View Poll Results: Is Demar worth ihis contract?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

17 60.71%
  • No!

4 14.29%
  • Undecided!?

7 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Demar Derozan is worth is contract?

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is Demar Derozan worth his contract?

We're 28 games into the season and I'm curious what people think of Demar Derozan's contract now? He is signed for four years after this one for a total of 38 million plus incentives.

I'm actually pretty pleased with the contract, he is a legit NBA calibre starter at the 2 that still has some potential to improve a lot and is already good for 19 pts and 5 boards almost every night. His shot is improving and he never seems to force his game, taking almost everything in the flow of the offense. He's an improved defender, maybe not great but he's better than a lot of other wings out there.

What is most impressive about him, IMO, is the fact that he has missed a total of 8 games in in the four seasons he's played and is averaging 31 minutes a game in that time. Durability is one of the most underrated aspects in an NBA player and DD seems to have it in spades (knock on wood).

I'm personnally still not happy that we didn't at least see what his market value was in the offseason but I guess BC wanted to show our faith in him and was looking to buy low.
    Last edited by hateslosing; Mon Dec 24th, 2012 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Inability to use proper grammer.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    We're 28 games into the season and I'm curious what people think of Demar Derozan's contract now? He is signed for four years after this one for a total of 38 million plus incentives.

I'm actually pretty pleased with the contract, he is a legit NBA calibre starter at the 2 that still has some potential to improve a lot and is already good for 19 pts and 5 boards almost every night. His shot is improving and he never seems to force his game, taking almost everything in the flow of the offense. He's an improved defender, maybe not great but he's better than a lot of other wings out there.

What is most impressive about him, IMO, is the fact that he has missed a total of 8 games in in the four seasons he's played and is averaging 31 minutes a game in that time. Durability is one of the most underrated aspects in an NBA player and DD seems to have it in spades (knock on wood).

I'm personnally still not happy that we didn't at least see what his market value was in the offseason but I guess BC wanted to show our faith in him and was looking to buy low.
    I couldn't agree more. DD is a definite 'core piece' on any team-- even on teams were he wouldn't be a starter, his amazing athleticism, durability and commitment make him one of those players every coach loves to have around. He's not perfect but with his attitude and drive to improve we can all be confident he'll keep working his ass off to get better.

Edit: can you imagine a championship caliber team being able to bring a guy like DD in off the bench?

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

At $9.5M a year, he would have the 55th richest contract next year. That does not include any free agents (like Howard/Paul, etc) but he would still be a top 60 paid player. He is not a top 60 player in my opinion.

He gets a lot of minutes, but puts up mediocre numbers and his defense needs big time improvement. Is he worth the contract right now? No. Will he be worth his contract soon? I sure hope so.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He is still on his rookie contract and making $3.3M.

He is currently worth that contract.

Will he be worth $9.5M in 2013-14? Time will tell but he is not on that contract yet so mark me down as undecided.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

We won't know till we see what improvements he makes this summer, his new deal does not kick in till next season,right now he is still on his rookie deal. If he continues to get stronger, fine tunes his 3 point shot, and becomes a better shot creator he will be worth the money. If he is a carbon copy of this year, he will be slightly overpaid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post

Will he be worth $9.5M in 2013-14? Time will tell but he is not on that contract yet so mark me down as undecided.
    You beat me to it.

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    We won't know till we see what improvements he makes this summer, his new deal does not kick in till next season,right now he is still on his rookie deal. If he continues to get stronger, fine tunes his 3 point shot, and becomes a better shot creator he will be worth the money. If he is a carbon copy of this year, he will be slightly overpaid.
    That's all true, his play next year will dictate whether or not he's worth it. After the outcry against the contract when it was given I'm just curious how people feel about after seeing his improvements. I may start one for Amir Johnson also.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Compare Rudy Gay and DeMar stats right now. I know it ain't all about stats, but still, DeMar averages the same than Gay in pretty much every category.

Right now I say he's worth the contract. He seems to put the work in night in night out and I guess he'll prove he's worth the contract to you guys that are still undecided.
    Last edited by charlesnba23; Mon Dec 24th, 2012 at 02:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

That's all true, his play next year will dictate whether or not he's worth it. After the outcry against the contract when it was given I'm just curious how people feel about after seeing his improvements. I may start one for Amir Johnson also.
    I was very vocal and bothered by contract for loss of flexibility and the amount.

Still bothered by loss of flexibility.

