Demar Derozan is worth is contract?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    I don't like to use the word "never" but I do agree DeRozan's contract is unlikely to be ever be considered a bargain.
    Good point.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
      At $9.5M a year, he would have the 55th richest contract next year. That does not include any free agents (like Howard/Paul, etc) but he would still be a top 60 paid player. He is not a top 60 player in my opinion.
      Other than huge stars such as Lebron and Kobe, IMO money has very little to do with how good a player is anymore, especially in these days of "poison pills" on contracts and such (see Landry Fields and Jeremy Lin).
      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

DeDe's Kids

If he isn't worth his contract than who on the Raps is? AB? Calderon? In my opinion if we can live with Amir's contract we should be happy with Demar's New extension. Whoever doesn't think he's a top 60 player needs to go take a look at the league, because I don't know 60 players who are better than him. I don't know about everyone else but when the game is close I want the ball in Demar's hands, he has been by far the most consistent Raptor all season, he is only 23 and already I consider him to be the leader of this team. He will only continue to get better, his prime is still 3 or 4 seasons away barring injury, so we really don't know what the finished product is gonna look like. If he has tightened up his dribble and can hit from 35% or more from 3, then watch out!! You can see his feel for the game has developed a ton this season, he no longer plays like a rook or someone who is relatively new to the league, he plays like a solid pro engaged at all times and ready to rock. If Reggie Evans can make 5 mill a season and no one goes off are you really gonna be mad at demar for making slightly less than 10 mill? I for one am more than confident that he will live up to his contract and it will be considered a value contract.

Merry Christmas Republic.

Comment

Put it this way we have Demar for the next 5+ years with JV and Ross hopefully Davis and Lowry too barring any trades. Demar loves Toronto wants to play here and works really hard on his game he is a gym rat and balls all summer with fellow NBA talent. On the positive side to look at things at least every year he comes back with some improvement unlike some NBA players he isn;t a genius he works hard to improve his natural gift is how athletic he is he expanded around that on his own.

4 more years of that is A OK in my book, Ross is also a really hard worker so hears hoping we got something here, and that Ed Davis carries what he did this summer into the future.

Comment

good player, bad team. Lets revisit this when he's on a winner.
            LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

I didn't (and still don't) think we should have given him this contract, considering last years performance as an inefficient player with 'defensive issues'. I wasn't in favor of resigning him period. But now that we have, I'm not going to complain for 5 years about the size of his contract, it's a done deal.

I'm very encouraged by what we've seen so far this year. In my book he's not high in the top 100 (if he even is) because his offense isn't good enough to hide his mediocre defense, but (based on pretty much nothing) I'm expecting him to improve his defense in the next couple of years.

I hope, if we land an above average sf for Calderon/Bargnani it will be someone with good defensive skills who can play a good role on the court in this development of the other players. I love how Garnett does that with Boston; no matter what you think of him, he directs the defense on the court and turned (almost singlehandedly) some questionable defenders in at least adequate ones. Of course Garnett is one of the best (if not the best) in the league at this, but even half of what he does would be great. I hoped Lowry would fill this role, but unfortunately it doesn't quite look like it.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                Good comparison on the deals. Both were based more on potential moving forward than the here-and-now.

Big difference between AB and DD is effort and desire. DeRozan clearly eats, lives, and breathes basketball and clearly wants to be the best he can be. Andrea..... well, I don't think I have to finish this sentence.
                I am not sure how else to base a contract that extends for 4 or 5 years. You might think that his current value isn't up to the number, but it is too hard to predict what his worth will be in 5 years from now and that is what this contract has tried to do. It would be great if players were willing to be paid based on there production four years ago, but that doesn't seem realistic.

I was also disappointed that the team committed this money before they really needed to, but I don't think the number is out of line when compared to others out there. I hope DD keeps working hard and improving each year, that, to me, is what makes him worth the investment. As a side note I also like that he has been positively talking up the city and country this season, looking to attract other players to the team and city. whether that happens or not is still to be seen, but I;m glad he is trying to help strengthen the team.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                  At $9.5M a year, he would have the 55th richest contract next year. That does not include any free agents (like Howard/Paul, etc) but he would still be a top 60 paid player. He is not a top 60 player in my opinion.

He gets a lot of minutes, but puts up mediocre numbers and his defense needs big time improvement. Is he worth the contract right now? No. Will he be worth his contract soon? I sure hope so.
                  Mediocre numbers? 18 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, & a steal per game on 44% shooting, and 81% from the free throw line. Also, at one point, throughout the stretch of 5 games I believe (correct if mistaken), he was the number 1 leading scorer in the NBA, in the "last 5 games" category. I believe the average was 27.9 points over the course... Definitely not all-star numbers, but definitely better than mediocre.

His on-ball defense no mention needs improvement, but one thing in my opinion, seems to be underrated of Demar, is his off-ball defense, and his ability to jump-to-ball. He knows the right times when to double a player, he always seems to be in the right position on the 'shell', and he seems to get out on every long pass. The guy is pretty well taught on system defense (probably thanks to Coach Casey).

Is he a top 60 players? If I had to pick 1 or 2 players from each team, that's maybe about from a minimum of 30, to a maximum of 60 players. I could definitely find Demar in the top 60. Top 30? Unlikely, but it really is an opinion thing.
                  Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

He's a good kid and with his work ethic should get better each year. He also seems to have a bit of juice around the league and even had B. Jennings tweeting about Toronto, so if he can help attract free agents then his contracts becomes that much more worth it.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                      He's a good kid and with his work ethic should get better each year. He also seems to have a bit of juice around the league and even had B. Jennings tweeting about Toronto, so if he can help attract free agents then his contracts becomes that much more worth it.
                      Word is everyone from L.A is fond of him, and he has good relationships with a lot of the big names.
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

He's slightly overpaid right now.

But, I mean, I'm not angry or upset about his contract.

Still think he'll be worth it, if he continues his growth. Even if he plateau's a little, I thikn he'll still be worth it.

Comment

He is still on his rookie contract and making $3.3M.

He is currently worth that contract.

Will he be worth $9.5M in 2013-14? Time will tell but he is not on that contract yet so mark me down as undecided.
                          What a load of bullsh-

Merry Christmas!

Comment

History is littered with guys who got paid based on potential only to never live up to their end of the agreement. Considering DeRozan has always been a better athlete than basketball player, my skepticism and salary thresholds are merited, in my opinion of course.
                            No question there are lots of guys like this. That's the reality of the NBA market. DeRozan has become a pretty good basketball player this year, in my opinion, and from what we hear he's a hard worker, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                              No question there are lots of guys like this. That's the reality of the NBA market. DeRozan has become a pretty good basketball player this year, in my opinion, and from what we hear he's a hard worker, so I'm cautiously optimistic.
                              I am as well but that is the hope I have as a Raptor fan.

Comment

The good thing about his performance this year is that IF NECESSARY trading him in the off-season becomes easier. I'm glad that he's lived up to the trust management has put on him. After all that's happened so far this season, the last thing BC would want is Demar playing poorly.
                                Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X