!...... 0.o

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    85
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Presuming they can fit him under their cap, does anyone think Jose might entertain the possibility of playing with his old buddy, Chris Bosh, in Miami. It's got everything he'd be looking for: great team, great weather, and a large Spanish speaking population.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Starter RPT23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think he'll resign if he feels that the Raptors are headed in a positive direction. I don't think he enjoys the drama that the fans/media/himself creates (seems to outshine his counterpart when thrust into the starting lineup during an injury). I believe he just wants consistency. Of course winning cures all. If we keep winning, and he feels that he's contributing (like where we are right now) I'm sure he'll want to be a part of that. I truly believe his heart is with Toronto. It's up to the Raptor brass if they can get anything for him in a trade scenario or not.
    #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    he has requested a trade, and i have read in a few different places that he refuses to resign. We have to realize we have really mistreated the poor guy.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Agrippa wrote: View Post
    he has requested a trade, and i have read in a few different places that he refuses to resign. We have to realize we have really mistreated the poor guy.
    I've never read he refuses to resign (let alone in different places). You got a source on that?

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Rookie Raptorboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    St. John's
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Agrippa wrote: View Post
    he has requested a trade, and i have read in a few different places that he refuses to resign. We have to realize we have really mistreated the poor guy.
    Well said. He has been a true professional but the bottom line is we never treated him the same. Calderon is moving on, either during, or at the end of the season.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    no. why would he? loses every year, talks of being traded every year, has to fight for his position every year. he will be thankful he got paid and we should be thankful he is a professional, but there is only one way to keep him in toronto beyond this season and it would be stupid to do.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    1,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    No.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Starter Pill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    420
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I dont think he will. The raptors community has been overly harsh on this guy as some sort of knee jerk fan reaction to his salary.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •