Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: agree or disagree?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default agree or disagree?

kyle lowry should be able to do whatever he wants 70% of the time. Casey can run his crappy plays the other 30.

His playcalling is way too predictable/ineffective with kyle lowry at point guard, and ball stoppers like demar and rudy at the wings.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nba 2K has better play calls than Dwayne Casey
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

wow guys chill out really.

I don't want to defend Casey, but... We just started the season! Few more games and film sessions can change a lot for both - players and coaches.

We don't even have true rotation and you guys r getting mad on Casey because he's running too predictable runs. Just chill out and enjoy how we suck.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote rocwell wrote: View Post
    wow guys chill out really.

I don't want to defend Casey, but... We just started the season! Few more games and film sessions can change a lot for both - players and coaches.

We don't even have true rotation and you guys r getting mad on Casey because he's running too predictable runs. Just chill out and enjoy how we suck.
    I agree in theory.

It's just extremely disappointing not only that Casey seems to be getting outcoached, but that the same problems he's struggled with since the start of last year are evident....Uncertain rotations, poor execution, predictable offense, an inexplicable attraction to small-ball (for a D-first guy), a lack of trust in his young players....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote akashsingh wrote: View Post
    kyle lowry should be able to do whatever he wants 70% of the time. Casey can run his crappy plays the other 30.

His playcalling is way too predictable/ineffective with kyle lowry at point guard, and ball stoppers like demar and rudy at the wings.
    I also disagree with this though. Lowry has not shown the ability to be the offensive leader of a team, to be a Nash, Paul or Rondo-like PG who can basically be a coach on the floor and not need to look over at playcalls.

Casey needs to have a very structured offensive approach with Lowry, who we've seen kill a team's flow by going into me-first mode, so playcalling is good. It's just a problem when you only have a handful of plays you run for 48 minutes.

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont forget, turnovers after a timeout. Happened twice against Boston and 2-3 times last night.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

7. Like white men can't jump liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Dont forget, turnovers after a timeout. Happened twice against Boston and 2-3 times last night.
    And not just turnovers. What really upsets me is how poor their execution is every time out of timeouts. Not only do they turn it over too much, but far too often it results in a very poor shot. It's really rare that they call a timeout, come back into the game, and get an easy bucket. At best, and still rarely, they get a bad shot that goes down and clearly didn't require a timeout to be drawn up.

9. Like KazanTheMan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Catch 22.

Give an ear-piece to Lowry and a head-set to Sloan?

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    And not just turnovers. What really upsets me is how poor their execution is every time out of timeouts. Not only do they turn it over too much, but far too often it results in a very poor shot. It's really rare that they call a timeout, come back into the game, and get an easy bucket. At best, and still rarely, they get a bad shot that goes down and clearly didn't require a timeout to be drawn up.
    The out-of-bounds plays in general are just awful. Very little movement, usually takes the full 5 seconds to get it in.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    The out-of-bounds plays in general are just awful. Very little movement, usually takes the full 5 seconds to get it in.
    Yeah, you're right, it's definitely not limited to just coming out of timeouts. It just infuriates me more in that situation, probably because I expect better than the same ol garbage.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

My take is that Lowry probably already has 70% control of running the point. The 30% belongs to Casey's specifics like the plays coming out of timeouts and other suggested adjustments.....which do not seem to include running more PnRs or lobbing the ball into the post to JV or Gay or DD.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I also disagree with this though. Lowry has not shown the ability to be the offensive leader of a team, to be a Nash, Paul or Rondo-like PG who can basically be a coach on the floor and not need to look over at playcalls.

Casey needs to have a very structured offensive approach with Lowry, who we've seen kill a team's flow by going into me-first mode, so playcalling is good. It's just a problem when you only have a handful of plays you run for 48 minutes.
    Kyle Lowry is never going to play like those pg you listed. But that doesn't mean he can't be effective in his own way. I just see the predictable way we are playing now, and think the alternative of Kyle calling his own plays is exponentially better. Plus Casey calling his own plays some times will limit the turnovers and shots too early in the clock that come with the unpredictability, and pushing the ball the way lowry does.

This is the type of game I'd like to see from him:

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

or this:

Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys, you realize that Casey is barely calling any plays. And if a player doesn't pass, turns the ball over or misses an open shot that's Casey's fault? The players have a game plan going into the game and it's their job to execute, if the game plan isn't working he makes adjustments. You can criticize him for being too lax, probably. And the b-ball IQ on this team isn't exactly high enough to run a lot of complicated movement offense.
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

The thing about Lowry is that he's a decent player in most respects but he's not a solid floor general, and the Raps need someone directing their offense or it just turns into iso-ball, and iso-ball isn't a winning formula for us (and it's boring as shit to watch).

There's a reason the team was playing best when Landry was directing the flow of offense: he was helping give the team structure and planning on offense because he can read the floor well, much in the way a playmaking PG can. When Landry is dictating the offense it almost feels like Jose calling plays again, and Jose was a master at running the offense for Toronto.

Honestly, if we traded Gay away for nothing and started Landry at the three and let him run the offense, I suspect we'd have a better offensive team.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Landry Fields is Doug Christie 2.0. But seriously if you think about it, no one in the starting group comes out as a "smart" player. They all play a pick up style game, except for JV. Not much ball movement and too much ISO ball
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote akashsingh wrote: View Post
    Casey's response to this thread?

Bottom line is this is the perfect system for him,Ē Casey said. ďHeís our quarterback and he has the freedom to run different plays and direct based on what he sees on the court. He can identify the matchups and go wherever he needs to go with the ball on that end of the floor. When he doesnít do that heíll defer to me and weíll get together during time outs and evaluate whatís going on in dead ball situations and things like that and make our adjustments. But heís doing an excellent job on the floor being a quarterback and understanding who needs touches and when they need them. Heís doing a heck of a job defensively and hawking the ball the way he has. But yes, the system fits him tremendously.
    Source

So according to Casey, he's actually doing what you want him to do. Does that change your opinion at all? If what Casey is saying is true then they need to pump the breaks and get SOMEONE to call plays... that work.
    Last edited by ezz_bee; Sun Nov 3rd, 2013 at 05:37 AM.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Ezz_bee for not being like me and actually bringing the proof of what I was talking about. If people were watching the games they could tell, that both Lowry and DJ had control of the offense and they'd confer with Casey every once in awhile.

Also, I think Amir has a pretty high b-ball IQ and Lowry is ok 75% of the time, but has his brain farts every once in-awhile. Demar is that kid who doesn't get things as fast some people, but studies his ass-off to get there. Valanciunas is like Demar, but picking things up quite a bit faster (actually I don't think he needs to study as much). Gay is that smart kid, who doesn't study. Ross is a slower version of Demar and Fields went to Stanford ('nuff said).

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

With the athletes we have on this team, it doesn't make sense to slow down and run half court sets,which we are terrible at. I'd like to see us get out and run more often than not. This is Casey's fault, in an interview I saw this summer, he specifically said "we cannot go out and run off every miss". If kyle lowry isn't smart enough to realize he needs to pick up the tempo, than it is partly his fault too. look at kevin durant and russel westbrook for goodness sakes, you don't see them running halfcourt sets when they don't need to.

Post Thanks / Like

Aka you are right, but the reason why we aren't is pretty obvious and that is turnovers. Lowry isn't Calderon and those cross court passes too often get intercepted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information