Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lowry being packaged on the block already?

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lowry being packaged on the block already?

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/smith_121224.html

"The Raptors have won five straight and one of their big surprises has been Michigan State’s Alan Anderson. He’s bounced around teams in Europe, Asia, the Middle East and the D-League the last seven years and basically after sitting all season is averaging 17 points in the last four games, all Toronto wins. … Though he’s out now injured, the Raptors supposedly would like to put Kyle Lowry in a trade package and keep Jose Calderon. The Raptors give up 11 more points per game when Lowry is on the court compared with Calderon. … "

If this is to bring Jennings Demar's boy and huge fan of the city of Toronto (was here quite a bit in and out of the city with demar last off season) Im 100% behind moving Lowry for Jennings other than that though.... not really I think Lowry is pretty legit when he is healthy.

I dont think Lowry is to blame for the defensive woes either they should check the guy Lowry has to play with the 7 foot statue on the perimiter, calderon played off the bench with our better defending players +a downlow presence of Ed and Amir not to mention Lowry also suffered a line up of 3 players with bad defending capabilities (Bargs,Calderon, Demar) of course the opposing team is going to score :S

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

As much as I like Calderon, I hope that this isn't true. Not because it's a bad idea but because it worries me that management is willing to sell the farm based on 5 games.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no attachment to Lowry really. If he can bring in some good talented youth then I would be happy to trade him.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Lowry's got an ego. It would be good to get rid of him.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see what a package of Bargnani and Lowry would bring? Would it be enough to secure a good SF?

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Whatever brings more talent to Toronto I am all for it.

2 things must be noted:

1) Lowry is by far the most talented player in Toronto and has played just 3 games healthy.

2) I find Sam Smith to be a notorious ass-talker..... because it takes one to know one afterall
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Bad idea. It's way too early to give up on Lowry, and would make the front office look terrible. Sounds like a lot of conjecture ...

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is not true. Everybody know Lowry is better than Calderon and that Calderon is out this summer. This isn't true. Kyle Lowry will start against New Orleans

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Moving Anderson makes a boat-load of sense. They paid nothing for him, and he has proven to have value. I don't see what Lowry has to do with the rumor though. If I was a GM with an asset like AA I would package him with a big contract so that I could move a player like AB. A team may move a quality 3 for AA and a Bargs. Moving Lowry, with the lack of time they've had to look at him on his tiny contract makes no sense unless we're talking after the season for a draft pick.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see this happening at all.

Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I call BS. Raptors can't trade him even if they want to. If I remember correctly a player you trade for cant be traded in the same season. Since we acquired Lowry this season we can't trade him until at least this offseason.

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Even though there are some players on the roster that I don't think they should be shopping necessarily, there really shouldn't be any untouchables either. As is the case with just about any trade, it really depends on what the Raptors are getting back when it comes to saying whether it's a good idea or not.

I will say however that I think that any deal involving Lowry should be part of a bigger plan for the PG position that isn't just re-signing Calderon for 3 years this summer and allowing him to remain the starter; Whether it's getting a PG back as part of the deal, targeting one in free agency this summer or trying to acquire a first rounder and tabbing one in the draft.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tucas wrote: View Post
    I call BS. Raptors can't trade him even if they want to. If I remember correctly a player you trade for cant be traded in the same season. Since we acquired Lowry this season we can't trade him until at least this offseason.
    The team who traded him can't reacquire.

Raps could have sent him out on his own at any time but could not have packaged him.

To package him, Raps had to wait 2 months which is now well up.

Lowry can be traded to anyone other than Houston - but I do call BS as well.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I get the sense that Lowry will be able to adapt well when he comes back. He still seems engaged in games unlike #7 who is chilling at the end of the bench with no emotions.

Lowry is our most talented player. He just needs to pick his spots, stop gambling on defense. I do believe he needs to come off the bench and let Jose set the team up to get them going.

I think the five game winning streak is humbling for a player like Lowry who has an ego.

Post Thanks / Like

If there is a trade that improves our team then sure... But I smell some BS

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If it is true it makes the management look bad and a guy like Lowry hearing murmers about being on a trade block already? awful. Calderon is always solid no surprise let him do it off the bench.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is utter nonsense. This franchise stuck around to watch Bargs do nothing for 7 years and yet Lowry's on his way out? This nonsense needs to stop.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to trade Lowry just for the sake of trading him.. however I also don't want to see another Bosh situation. Lowry has only 1 and a half years left on his contract. Come February, his trade stock will be at its highest. Once the summer comes, most teams may reconsider giving up assets for him since he'll be an unrestricted FA in one year (thus a rental). The Raptors on the other hand would have to decide if he is a long term answer (and possibly a max contract guy).

Personally, I think Lowry is the most talented guy on the team. And this team needs as many talented players as they can get.. however they are no where close to competing at a high level and Lowry is already 26. A bull dog type player like him will decline fast. Most PG's that play hard nosed ball don't last long in the league unfortunately. So I would be okay to move on without him for the right price.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why does this always happen to the raps?

This reminds me in some ways of John Stockton vs Gary Payton debate, Stockton being the consummate teammate where as Payton was by far the most talented PG of his era but known for being a bit of a jerk towards his teammates. Not that Jose or Kyle are on either of their levels. However Stockton like Jose played to make his teammates better, and while Lowry doesn't rock the boat like GP did he does have a bit of an attitude problem. I think if you asked the team who's more talented they would all tell you it's Lowry, but ask them who they'd rather play with I think for the most part they would say Jose, especially the Bigs on the team (ed, jv, amir etc), because Jose makes an effort to get everyone involved and he isn't jacking up threes in 7 seconds or less like Lowry is prone to doing at times.... Sure sometimes it goes in, but a lot of times in crucial moments of the game.... it doesn't. My biggest concern with Lowry is that he thinks he's an all star, and he surely is if stats were the only indicator of how good a player is, but we all know that isn't always the case and in his case his ego gets in the way of team success. I don't know what to do with him but if we can get a first rounder for him I'm all for it. There are some interesting PG prospects in this coming draft (Michael Carter Williams, Lorenzo Brown, Marcus Smart and Ray McCallum just to name a few). Whatever happens though this has to be one of the most bizarre Raptors seasons in a while. From expectations being so high to the team falling so low, Bargnani looking like he's back in his sophmore season, Jose being on the block first and now Kyle being on the block instead. Remember when people used to say this: In BC we trust... lmao memories

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

His ego gets in the way of team success? How can you say this after he played what, 16 games with the Raps? I'd rather trade Jose as soon as Lowry gets back on the court, make him start until the trade deadline and see. I'm sure Lowry, once he's 100% healthy and playing big minutes (around 35 a game), could be playing like an all star. So let's just wait for now then see. To me Jose's era in Toronto got to be a thing of the past, for the Raps but also for Jose. Trade Lowry now? I think I'd become a Lakers fan.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information