Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think Calderon actually wants to resign in Toronto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think Calderon actually wants to resign in Toronto?

I see numerous posts talking about resigning Calderon. Here is a question:

Do you actually think he wants to stay?

In the last couple of years there have been comments, interviews, and rumours of his and/or his agent's desire to play in a warmer climate, to play for a winner, to be a starter, and to be traded. On top of that, the organization brought in TJ Ford, Jarrett Jack, and now Kyle Lowry to send him back to the bench. He was traded once but never went through and he has been widely known to have been on the block for the last 3 years.

People will talk about money and how the Raps can offer most than MLE because of Bird Rights. I wonder if that is wise. As his current contract has shown, overpaid players are not easy to move. Calderon himself has talked about signing another contract beyond this year for 2-3 seasons. With career earnings over $45M and a 3 year deal taking him to $55M-$60M, is an extra million or two per year going to make a difference in Toronto?

I think it is well known my opinion on Calderon. I'd like to see him moved for assets that will help the team beyond 2-3 years down the road.

With all of this said, I return to the start, do you think he actually wants to return to Toronto? I don't know but I don't think it is the given so many around here think it is. The flip side to being a true professional is once the contract is up, so are your obligations.
    Yes
    57.89%
    No
    42.11%

I think so, the years hes put in hes made some pretty strong bonds, not to mention is looked up to as a leader. I really think calderon wants to stick around and see where this goes, but is mature enough to have no hard feelings about a potential trade I do believe he loves being a Toronto Raptor and the city itself.

Comment

In my opininion the strongest argument before acquiring Lowry to trade Calderon was the chance that he wouldn't resign (for a much lower yearly offer) and getting something good in return would be nice. Now that Lowry is here we surely won't offer him big money (right BC?). I don't think there is any chance at all that he will resign here; he'll get plenty of offers from contenders or semi-contenders (like Dallas). Not only is Calderon one of matt's infamous 7-year threesome, Calderon himself has also seen this club go nowhere in years. His attitude is professionalism and not a love affair.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
        In my opininion the strongest argument before acquiring Lowry to trade Calderon was the chance that he wouldn't resign (for a much lower yearly offer) and getting something good in return would be nice. Now that Lowry is here we surely won't offer him big money (right BC?). I don't think there is any chance at all that he will resign here; he'll get plenty of offers from contenders or semi-contenders (like Dallas). Not only is Calderon one of matt's infamous 7-year threesome, Calderon himself has also seen this club go nowhere in years. His attitude is professionalism and not a love affair.
        Whut. There it is.

Comment

I think Calderon wants to play for a winner. If he could be convinced that the Raptors are on their way to playing for something and we offered the right deal I think he'd re-sign. I think he does genuinely like playing here and he seems to be good friends with some of his teammates, but at the same time I don't think he has any special desire to play in Toronto.
          "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

3yrs: 7mil/6mil/5mil

Comment

If the Raptors reaches playoffs and if he stays in the starting lineup, I think he would re-sign, but both of these "ifs" are hardly achievable.
              (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

memphis would be a great fit for calderon. I think a deal sending calderon and derozan to the grizz for rudy gay would reap huge rewards for both teams. grizz would gain depth, firepower and the ball-handling they need to become truly elite. the raps would gain an allstar to build around and immediately he'd become the new and refreshing face of the franchise. espn trade machine approves the trade, wonder what hollinger would say?

Comment

I think he'll resign if he feels that the Raptors are headed in a positive direction. I don't think he enjoys the drama that the fans/media/himself creates (seems to outshine his counterpart when thrust into the starting lineup during an injury). I believe he just wants consistency. Of course winning cures all. If we keep winning, and he feels that he's contributing (like where we are right now) I'm sure he'll want to be a part of that. I truly believe his heart is with Toronto. It's up to the Raptor brass if they can get anything for him in a trade scenario or not.
                  #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

Comment

he has requested a trade, and i have read in a few different places that he refuses to resign. We have to realize we have really mistreated the poor guy.

Comment

Agrippa wrote: View Post
                      he has requested a trade, and i have read in a few different places that he refuses to resign. We have to realize we have really mistreated the poor guy.
                      I've never read he refuses to resign (let alone in different places). You got a source on that?

Comment

no. why would he? loses every year, talks of being traded every year, has to fight for his position every year. he will be thankful he got paid and we should be thankful he is a professional, but there is only one way to keep him in toronto beyond this season and it would be stupid to do.

Comment

No.
                          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

I dont think he will. The raptors community has been overly harsh on this guy as some sort of knee jerk fan reaction to his salary.

Comment

We should have made him start since the Ford era. If he leaves I'll understand and while I love Jose as a player and also what he seems to be as a person, I think it would be a nice change of scenario for both him and the team. Fail love story.

Comment

Working...
                              X