No announcement yet.

Addressing myths approaching Lowry's return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is no such thing as "easy looks" in the NBA, just great point guards.

(and if we think easy looks are meh... we really are loosing our collective sanity)

Comment

btw, i really enjoyed the exchange between matt and the coach. Saw this thread on my g3 while having to do all sorts of chores, and could not rush back fast enough to contribute to it.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
        While you can say Davis and Ross are better because of consistent minutes, you can't underestimate the value of receiving the ball in the right place at the right time....something the current starter does extremely well.

Just saying.
        Well, lets hope Jose Continues to give them the ball in the right place at the right time (even with the second unit). There's no reason to stop now!

Comment

We have been talking about the rookies, but from my understanding the player that benefits the most from Jose on the floor is Amir Johnson. So its not just rookies.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
            Okay, let's see how much of that can be explained by both strength-of-schedule and home-away schedule.

At home, we are 2-2 with Lowry as the starter, with wins over Minnesota and Phoenix, the opening night loss to Indiana, and the overtime loss to the Spurs. With Calderon, we are 5-3 at home, with the four recent home wins (Houston, Orlando, Detroit, Dallas), plus an additional win against Dallas. And losses against Philadelphia, Utah in OT, and Brooklyn. Lowry's got the tougher schedule here, with his only losses to Indiana and San Antonio, the two best road teams that we've played. On the other hand, our worst home loss was clearly the Philadelphia game that Calderon started. Despite the better record, there's not much of an argument for Calderon delivering better results at home.

On the road, Calderon has a slight edge. Obviously, he won two of his games, (2-3 record overall), and one of those was an impressive win over Indiana, arguably Calderon's best game as a Raptor. His other win came against bottom-feeder Cleveland. All of the bottom-feeders or even average teams that we've played on the road with Lowry at the helm have been close games: losses to Charlotte, Detroit, Philly, and Sacramento. But most of Lowry's road games have been losses to excellent home teams: Utah, Denver, Memphis, Houston, Portland, Clippers. So while Calderon deserves credit for leading the Raptors to their only truly unlikely win of the season thus far, there isn't a whole lot in his resume thus far that surpasses what Lowry has done.

The team has come together because we've actually had time at home for Casey to run regular practices, and for the team to get into a routine. It's no coincidence that every stretch where the team has played well (the very beginning of the season, the Utah OT loss and Indiana win, the recent winning streak) have involved stretches of several days at home. Infact, every time the team gets a significant amount of time at home, the result has been a drastically improved style of play.
            Nice break down.

Comment

I have enjoyed Lowry's play, but it does reek of Bahama James in the last few minutes.

It has been pointed out that against weak opponents we have been close with Lowry. However, it is also those games that made me see that our team kept falling apart in the final minutes. We always got away from what kept us in those games and Lowry would start to take an increasing dominant role in that time frame. The result was that we lost all those close games.

Even though, in many of those efforts, we played strongly as a TEAM. The team would fall apart in the final possessions. Guys that we though should see the ball, never did. (alot of times it was blamed on coaching)

(either Casey is changing his coaching for which point guard is on the floor, or these point guards are bringing different things to the team)

EDIT: BTW, I don't belive in either, OR's, I think its combination of all things. I do think Casey has adjusted his coaching, and I do think that both point guards bring different styles. I also think that Lowry's faults are correctable, but unfortunately, they are up to him to address. I am banking he can do that. Everyone has shown adjustment, it would by silly to think Lowry can't do so as well.
              Last edited by BasketballCrush; Fri Dec 28, 2012, 03:42 PM.

Comment

BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
                I have enjoyed Lowry's play, but it does reek of Bahama James in the last few minutes.

It has been pointed out that against weak opponents we have been close with Lowry. However, it is also those games that made me see that our team kept falling apart in the final minutes. We always got away from what kept us in those games and Lowry would start to take an increasing dominant role in that time frame. The result was that we lost all those close games.

