I didn't (and still don't) think we should have given him this contract, considering last years performance as an inefficient player with 'defensive issues'. I wasn't in favor of resigning him period. But now that we have, I'm not going to complain for 5 years about the size of his contract, it's a done deal.

I'm very encouraged by what we've seen so far this year. In my book he's not high in the top 100 (if he even is) because his offense isn't good enough to hide his mediocre defense, but (based on pretty much nothing) I'm expecting him to improve his defense in the next couple of years.

I hope, if we land an above average sf for Calderon/Bargnani it will be someone with good defensive skills who can play a good role on the court in this development of the other players. I love how Garnett does that with Boston; no matter what you think of him, he directs the defense on the court and turned (almost singlehandedly) some questionable defenders in at least adequate ones. Of course Garnett is one of the best (if not the best) in the league at this, but even half of what he does would be great. I hoped Lowry would fill this role, but unfortunately it doesn't quite look like it.