Not nearly as bothered by the amount. If DeMar was worth $5M before (and that is what I was thinking) he has raised himself to $7M (absolute max). Another $2.5M to go.

I hope the rest of this season and next year makes the contract not look bad.

One thing I think everyone can agree on though is his contract will never be viewed as a bargain or value.
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I was very vocal and bothered by contract for loss of flexibility and the amount.

Not nearly as bothered by the amount. If DeMar was worth $5M before (and that is what I was thinking) he has raised himself to $7M (absolute max). Another $2.5M to go.

One thing I think everyone can agree on though is his contract will never be viewed as a bargain or value.
    I don't like to use the word "never" but I do agree DeRozan's contract is unlikely to be ever be considered a bargain.

Post Thanks / Like

Only way DeMar was worth just $5M before would be if you only looked at his current skills at the time. If he was 30, yeah, he'd have been worth that. But at his age, he's got plenty of potential left.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I am concerned this will be another AB contract. That said, I am more confident in DD's progression than AB's.

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

DD has improved EVERY aspect of his game, has looked more and more like a pro, and has grown a consistency that has been lacking in almost every raptor since mo pete. DD shows all the signs that he will continue to improve and develop without stopping for a breath. Check out his stats, with more minutes, DD has increased his FG% 3pt%(I dont automatically scream 'NO' now) Rebounding (by far!) assists, steals, AND has lowered his turnover and foul rates in the process. I don't see anything but up for Derozan.

Let him grow more effecient, get a more consistent 3pt shot, have a more evolved game, become more of a playmaker, and he has the potential to be a top-10 SG in the league.

Currently, with these current stats and his young age, 9.5$ mil is a steal.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote KHD wrote: View Post
    Only way DeMar was worth just $5M before would be if you only looked at his current skills at the time. If he was 30, yeah, he'd have been worth that. But at his age, he's got plenty of potential left.
    History is littered with guys who got paid based on potential only to never live up to their end of the agreement. Considering DeRozan has always been a better athlete than basketball player, my skepticism and salary thresholds are merited, in my opinion of course.
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    I am concerned this will be another AB contract. That said, I am more confident in DD's progression than AB's.
    Good comparison on the deals. Both were based more on potential moving forward than the here-and-now.

Big difference between AB and DD is effort and desire. DeRozan clearly eats, lives, and breathes basketball and clearly wants to be the best he can be. Andrea..... well, I don't think I have to finish this sentence.
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    I don't like to use the word "never" but I do agree DeRozan's contract is unlikely to be ever be considered a bargain.
    Good point.

Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    At $9.5M a year, he would have the 55th richest contract next year. That does not include any free agents (like Howard/Paul, etc) but he would still be a top 60 paid player. He is not a top 60 player in my opinion.
    Other than huge stars such as Lebron and Kobe, IMO money has very little to do with how good a player is anymore, especially in these days of "poison pills" on contracts and such (see Landry Fields and Jeremy Lin).
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DeDe's Kids

If he isn't worth his contract than who on the Raps is? AB? Calderon? In my opinion if we can live with Amir's contract we should be happy with Demar's New extension. Whoever doesn't think he's a top 60 player needs to go take a look at the league, because I don't know 60 players who are better than him. I don't know about everyone else but when the game is close I want the ball in Demar's hands, he has been by far the most consistent Raptor all season, he is only 23 and already I consider him to be the leader of this team. He will only continue to get better, his prime is still 3 or 4 seasons away barring injury, so we really don't know what the finished product is gonna look like. If he has tightened up his dribble and can hit from 35% or more from 3, then watch out!! You can see his feel for the game has developed a ton this season, he no longer plays like a rook or someone who is relatively new to the league, he plays like a solid pro engaged at all times and ready to rock. If Reggie Evans can make 5 mill a season and no one goes off are you really gonna be mad at demar for making slightly less than 10 mill? I for one am more than confident that he will live up to his contract and it will be considered a value contract.

Merry Christmas Republic.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Put it this way we have Demar for the next 5+ years with JV and Ross hopefully Davis and Lowry too barring any trades. Demar loves Toronto wants to play here and works really hard on his game he is a gym rat and balls all summer with fellow NBA talent. On the positive side to look at things at least every year he comes back with some improvement unlike some NBA players he isn;t a genius he works hard to improve his natural gift is how athletic he is he expanded around that on his own.

4 more years of that is A OK in my book, Ross is also a really hard worker so hears hoping we got something here, and that Ed Davis carries what he did this summer into the future.

Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

good player, bad team. Lets revisit this when he's on a winner.
    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information