Even though, in many of those efforts, we played strongly as a TEAM. The team would fall apart in the final possessions. Guys that we though should see the ball, never did. (alot of times it was blamed on coaching)

(either Casey is changing his coaching for which point guard is on the floor, or these point guards are bringing different things to the team)

EDIT: BTW, I don't belive in either, OR's, I think its combination of all things. I do think Casey has adjusted his coaching, and I do think that both point guards bring different styles. I also think that Lowry's faults are correctable, but unfortunately, they are up to him to address. I am banking he can do that. Everyone has shown adjustment, it would by silly to think Lowry can't do so as well.
                There is no doubt Lowry was guilty of ridiculous hero-ball that led to a few close loses... no question in my mind. But I find it hard to believe he hasn't noticed the change in team play the last 7 games. I also find it hard to believe he is unable to adapt.

I think Casey's style has undoubtedly changed in the last 7 games. The culmination of the road trip in Portland coincided with the 2 injuries to Lowry and Bargnani which was the absolute breaking point or bottom of the barrel - however you want to look at it.

Comment

I am hoping everyone on the team is adjusting, including Casey.

My intention for that point was to deflect the full blame from Casey, which was what we heard earlier on in the season. (I really like him as a coach for this young team)

I also am finding hard to gloss over the fact that Jose did not start winning, until Andrea was off the floor which in turn brought some much needed banging from the PF position. Anderson at SF is also a factor that should not be ignored.
                  Last edited by BasketballCrush; Fri Dec 28, 2012, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Great post!!!

Comment

BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
                      ...I also am finding hard to gloss over the fact that Jose did not start winning, until Andrea was off the floor which in turn brought some much needed banging from the PF position...
                      As craiger has repeatedly, and most eloquently argued. The teams winning streak had more to do with no AB than no KL.

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                        I've never understood the argument that aa great point guard speeds up development. What it does is get your guys easy looks that a lessser point won't get you, which artificially inflates your player's value. It is certainly good to have a guy like that for winning games but I think it actually slows down development because everything get's spoonfed to your guys. I think a scoring point guard gives just as much oppurtunity.

Calderon can be just as much of a mentor on the bench. Lowry's so called "attitude" has not made itself evident since he arrived here, he seems very competitive and hungry, but that is the sort of player you want your youth around.

Lowry will be the starter by the end of the season, he is both a better player and a better fit for the team.
                        I don't think you can under value the mindset of players when it comes to their offense. Giving players easy opportunity to score is detrimental to their development? Seriously? No sense here at all. What is detrimental to their development is asking them to do all the dirty work on D and then never feeding them the ball and looking for you own shot all the time. How long do you think guys will continue to battle for their "leader" if he is the one taking shots from 10 feet behind the arc with 20 seconds left on the shot clock? Lowry's attitude has been more than evident since his arrival and I like his attitude as long as he can back it up with smart ball on both ends of the court.

I would much rather have as many guys on the team contributing to the offense on a nightly basis than rely on one guy for 30 points every night. This has been the case for the last 6 or 7 games and I think it shows in the level of engagemement by the players on both ends helping each other out.

Comment

A welcome return!

One game but it clearly shows he has what it takes to perform individually without sacrificing team success.

Bargnani also showed what he can do as well in a short time. The question now becomes one of does the desire and consistency exist? I'm voting yes.

Comment

To say that the teams turnaround and Calderon starting is mere coincidence is a little unfair to him IMO. I don't blame Lowry for the earlier losses but I won't take away any credit from Calderon for the wins either. While Lowry is a very talented player, arguably the most talented Raptor, he is yet to form a chemistry with his team mates. For most of his first season, he has been injured. This has prevented him from building any kind of chemistry with his team mates. To make things worse Casey was completely lost in the first few games.

The one area in which Jose can match with the best PG's is his ability to run an offence. This is largely because of his experience. While Lowry is a very good player, he is a little behind Jose in this department. He will get better and may be better than Jose some day, at this time though Jose is the better distributor. Plus being the older Raptor helps too.
                            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

lowry def showed his ability to run a team tonight.. as a backup.. i really think he paid attention and not only learned from jose but got excited to show what he can do to be a part of the team game we been playing..

time will tell tho.. i think he can do it

Comment

One game, but loved how he was able to adjust throughout the game, depending on the tempo and style being played during the time.

17 points, 8 assists off the bench? In just over 20 minutes? Also, Coach and Lowry have been saying he's (Kyle) doing conditioning to stay a bit prepared (Coach Casey did mention he was a little winded), so I wouldn't be surprised - nor would I mind - him returning to the starting lineup.

Calderon has been great throughout this great stretch of basketball though, true professional, and deserves all the credit. He's been an impact the last couple weeks.
                                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                                X