Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think Calderon actually wants to resign in Toronto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Up until now I was split on this question, because before this season I didn't think he could start anywhere else in the league. His recent play though has sparked national coverage, especially the two trip-doubles. I think he will unless a team of higher value is interested in him
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

I think it is well known my opinion on Calderon. I'd like to see him moved for assets that will help the team beyond 2-3 years down the road.
      While assets would be great for 2-3 years down the road, your concept of "future" benefits belies the contribution that JC provides NOW, and for which his presence does for the development of our younger talent, and their growth down the road ... 2-3 years from now.

I also question what trade value he has. His contract is expiring, so basically he's a Rent-a-Player for whoever acquires him, even if there is potential for him to resign. As well, salaries have to match - if he's going to a Play-off team, which means Raps have to take back a contract that could be doubtful.

If reality means JC is moved, that also means Kyle will resume his role as Starting PG. Should Raptors return to their old ways under Lowry, that will not only affect player development, it could also mean Kyle leaves the sinking ship, as his contract has one more year left. Then what do the Raptors do. IF Kyle resigns with the Raptors, how much would that contract be. Knowing our history, it'll be too much.

In my opinion, Raps should move Kyle for a decent (back-up) PG, or a young PG with potential. A Point Guard who resembles Jose's style, but is better at Defense. He doesn't have to be a scoring machine, just someone who can move the ball well. Jose can mentor this player, and at some future point, be more comfortable with coming off the Bench. Right now, Jose still feels he has Starting PG qualities. The only way he changes that feeling, is if he moves to a team destined for the Finals.

Comment

RapthoseLeafs wrote: View Post
        While assets would be great for 2-3 years down the road, your concept of "future" benefits belies the contribution that JC provides NOW, and for which his presence does for the development of our younger talent, and their growth down the road ... 2-3 years from now.

I also question what trade value he has. His contract is expiring, so basically he's a Rent-a-Player for whoever acquires him, even if there is potential for him to resign. As well, salaries have to match - if he's going to a Play-off team, which means Raps have to take back a contract that could be doubtful.

If reality means JC is moved, that also means Kyle will resume his role as Starting PG. Should Raptors return to their old ways under Lowry, that will not only affect player development, it could also mean Kyle leaves the sinking ship, as his contract has one more year left. Then what do the Raptors do. IF Kyle resigns with the Raptors, how much would that contract be. Knowing our history, it'll be too much.

In my opinion, Raps should move Kyle for a decent (back-up) PG, or a young PG with potential. A Point Guard who resembles Jose's style, but is better at Defense. He doesn't have to be a scoring machine, just someone who can move the ball well. Jose can mentor this player, and at some future point, be more comfortable with coming off the Bench. Right now, Jose still feels he has Starting PG qualities. The only way he changes that feeling, is if he moves to a team destined for the Finals.

This makes sense to me. At present Kyle's trade value is much more than Jose's and Jose's value to the Raptors is much more than Kyle's. Trading Kyle could net us assets that could be valuable for a long time to come. It's pretty much a no-brainer for the Raps. Yes, Raps. take a risk 'cause Jose may not re-sign. IMO it's still worth it. Another PG can be acquired through trade or signed as a FA.
        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Agrippa wrote: View Post
          he has requested a trade, and i have read in a few different places that he refuses to resign. We have to realize we have really mistreated the poor guy.
          Well said. He has been a true professional but the bottom line is we never treated him the same. Calderon is moving on, either during, or at the end of the season.

Comment

As much as I love Jose, and would like to see him retire as a Raptor, I don't think he's going to re-sign. He wants to start and has been treated poorly by management (constant competition for the starting job) and some of the fans (anyone catch his twitter war with some of the fans?).

IMO, Dallas, Atlanta, Indiana and NO would be possible places he could land next year and start. But if he wanted the chance to win, and didn't mind being a back-up, I could see him going to Miami, Lakers, or Boston.

Farewell, Jose. It's been a slice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
              This makes sense to me. At present Kyle's trade value is much more than Jose's and Jose's value to the Raptors is much more than Kyle's. Trading Kyle could net us assets that could be valuable for a long time to come. It's pretty much a no-brainer for the Raps. Yes, Raps. take a risk 'cause Jose may not re-sign. IMO it's still worth it. Another PG can be acquired through trade or signed as a FA.
              Huge risk. Lowry is under contract, Jose is not after this season.

How successful have the Raps been over the years getting PG's through free agency that are starting calibre? What trade assets do the Raps have to get a PG via trade assuming ED, DD, TR, JV are not available?

Comment

Jose has been here for 7 years. Bosh was here before him and an All-Star before his arrival. How many All-Stars or, just to make the conversation interesting lets include near All-Stars too, has Jose helped develop? My count is none.

