No announcement yet.

Points in the paint: we have a problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Points in the paint: we have a problem.

We have an old Raptors problem once again rearing its ugly head: we don't score in the paint. This year we are 27th in the league, which is down from 25th last year. We don't have anyone on the team who even tries to drive it with Ross and DD being trigger happy and Jose being more perimeter oriented. John Lucas drives sometimes but I'm not sure he is the guy we want taking it to the hoop. Our bigs either don't have the the experience or are too small to get deep post often enough to make a difference.

I think there is a simple answer to this problem: we need Lowry back. While Jose has been playing out of his mind I think we've forgotten why Lowry was brought in: he can get to the rim. All other things aside, we need a guy who can get in the paint because we don't have the shooting talent on this team to beat good teams by chucking. When Lowry started the year playing out of his mind we were all excited, then he got hurt and came back to soon and now everyone wants him gone. I think he needs a chance to come back 100% and remind us why we were so excited.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat...paint-per-game
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Lowry can drive that is for sure, but whats up with his finishes, he never seems to finish them, like other elite point guards. So many chances for 3pt plays get wasted and all he gets is 2 shots, often spliting them during crucial times. During some of our troubles he was not even registering his free throws, and that disturbed me because I got the feeling he wasn't as focused.

I have since backed off this and just assumed he was injured, or excessively fat for what he is trying to do... trying to look the other way, on the whole attitude thing and pretend it does not exist and that he can still become the player that we so badly need in Toronto.
    Last edited by BasketballCrush; Thu Dec 27, 2012, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Also, even though I have not been overwhelmed with his defense, he is one hell of a rebounder at his position, and that in turn translates into defense, so I give him points on the other side as well.

Comment

Well even if Lowry doesnt finish its still a good thing, Lowry's playstlye gets him to the line no team wants to be in foul trouble, it also opens things up for shooters and DeRozan to have more flexibility in his game.

yes and 1s are great but getting to the line is just as good and 1s are tough people. You need your guard to keep the opposing defense honest Calderon doesnt attack which has always been a problem, Park was fresh to do anything he wanted to Calderon last night and got to relax on D cause Calderon isn't going to run by him.

Comment

I think just taking a look at the rotation of this team will tell you why we aren't getting points in the paint. Even our big guys like Amir and ED are stepping out. ED's developing a mid-range game, and Amir can hit 10/10 from just inside the three if wide open. Barg's never been a paint player, and DeRozan's expanding to the 3pt line as well. Unless Gray or Acy counts, Amir is basically the only guy getting in there on offense.
          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
            Well even if Lowry doesnt finish its still a good thing, Lowry's playstlye gets him to the line no team wants to be in foul trouble, it also opens things up for shooters and DeRozan to have more flexibility in his game.

yes and 1s are great but getting to the line is just as good and 1s are tough people. You need your guard to keep the opposing defense honest Calderon doesnt attack which has always been a problem, Park was fresh to do anything he wanted to Calderon last night and got to relax on D cause Calderon isn't going to run by him.
            you do not win the game by getting fouls on the team alone, if he gets one he needs to make the most of the opportunity. There are lots of point guards that do. Also, the problem with Lowry, is not his driving, but disrupting the flow of the game for the other players. I don't want to see the last 5 minutes of the game lowry driving on every play, turning it over, missing a shot, not getting a call and doing the same thing next time around. There are 4 other players on the court and he needs to make them better, during the last 5 minutes as well.

You lose games by trading 1 point for 2.
            Last edited by BasketballCrush; Thu Dec 27, 2012, 03:41 PM.

Comment

1. We have no one who can consistently get points in the post - DeRozan is probably our best one.

2. We don't have a lot of shot creators, dribble penetrate and dish. Our ball movement mainly consists of pin downs and Jose's options off a screen and roll. If no one can get past their man off the bounce, we are limited to jump shots.

One thing I liked about the Cleveland game was the high low action with Ed and JV. Ed does a great job at flashing to the high post. That's a good way of attacking the defense. The Bulls run a lot of that action and have their bigs make plays up top. I hope to see more of that action.
              “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

Working...
              X