View Poll Results: Do you think Calderon actually wants to resign in Toronto?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 57.89%
  • No

16 42.11%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Calderon actually wants to resign in Toronto?

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you think Calderon actually wants to resign in Toronto?

I see numerous posts talking about resigning Calderon. Here is a question:

Do you actually think he wants to stay?

In the last couple of years there have been comments, interviews, and rumours of his and/or his agent's desire to play in a warmer climate, to play for a winner, to be a starter, and to be traded. On top of that, the organization brought in TJ Ford, Jarrett Jack, and now Kyle Lowry to send him back to the bench. He was traded once but never went through and he has been widely known to have been on the block for the last 3 years.

People will talk about money and how the Raps can offer most than MLE because of Bird Rights. I wonder if that is wise. As his current contract has shown, overpaid players are not easy to move. Calderon himself has talked about signing another contract beyond this year for 2-3 seasons. With career earnings over $45M and a 3 year deal taking him to $55M-$60M, is an extra million or two per year going to make a difference in Toronto?

I think it is well known my opinion on Calderon. I'd like to see him moved for assets that will help the team beyond 2-3 years down the road.

With all of this said, I return to the start, do you think he actually wants to return to Toronto? I don't know but I don't think it is the given so many around here think it is. The flip side to being a true professional is once the contract is up, so are your obligations.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think so, the years hes put in hes made some pretty strong bonds, not to mention is looked up to as a leader. I really think calderon wants to stick around and see where this goes, but is mature enough to have no hard feelings about a potential trade I do believe he loves being a Toronto Raptor and the city itself.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

In my opininion the strongest argument before acquiring Lowry to trade Calderon was the chance that he wouldn't resign (for a much lower yearly offer) and getting something good in return would be nice. Now that Lowry is here we surely won't offer him big money (right BC?). I don't think there is any chance at all that he will resign here; he'll get plenty of offers from contenders or semi-contenders (like Dallas). Not only is Calderon one of matt's infamous 7-year threesome, Calderon himself has also seen this club go nowhere in years. His attitude is professionalism and not a love affair.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    In my opininion the strongest argument before acquiring Lowry to trade Calderon was the chance that he wouldn't resign (for a much lower yearly offer) and getting something good in return would be nice. Now that Lowry is here we surely won't offer him big money (right BC?). I don't think there is any chance at all that he will resign here; he'll get plenty of offers from contenders or semi-contenders (like Dallas). Not only is Calderon one of matt's infamous 7-year threesome, Calderon himself has also seen this club go nowhere in years. His attitude is professionalism and not a love affair.
    Whut. There it is.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Calderon wants to play for a winner. If he could be convinced that the Raptors are on their way to playing for something and we offered the right deal I think he'd re-sign. I think he does genuinely like playing here and he seems to be good friends with some of his teammates, but at the same time I don't think he has any special desire to play in Toronto.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

3yrs: 7mil/6mil/5mil

Raptors Republic Starter japetas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If the Raptors reaches playoffs and if he stays in the starting lineup, I think he would re-sign, but both of these "ifs" are hardly achievable.
    (Sorry for poor English )

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

memphis would be a great fit for calderon. I think a deal sending calderon and derozan to the grizz for rudy gay would reap huge rewards for both teams. grizz would gain depth, firepower and the ball-handling they need to become truly elite. the raps would gain an allstar to build around and immediately he'd become the new and refreshing face of the franchise. espn trade machine approves the trade, wonder what hollinger would say?

Post Thanks / Like

I think he'll resign if he feels that the Raptors are headed in a positive direction. I don't think he enjoys the drama that the fans/media/himself creates (seems to outshine his counterpart when thrust into the starting lineup during an injury). I believe he just wants consistency. Of course winning cures all. If we keep winning, and he feels that he's contributing (like where we are right now) I'm sure he'll want to be a part of that. I truly believe his heart is with Toronto. It's up to the Raptor brass if they can get anything for him in a trade scenario or not.
    #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

he has requested a trade, and i have read in a few different places that he refuses to resign. We have to realize we have really mistreated the poor guy.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Agrippa wrote: View Post
    he has requested a trade, and i have read in a few different places that he refuses to resign. We have to realize we have really mistreated the poor guy.
    I've never read he refuses to resign (let alone in different places). You got a source on that?

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

no. why would he? loses every year, talks of being traded every year, has to fight for his position every year. he will be thankful he got paid and we should be thankful he is a professional, but there is only one way to keep him in toronto beyond this season and it would be stupid to do.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No.
    ďThe saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.Ē - Martin Luther King

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think he will. The raptors community has been overly harsh on this guy as some sort of knee jerk fan reaction to his salary.

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We should have made him start since the Ford era. If he leaves I'll understand and while I love Jose as a player and also what he seems to be as a person, I think it would be a nice change of scenario for both him and the team. Fail love story.

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

By the way, we should not do this same mistake with Lowry. Make him our unquestionned starting point guard from the start. Give him the keys, just like we should have done with Jose about 5 years ago. If you want your team to win, players have to know their roles from the start. That's only my opinion though. Change roles only if someone is sucking (Bargs?) or overachieving as f*ck.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he'll re-sign if it's not BC making an offer. In other words if BC is fired or allowed to go at the end of his contract and the new GM makes an offer, he might consider it. If BC remains, makes an offer and Calderon accepts, he deserves all the praise in the World considering everything he's gone through.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote jpisadummy wrote: View Post
    3yrs: 7mil/6mil/5mil
    Too much, only BC would hand him that.

If he wants to stay in TO, offer him 3-4mil/year, and make him feel like he's an important piece moving forward.

Let Jose decide if he want's money first.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    Give him the keys, just like we should have done with Jose about 5 years ago. If you want your team to win, players have to know their roles from the start. That's only my opinion though. Change roles only if someone is sucking (Bargs?) or overachieving as f*ck.
    Jose never earned the starting role. He's always hovered between really good, and really good bench, with very poor defence.

100% on Bargs. Put him at the end and play Acy. We'll win more games.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Jose is a true product of the raptors... How many coaches has he been through ? Carter, Wilkings, ONiel, Mitchell, Triano, Casey, and I don't remember if he caught a part of Walker in there also....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information