7 years of history with Jose tells you exactly what you are going to get from the 31 year old with a history of overuse/fatigue injuries. Kyle Lowry has had 16 games as a Raptor of which he played 12 injured.

Raptor fans really do have a complex. It is like the guy who is going to break up with the chick first because even though there is a good connection he knows it is going to fail so he wants to be the one to end it. Not only is that a major cognitive distortion it is also throwing away something that might be really special.

There is no question in my mind Lowry is the most talented Raptor on the roster. For a team starved for talent, you don't ship that away because he might leave in 18 months.

Comment

Huge risk. Lowry is under contract, Jose is not after this season.

How successful have the Raps been over the years getting PG's through free agency that are starting calibre? What trade assets do the Raps have to get a PG via trade assuming ED, DD, TR, JV are not available?
                  The only PG's of some prominence acquired through free agency are Mark Jackson and Jose Calderon(undrafted rookie). The other prominent PG's they've had are Damon S, Alvin W, TJ Ford and Lowry. Other than Damon(drafted), others were acquired through trade. My point is, there hasn't been a need to go to free agency for a PG. When there was, Mark Jackson who if I remember correctly came after being the starting PG of the Eastern Conf. champions and finalists Indiana Pacers.

Besides, in the PG crop of the available free agents in the coming off-season, Jose will be one of the top guys. As much as he has many reasons not to come back to Toronto, if the Raps. make the best bid, there's a good chance he'll consider because after all it's his comfort zone. If he doesn't, other options can be explored.
                  Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

jpisadummy wrote: View Post
                    youre telling me he wouldnt command that much or more on the market as a free agent this offseason?

3 years, 18mil (7mil/6mil/5mil) is a bargain for the production and leadership youre getting.

For a consummate pro like jose, whos been there for this team through it all, MLSE should show the guy some loyalty for the shut they put him through over the years. In my mind, thats how u do business and its a precedent on how u run ur business for other players to see.

Id also do this:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=d67ph2t

Obviously, ATL would need to self destruct for us to even have a chance, but f*ck it, a guy can dream.
                    Reinvest the bargs/lowry money into jsmooth and we FINALLY HAVE A LEGIT SF IN THE COLANGELO ERA.

id do a 4 yr, last two yrs as player options for J SMOOTH:
                    12mil/13mil/15mil/17mil

Which i think is fair value for a guy who has no all stars on his resume, but is a solid defender and high flier with an improved jumper.

And look to draft a pg named MYCK KYBONGO!!!! The wiggins dream is a nice one but the way things r going so far this season, and how kybongos season has taken a hit..it just might be the match made in heaven webe been waiting for. who better to usher in and show kybongo the ropes?

2013-2014 roster

Calderon/kybongo/lucas
                    Derozan/ross
                    Smith/anderson/fields
                    Davis/kleiza/acy
                    Valenciunus/johnson/gray
                    Wow, I'd do that trade in a second

As for Jose, history proves that he probably won't be able to keep up this level. Also, he hasn't any real experience in the playoffs.

However, Jose is at that age where he's ready to put in his best over the next 3-4 years. I'm just a little averse right now to overpaying for talent that hasn't won anything yet.

Comment

Raptor fans really do have a complex. It is like the guy who is going to break up with the chick first because even though there is a good connection he knows it is going to fail so he wants to be the one to end it. Not only is that a major cognitive distortion it is also throwing away something that might be really special.
                      What happens if you've heard that "chick" had some serious problems, but you thought she was cute. "I can change her" ... "She seems so nice" ...... Then she does it to you.

The thing with Lowry, is that your position denies the deja vu experience. What happened to the Rockets - Starting PG goes down - is happening again, or will be, once Kyle is ready to play. Essentially Dragic put up better numbers. As has Jose (7-6), while Lowry has not (2-13).

There is no question in my mind Lowry is the most talented Raptor on the roster. For a team starved for talent, you don't ship that away because he might leave in 18 months.
                      Kyle is a talented player. But his record suggests he has achieved no more success then Jose.
                      Lowry has one less year then JC. For his part, Calderon is 11 - 0 in play-off appearances. Was Kyle worth a 10-14th pick? Most definitely. Is he the most talented player on the team. Probably - although Jonas (and possibly Ross) should blow by at some point. Is he the MVP on the Raptors. Not in my opinion.

Who is?
                      Maybe Jose. Demar is in that running. That would be it.
                      Andrea had the potential - and still does - but we've beaten that one to death.

All that being said, I am seeing a long range objective for the Raptors future. I want them in the play-offs - next year for sure. I also want them to hold onto Jonas & Ross - barring any stupid trade (like LeBron coming back ... lol). Those too need a mentoring PG. Lowry is not that, although one could argue Dragic elevated his game while running alongside.

