Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can Ross jump as high as prime VC?

Raptors Republic Starter KeonClark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can Ross jump as high as prime VC?

Don't get me wrong, Carter will always be a better dunker. His hands and coordination WHILE in the air are unparalleled. But my god can Ross get up. The kid is 6'7 and his head looked HIGHER than Blake Griffin's to the rim last night.

I've been saying since pre season this kid has a ton of potential. He wasn't even on anybody's radar in high school, in fact I don't think he played school ball until high school. He improved dramatically in his 2nd year at Washington, which leads me to believe he's developing late and rapidly. He will be better than Derozan, and really I believe his ceiling is future all star.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

He is great defensively, has a smooth looking shot and is a mega athlete, he reminds me a bit of Aaron Aflalo with better athleticism. But he has the tools to become much better if he works hard

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

its rare these days to have a young player like T.Ross who is sooo young but already does many things well.. usually these rookies do 1 or 2 things really well like shoot & drive but cant defend there grandma in her slippers & nighty, (O ya thats just usually OUR rooks LOL) Ross seems to do a bit of everything well so far. should be interesting how he plays the rest of the season
    Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Sun Dec 23rd, 2012 at 11:15 AM.

Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Don't get me wrong, Carter will always be a better dunker. His hands and coordination WHILE in the air are unparalleled. But my god can Ross get up. The kid is 6'7 and his head looked HIGHER than Blake Griffin's to the rim last night.

I've been saying since pre season this kid has a ton of potential. He wasn't even on anybody's radar in high school, in fact I don't think he played school ball until high school. He improved dramatically in his 2nd year at Washington, which leads me to believe he's developing late and rapidly. He will be better than Derozan, and really I believe his ceiling is future all star.
    Thing was with Vince you knew it was coming. Everyone in the arena knew what was going to happen when Vince had the ball, if you were Weis, you stood there and watched as it happened over your 7 foot frame.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just damn happy we got a great, great pick. This guy is going to be something special.

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

VC was unreal. VC cleared a fucking 7 footer in a game.

While Ross is fantastic (and just an amazing athlete) I do not think Ross has that kind of legendary hop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Red and White wrote: View Post
    VC was unreal. VC cleared a fucking 7 footer in a game.

While Ross is fantastic (and just an amazing athlete) I do not think Ross has that kind of legendary hop.
    This I agree with. But, Ross is a wonderful athlete.

Raptors Republic Rookie RAPS4LIFE's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I played the Raptors online vs the Spurs on 2k13 last night and i made Ross as the starting small forward. This was his stat line:

17 pts, 9 rebs, 10 ast, 2 stl, 1 blk. We won too !

Also TRoss' dunks had more flair than Derozan's. This kid's future shines bright like a diamond

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ross' predraft max vet: 37.5"
    VC's predraft max vert: 43"

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...ss-5747/links/
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...er-1951/links/

So it's not really that close in terms of a max vertical. He's very close to Derozan though and has a better no step.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/demar-derozan-1319/
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    Ross' predraft max vet: 37.5"
    VC's predraft max vert: 43"

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...ss-5747/links/
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...er-1951/links/

So it's not really that close in terms of a max vertical. He's very close to Derozan though and has a better no step.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/demar-derozan-1319/
    Thanks for this .. confirms what I thought to be the case, that T Ross gets up for sure .. but not quite Vince-like. However, in terms of ability to dunk in games, hes more like Vince (the best) than DD (still struggling).

One thing I will say for T Ross is he isnt afraid to take off far away from the rim .. one of his dunks in the early games he took off inside the dotted line below the foul line and dunked it pretty easy. No easy feat for an in game dunk ... !

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Can Ross jump as high as prime VC? NO.

VC's leaping ability and dunking ability is in a different level. I don't think anyone can compare to VC when it comes to dunking. There's a reason why people call him the greatest dunker of ALL TIME.

Ross is fantastic though. And i've been saying this in this forum for weeks now. Ross reminds me a lot of a young Jason Richardson. Difference is, Ross as a rookie is a much better shooter/defender than J-Rich in his rookie year.

J-Rich in his 1st year with the NBA was nothing but a dunker/slasher. Couldn't shoot, couldn't defend. Then he developed a 3pt shot later in hsi career and became primarily a 3pt shooter.

