View Poll Results: IF it get's blown up, who would you KEEP?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jonas Valanciunas

26 86.67%
  • Demar Derozan

17 56.67%
  • Kyle Lowry

10 33.33%
  • Ed Davis

16 53.33%
  • Jose Calderon (see Bargnani, Andrea)

3 10.00%
  • Andrea Bargnani (it's only fair I include him with all the others)

3 10.00%
  • Amir Johnson

5 16.67%
  • Terrence Ross

17 56.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Players that could be traded this season - Poll Added: Do we have any Keepers?

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Players that could be traded this season - Poll Added: Do we have any Keepers?

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ade-candidates

OUCH. But true.

Since this team has been so disappointing, any one can (and SHOULD) be traded.

What a disaster.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ade-candidates

OUCH. But true.

Since this team has been so disappointing, any one can (and SHOULD) be traded.

What a disaster.
    And this:

3. Rudy Gay's Defense

It's still not quite trustworthy, at least in the way you'd like from a max-salaried wing set to play 40-plus minutes in the playoffs for a would-be contender. Gay is a worker, but there are still too many minor lapses in positioning and effort. Gay is often a half-step out of position against side pick-and-rolls, and that half-step makes it much harder for him to force those ball handlers to the baseline — and away from the middle. And opponents know they can score the occasional easy runout in transition as Gay watches his shot or that of a teammate. He needs to clean this stuff up.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

You are not a true fan if you think that DD & Ed should be traded for the efforts they are putting up. But to each his/her own opinion right?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

ha ha ha from that article they talk about Phoenix's PJ Tucker: "a fierce defender in P.J. Tucker"

So we draft him, he goes play sin someone's kitchen in Latvia for 4 years, and now he's a great defender

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
    You are not a true fan if you think that DD & Ed should be traded for the efforts they are putting up. But to each his/her own opinion right?
    If the Raptors are going to start over with a completely new rebuild, than Valanciunas is the only player on the current roster that I would worry about keeping. If the right trade comes along, every other player should be expendable. You have to remember that being open to trading a player doesn't mean you hate that player or think he's useless... I would hope that any trade made is only made to make the team better (not just for the sake of trading).

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    If the Raptors are going to start over with a completely new rebuild, than Valanciunas is the only player on the current roster that I would worry about keeping. If the right trade comes along, every other player should be expendable. You have to remember that being open to trading a player doesn't mean you hate that player or think he's useless... I would hope that any trade made is only made to make the team better (not just for the sake of trading).
    +1

Although I'd be hesitant to include Ross just because he's so young.. he could turn into a Ray Allen type (wishful thinking I know) but you don't want to give up on a guy like that so soon.

Raptors Republic Rookie Scummer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A bunch of overachievers. They won 4 more games than I though they would.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Obviously JV is the only true untouchable, but I don't think you're going to find a deal for Demar that makes sense at this point. He's having a good season, and just signed an extension. Maybe next season if he's still improving some teams will be offering good deals for him. But even then, he will seem like really good value, so chances are no team is going to offer something worthwhile for him, as they'll all be trying to steal him or dump crap on us.

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone other than Derozan, Davis, Valanciunas, Ross, and Lowry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Everyone other than Derozan, Davis, Valanciunas, Ross, and Lowry.
    I like them all, but I certainly hope that DeRozan, Davis, Ross and Lowry wouldn't be considered 'untouchable'. Ross is probably the closest to that, given his contract, age and potential.

Lowry
    - until/unless he gest extended, there's always a risk that he simply walks after his contract, which automatically makes him a tradeable asset
    - why would you shell out huge money to a guy who's going to be 27 in March, if the team is starting over and won't be ready to contend for playoffs for at least 2-3 seasons at least?

Davis
    - solid backup PF, easily replaced

DeRozan
    - despite offensive improvement, he's still a defensive liability and he has no outside shot
    - if Toronto does decide to start a complete 3-5 year rebuild, I would think that if a team offered a top-10 pick in a loaded draft class and allowed the franchise to get out from under DeRozan's huge new contract, you'd have to strongly consider it
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Dec 11th, 2012 at 01:55 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I like them all, but I certainly hope that DeRozan, Davis, Ross and Lowry wouldn't be considered 'untouchable'. Ross is probably the closest to that, given his contract, age and potential.

Lowry
    - until/unless he gest extended, there's always a risk that he simply walks after his contract, which automatically makes him a tradeable asset
    - why would you shell out huge money to a guy who's going to be 27 in March, if the team is starting over and won't be ready to contend for playoffs for at least 2-3 seasons at least?
    This. Not to mention hes not all i hope he would be. I knew he was bullheaded and was going to force things outside of the offense and wasnt going to be the distrubutor jose is, but he was touted repeatedly as a good preimeter defender. This I have yet to see.

I feel like hes getting a free pass far too often on this site. Whats the biggest change we have made from this year to last year... you can credit are good defense to bargs being injured all you want, but in reality I think you need to start looking at our supposed leader and floor general as well.