You ask ... why trade your better talents?
                      How about if those talents will get you a Star player. If Lowry (quality PG)/ Ed (quality PF) / Demar (top SG) AS A PACKAGE, could get you a Star, would you do it?

I would.

I know you think I remove AB from the equation, but with how much venom is out there, his value has plummetted. Even if he stays till the end of next season, he will either be moved to another team, or the 6th man off the Bench. Ed will not be the replacement either.

Jonas & Ross aside ... Everyone is for sale - or trade ..... (same diff).

Last edited by RapthoseLeafs; Sun Dec 23, 2012, 10:40 PM.

Comment

On a related note ....

In the past I've said Turkyglue was the right guy, at the wrong time. If Lowry was the PG, with a Point Forward like Hedo, this debate might be over. I could only imagine HT with a hard nosed Coach - pound the rock, no slacking - type like Casey. No f*@king stupid pizza commercials though - especially hard to take with all that was going on.

If Raps do go with Kyle, they need a SF who is like Hedo was. Good defender would help. As would being a prime shooter.

Oh wait .... that's Lebron.
                        Oh well. Never mind

Comment

What happens if you've heard that "chick" had some serious problems, but you thought she was cute. "I can change her" ... "She seems so nice" ...... Then she does it to you.

The thing with Lowry, is that your position denies the deja vu experience. What happened to the Rockets - Starting PG goes down - is happening again, or will be, once Kyle is ready to play. Essentially Dragic put up better numbers. As has Jose (7-6), while Lowry has not (2-13).

Kyle is a talented player. But his record suggests he has achieved no more success then Jose.
                          Lowry has one less year then JC. For his part, Calderon is 11 - 0 in play-off appearances. Was Kyle worth a 10-14th pick? Most definitely. Is he the most talented player on the team. Probably - although Jonas (and possibly Ross) should blow by at some point. Is he the MVP on the Raptors. Not in my opinion.

Who is?
                          Maybe Jose. Demar is in that running. That would be it.
                          Andrea had the potential - and still does - but we've beaten that one to death.

All that being said, I am seeing a long range objective for the Raptors future. I want them in the play-offs - next year for sure. I also want them to hold onto Jonas & Ross - barring any stupid trade (like LeBron coming back ... lol). Those too need a mentoring PG. Lowry is not that, although one could argue Dragic elevated his game while running alongside.

You ask ... why trade your better talents?
                          How about if those talents will get you a Star player. If Lowry (quality PG)/ Ed (quality PF) / Demar (top SG) AS A PACKAGE, could get you a Star, would you do it?

I would.

I know you think I remove AB from the equation, but with how much venom is out there, his value has plummetted. Even if he stays till the end of next season, he will either be moved to another team, or the 6th man off the Bench. Ed will not be the replacement either.

Jonas & Ross aside ... Everyone is for sale - or trade ..... (same diff).

The chick is perfectly sane unlike the guy (and Raptor fans).

16 games played and 12 were injured. Given Lowry's talent he deserves much more of an opportunity.

Lowry has been predominant starting PG on +.500 team in the WEST for 2-3 seasons with a team lacking real star power. I'd give that much more credence than Jose's accomplishments in Toronto.

Comment

I see numerous posts talking about resigning Calderon. Here is a question:

Do you actually think he wants to stay?

In the last couple of years there have been comments, interviews, and rumours of his and/or his agent's desire to play in a warmer climate, to play for a winner, to be a starter, and to be traded. On top of that, the organization brought in TJ Ford, Jarrett Jack, and now Kyle Lowry to send him back to the bench. He was traded once but never went through and he has been widely known to have been on the block for the last 3 years.

People will talk about money and how the Raps can offer most than MLE because of Bird Rights. I wonder if that is wise. As his current contract has shown, overpaid players are not easy to move. Calderon himself has talked about signing another contract beyond this year for 2-3 seasons. With career earnings over $45M and a 3 year deal taking him to $55M-$60M, is an extra million or two per year going to make a difference in Toronto?

I think it is well known my opinion on Calderon. I'd like to see him moved for assets that will help the team beyond 2-3 years down the road.

With all of this said, I return to the start, do you think he actually wants to return to Toronto? I don't know but I don't think it is the given so many around here think it is. The flip side to being a true professional is once the contract is up, so are your obligations.
                            In agreement.

Comment

I'm surprised ~60% of the group voted yes, I'd like some of that green you're smoking. No chance he resigns.

Comment

There's no way he'll resign, he's just too much of a professional to do something like that. However I do think at the end of his contract there's a good chance he'll re-sign with the team, provided he's willing to take a significant paycut.
                                your pal,
                                ebrian

Comment

Working...
                                X