Ross i think has a chance to be a MUCH better player than J-Rich.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Raptors Republic Starter Deadallus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Simple answer, NO. Doesn't need much elaborating.
    Deadallus

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Vince was a freak, pure and simple. I mean...Vince jumped over a 7 footer DURING a game people. That said, Ross is about as close as you get to that without obviously being that kind of freak.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Gerald Green is a scrub
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

honestly I feel like ross's game is a waste of his athletic ability, he needs to learn to put the ball on the floor. But w.e. can't turn somebody into something he's not.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Can Ross jump as high as prime VC? NO.

VC's leaping ability and dunking ability is in a different level. I don't think anyone can compare to VC when it comes to dunking. There's a reason why people call him the greatest dunker of ALL TIME.

Ross is fantastic though. And i've been saying this in this forum for weeks now. Ross reminds me a lot of a young Jason Richardson. Difference is, Ross as a rookie is a much better shooter/defender than J-Rich in his rookie year.

J-Rich in his 1st year with the NBA was nothing but a dunker/slasher. Couldn't shoot, couldn't defend. Then he developed a 3pt shot later in hsi career and became primarily a 3pt shooter.

Ross i think has a chance to be a MUCH better player than J-Rich.

I see Ross more as a young Ray Allen. Sweet stroke, great hops, not the greatest handle. We have to teach him to run around all game coming off screens.

Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote akashsingh wrote: View Post
    honestly I feel like ross's game is a waste of his athletic ability, he needs to learn to put the ball on the floor. But w.e. can't turn somebody into something he's not.
    The guy's a rookie, and still developing. DeRozan, while still not a great ball handler, has improved exponentially since he's came into the league. No reason to believe Ross cannot improve all facets of his game. He's seems to have this quiet demeanor about him, but he's gaining confidence with every game. I'm impressed.
    Keep Calm & Chive On

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mack North wrote: View Post
    The guy's a rookie, and still developing. DeRozan, while still not a great ball handler, has improved exponentially since he's came into the league. No reason to believe Ross cannot improve all facets of his game. He's seems to have this quiet demeanor about him, but he's gaining confidence with every game. I'm impressed.
    I hope so, ross is 2 year older than derozan when he entered the league though. I am impressed with the skills he does have however, his floor is high, a very safe pick.

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This post is not to knock T-Ross or his ability to dunk, but in terms of vertical, when you look at the numbers he isn't overly special.

All figures from Draft Express Pre-Draft Measurements

T-Ross Max Vert: 37.5

Comparable Leapers at 37.5 Max Vert
    Austin Rivers - athletic undersized guard
    Ben Gordon - surprising, but it's hard to remember him young since he was mostly a shooter
    Joakim Noah - never thought he had that good of hops
    Trenton Hassell - decent defender at the point, but no hilight reel
    Jamaal Tinsley - really surprising

Close Comparables
    Chris Quinn 37 - a half inch less. Has there ever been a less awe-inspiring player in the NBA? (Ok, maybe Brian Scalabrine and his 30.5 max vert)
    James Harden 37 - solid dunker
    Sonny Weems 36.5 - solid dunker
    Russell Westrbook 36.5 - solid dunker

The cream of leaping crop
    Kenny Gregory - 2001 - 45.5
    Timmy Bowers - 2004 - 43.5
    Nate Robinson - 2004 - 43.5
    Vince Carter - 1998 - 43
    Jamario Moon - 2001 - 43
    Speedy Claxton - 2000 - 42.5 - surprised to see him so high

Random Dude with a cool name
    Cookie Blecher - 2001 - 41.5

Unimpressive dunkers with better hops
    Jordan Farmar 42" - shorter than Ross
    Matt Barnes 40.5" - close to Ross physically
    Joe Alexander 38.5" - close to Ross physically (scary thought!)

2012 Draft Class Only
    No Step Vertical
    Harrison Barnes 38
    No one else reached 35", with T-Ross getting 31" (Chris Quinn got 32" in 2006!!)

Max Vertical - notable draftees only
    Darius Johson-Odom 41.5 - Top
    Marquis Teague- 40.5 (3rd)
    Miles Plumlee - 40.5 (3rd)
    Jeff Taylor - 40
    Damian Lillard - 39.5
    Harrison Barnes - 39.5
    Bradley Beal - 39
    PJ3 - 38.5
    Jeremy Lamb - 38
    Austin Rivers - 37.5
    T-Ross - 37.5
    Moe Harkless - 37
    Quincy Acy - 37

So in the end, Ross is a good player and has thrown down some nice dunks, but to even put him in the conversation at VC is a discredit to VC's stellarness of dunking.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    ...So in the end, Ross is a good player and has thrown down some nice dunks, but to even put him in the conversation at VC is a discredit to VC's stellarness of dunking.
    Can't argue with this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information