Demar Derozan is worth is contract?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demar Derozan is worth is contract?

We're 28 games into the season and I'm curious what people think of Demar Derozan's contract now? He is signed for four years after this one for a total of 38 million plus incentives.

I'm actually pretty pleased with the contract, he is a legit NBA calibre starter at the 2 that still has some potential to improve a lot and is already good for 19 pts and 5 boards almost every night. His shot is improving and he never seems to force his game, taking almost everything in the flow of the offense. He's an improved defender, maybe not great but he's better than a lot of other wings out there.

What is most impressive about him, IMO, is the fact that he has missed a total of 8 games in in the four seasons he's played and is averaging 31 minutes a game in that time. Durability is one of the most underrated aspects in an NBA player and DD seems to have it in spades (knock on wood).

I'm personnally still not happy that we didn't at least see what his market value was in the offseason but I guess BC wanted to show our faith in him and was looking to buy low.
    Yes!
    60.71%
    No!
    14.29%
    Undecided!?
    25.00%
    Last edited by hateslosing; Mon Dec 24, 2012, 02:18 PM. Reason: Inability to use proper grammer.
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

hateslosing wrote: View Post
    We're 28 games into the season and I'm curious what people think of Demar Derozan's contract now? He is signed for four years after this one for a total of 38 million plus incentives.

I'm actually pretty pleased with the contract, he is a legit NBA calibre starter at the 2 that still has some potential to improve a lot and is already good for 19 pts and 5 boards almost every night. His shot is improving and he never seems to force his game, taking almost everything in the flow of the offense. He's an improved defender, maybe not great but he's better than a lot of other wings out there.

What is most impressive about him, IMO, is the fact that he has missed a total of 8 games in in the four seasons he's played and is averaging 31 minutes a game in that time. Durability is one of the most underrated aspects in an NBA player and DD seems to have it in spades (knock on wood).

I'm personnally still not happy that we didn't at least see what his market value was in the offseason but I guess BC wanted to show our faith in him and was looking to buy low.
    I couldn't agree more. DD is a definite 'core piece' on any team-- even on teams were he wouldn't be a starter, his amazing athleticism, durability and commitment make him one of those players every coach loves to have around. He's not perfect but with his attitude and drive to improve we can all be confident he'll keep working his ass off to get better.

Edit: can you imagine a championship caliber team being able to bring a guy like DD in off the bench?

Comment

At $9.5M a year, he would have the 55th richest contract next year. That does not include any free agents (like Howard/Paul, etc) but he would still be a top 60 paid player. He is not a top 60 player in my opinion.

He gets a lot of minutes, but puts up mediocre numbers and his defense needs big time improvement. Is he worth the contract right now? No. Will he be worth his contract soon? I sure hope so.

Comment

He is still on his rookie contract and making $3.3M.

He is currently worth that contract.

Will he be worth $9.5M in 2013-14? Time will tell but he is not on that contract yet so mark me down as undecided.

Comment

We won't know till we see what improvements he makes this summer, his new deal does not kick in till next season,right now he is still on his rookie deal. If he continues to get stronger, fine tunes his 3 point shot, and becomes a better shot creator he will be worth the money. If he is a carbon copy of this year, he will be slightly overpaid.
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

Will he be worth $9.5M in 2013-14? Time will tell but he is not on that contract yet so mark me down as undecided.
            You beat me to it.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
              We won't know till we see what improvements he makes this summer, his new deal does not kick in till next season,right now he is still on his rookie deal. If he continues to get stronger, fine tunes his 3 point shot, and becomes a better shot creator he will be worth the money. If he is a carbon copy of this year, he will be slightly overpaid.
              That's all true, his play next year will dictate whether or not he's worth it. After the outcry against the contract when it was given I'm just curious how people feel about after seeing his improvements. I may start one for Amir Johnson also.
              "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Compare Rudy Gay and DeMar stats right now. I know it ain't all about stats, but still, DeMar averages the same than Gay in pretty much every category.

Right now I say he's worth the contract. He seems to put the work in night in night out and I guess he'll prove he's worth the contract to you guys that are still undecided.
                Last edited by charlesnba23; Mon Dec 24, 2012, 03:04 PM.

Comment

That's all true, his play next year will dictate whether or not he's worth it. After the outcry against the contract when it was given I'm just curious how people feel about after seeing his improvements. I may start one for Amir Johnson also.
                  I was very vocal and bothered by contract for loss of flexibility and the amount.

Still bothered by loss of flexibility.

Not nearly as bothered by the amount. If DeMar was worth $5M before (and that is what I was thinking) he has raised himself to $7M (absolute max). Another $2.5M to go.

I hope the rest of this season and next year makes the contract not look bad.

One thing I think everyone can agree on though is his contract will never be viewed as a bargain or value.

Comment

I was very vocal and bothered by contract for loss of flexibility and the amount.

Not nearly as bothered by the amount. If DeMar was worth $5M before (and that is what I was thinking) he has raised himself to $7M (absolute max). Another $2.5M to go.

One thing I think everyone can agree on though is his contract will never be viewed as a bargain or value.
                    I don't like to use the word "never" but I do agree DeRozan's contract is unlikely to be ever be considered a bargain.

Comment

Only way DeMar was worth just $5M before would be if you only looked at his current skills at the time. If he was 30, yeah, he'd have been worth that. But at his age, he's got plenty of potential left.

Comment

I am concerned this will be another AB contract. That said, I am more confident in DD's progression than AB's.

Comment

DD has improved EVERY aspect of his game, has looked more and more like a pro, and has grown a consistency that has been lacking in almost every raptor since mo pete. DD shows all the signs that he will continue to improve and develop without stopping for a breath. Check out his stats, with more minutes, DD has increased his FG% 3pt%(I dont automatically scream 'NO' now) Rebounding (by far!) assists, steals, AND has lowered his turnover and foul rates in the process. I don't see anything but up for Derozan.

Let him grow more effecient, get a more consistent 3pt shot, have a more evolved game, become more of a playmaker, and he has the potential to be a top-10 SG in the league.

Currently, with these current stats and his young age, 9.5$ mil is a steal.
                          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                            Only way DeMar was worth just $5M before would be if you only looked at his current skills at the time. If he was 30, yeah, he'd have been worth that. But at his age, he's got plenty of potential left.
                            History is littered with guys who got paid based on potential only to never live up to their end of the agreement. Considering DeRozan has always been a better athlete than basketball player, my skepticism and salary thresholds are merited, in my opinion of course.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                              I am concerned this will be another AB contract. That said, I am more confident in DD's progression than AB's.
                              Good comparison on the deals. Both were based more on potential moving forward than the here-and-now.

Big difference between AB and DD is effort and desire. DeRozan clearly eats, lives, and breathes basketball and clearly wants to be the best he can be. Andrea..... well, I don't think I have to finish this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                              X