Raptors Republic Starter draftedraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Obviously JV is the only true untouchable, but I don't think you're going to find a deal for Demar that makes sense at this point. He's having a good season, and just signed an extension. Maybe next season if he's still improving some teams will be offering good deals for him. But even then, he will seem like really good value, so chances are no team is going to offer something worthwhile for him, as they'll all be trying to steal him or dump crap on us.
    +1

Demar is off the trading block IMO unless he is used in a deal to bring a franchise talent.

Raptors Republic Starter jimmie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If you truly believe this is the Rapocalypse, then Valanciunas should be on the block, too. After all, he's your most valuable asset. "Blow it up" means just that -- blanket changes, no one is safe. Which is why it's nonsense as a team-building strategy. Panic is expected from fans, but it's not something I want to see in the front office, no matter how dire the situation.
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Raptors Republic Starter mike, prague's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
    Amen, the only 2 players (+ the occasional amir and the good part of Lowry) I have loved watching this season

Raptors Republic Rookie Profster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I see indications of Lowry wanting to get "his" late in games. I feel he has cost the Raptors a couple of potential wins by not distributing the ball to the open man. I get worried that he is not the asset we think he is. I would see what he is worth as well.

Keep JV, Ed and DD and market the rest for the best deal on expiring contracts and draft picks. I might even take back Vince (and give his mom back her parking spot) as long as a first rounder came with him.
    Last edited by Profster; Tue Dec 11th, 2012 at 05:52 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lowry

Davis
    - solid backup PF, easily replaced

DeRozan
    - despite offensive improvement, he's still a defensive liability and he has no outside shot
    - if Toronto does decide to start a complete 3-5 year rebuild, I would think that if a team offered a top-10 pick in a loaded draft class and allowed the franchise to get out from under DeRozan's huge new contract, you'd have to strongly consider it
    I also like those 3 players but can't argue your points at all. For all the shit Andrea takes for not rebounding well and help defense (typical big man strengths) Demar is as bad at shooting and creating for others (typical SG strengths). The roster is flawed and is full of players with gaping holes in their games. Lowry is the closest thing to a complete player but has the maturity of a teenager at times and doesn't run the offense well enough in my opinion.

With each game that passes it's more and more obvious we are no where near being a respectable team. JV is really nice but not sure he's anywhere near being a game changer anytime soon. I'm definitely up for moving any body on the team not named JV. Lowry is nice but at 27 is he our PG of the future? By the time JV is ready to perform Lowry could be on the decline and it's not as if he's a Jason Kidd or Nash type where age doesn't matter as much as they don't rely on athleticism. This constant losing has me with no confidence in anyone currently under contract other then JV (long term).

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

JV for sure. And i would add DeMar on that list too. The others? i could care less.

Watching Lowry play this year, now i know why he butted heads with McHale last year in Houston. The guy takes way too many UNNECESSARY and just completely DUMB shots. His shot selection is just brutal. Defensively, he takes way too many risks and it's hurting the team big time.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Who do you keep?

With all the rumors about Jose and Bargnani probably being traded, who on this team DO you keep? It's all well and good to shake things up the the fact is we are not going to get much back for Bargs and a team that has 2 real scoring options (Demar and Lowry) is not doing much this year or any other. So realistically one of two things will happen:

1. We sign a free agent in the off season who can score a lot of points
    2. We rebuild through the draft....again

If we rebuild throught he draft, which is the more likely of the two options, we don't have a pick this year which means we are not going to be adding any high level talent (unles we such hard all year and then get lucky). So it will be the end of next season at the earliest that we can start building around newly drafted talent. Kyle Lowry is 26 and Amir Johnson is 25 so by the time we have a high pick and that pick has 2-3 years to develop, they will both be almost 30 and on their way out of their primes (especially Lowry, who has been injured a lot in his career). Gray,
    Pietrus, Kleiza, and the D leaguers are all pretty useless and aren't long term solutions anywhere. So basically we are left with:

Derozan: Best player on the team and coming into his own. At 23 he is young enough to be in his prime when we add some talent. He is one of the players we can start the rebuild around.

Davis: Young, and with a tremendous amount of rebounding ability. I think he has been a bright spot this year and I'd like to think the falshes of a post game he's shown are and indicator of th future.

Jonas: Future of the franchise at this point.

Terrance Ross: Not sure how he is going to develop, but he's a young athletic rookie so he gets the benefit of the doubt.

Landry Fields: hasn't played much but fits the age we need and could be good.

Who do you keep?
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Post Thanks / Like

Great post Hateslosing.

Hope you don't mind I moved in with the rest of the conversation about who on the team is salvageable, that was started yesterday.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Great post Hateslosing.

Hope you don't mind I moved in with the rest of the conversation about who on the team is salvageable, that was started yesterday.
    Thanks ,
    It's all good, I only made a new one so I could add a poll. This works fine.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information