Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 161

Thread: Raptors vs. Blazers, January 2nd, 2013, #Redemption

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,352
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Raptors vs. Blazers, January 2nd, 2013, #Redemption

    I hope Raptor players have this game circled on their calendar. Last time they played was rock bottom for Toronto, here is a refresher:

    PORTLAND, Ore. -- Injuries, an ejection and a dubious record.

    The Portland Trail Blazers' 92-74 victory over the Toronto Raptors on Monday night had a little of everything.

    Both sides were beset by injuries, with Portland missing starters Wesley Matthews and Nicolas Batum, and Toronto losing starters Andrea Bargnani and Kyle Lowry during the game.

    Then Toronto's Amir Johnson punctuated his ejection from the game by throwing his mouthpiece at the official who tossed him.

    And finally, the Blazers went 0-for-20 from 3-point range, an NBA record for futility.

    "I don't want to break records like that," said Portland star LaMarcus Aldridge, who had 30 points and 12 rebounds.

    J.J. Hickson added 16 points and 11 boards for the Blazers, who led by as many as 18 points in the second half. DeMar DeRozan had 20 points for the Raptors, who have dropped eight straight games against Portland.

    But the game was more about who didn't play -- or had to leave.

    The Raptors lost Johnson when he was ejected with 5:01 left in the third quarter. He had words with referee David Jones while trying to take the ball from him following a Portland free throw. After Johnson was ejected, he threw his mouthpiece at Jones, and fellow players had to restrain him before he was escorted from the floor.

    Johnson said that before free throws, he has a habit of rubbing the ball and then passing it to the ref.

    "I guess the ref didn't let me have the ball so we kind of got into a tug of war," he said. "No words were really said and he rejected me out of the game and I kind of lost my cool from there."

    Raptors coach Dwane Casey said Johnson's actions were completely out of character.

    "I don't know what happened with Amir. He kind of lost his mind there for a little bit," the coach said. "I told him we can't have that on a night where we're short-handed and we're in a situation where we're scrambling. We just gotta have more discipline than that."

    Johnson agreed that it was unusual for him to act out.

    "My teammates know me, my parents know me. ... I never lose my cool. I never said anything to a ref or got mad," he said. "The only techs I've gotten were for hanging on the rim or slapping the backboard."

    Johnson, who is in his eighth NBA season, is likely looking at a fine from the league for the incident. Following the game, however, he was contrite.

    "I think it was just really childish. It was something that didn't need to happen," Johnson said. "I lost my cool and I apologize on my part."

    Johnson, a reserve forward/center, is averaging 7.3 points and 5.4 rebounds per game this season. He finished the game with four points and four rebounds in just more than 10 minutes.

    Batum was shelved because of back pain that hampered him in Portland's 99-80 home loss to Sacramento on Saturday, while Matthews was out because he strained his left hip in the fourth quarter against the Kings. Matthews tried to drive to the basket during warm-ups and limped off to the locker room, wincing.

    Matthews missed a game for the first time in his four-year NBA career. He had played in 250 straight games, second most among active players behind Oklahoma City's Russell Westbrook.

    To replace Matthews and Batum, the Blazers started Sasha Pavlovic and rookie Victor Claver.

    "It felt great to know we could be down a couple of players and still get the win," Hickson said. "We knew we were going to have to play extra hard because we were short-handed, but guys stepped up and we got the win."

    The Raptors were hurt late in the first quarter when Bargnani went to the locker room after falling awkwardly on a dunk. The Raptors said later that X-rays on his elbow were negative, but he did not return.

    "He landed on his elbow and lost feeling in his hand," Casey said. "We'll have to wait and see tomorrow how it is."

    Toronto already was without Linas Kleiza, who has a sore right knee from Sunday night's 102-83 loss to the Los Angeles Clippers.

    The Blazers pulled ahead 30-24 in the second quarter on Pavlovic's running hook, but the Raptors battled back and tied it at 38 on Ed Davis' putback.

    Portland led 44-40 at the break and extended the lead with a 9-0 run capped by Aldridge's hook shot and free throw that made it 58-46 midway through the third quarter.

    Lowry did not play in the second half after he hurt his right shoulder in a fall.

    "Somebody grabbed his arm and he hit the floor and he just felt he had a knot in his back," Casey said.

    Pavlovic's fast-break layup put Portland up 79-68, and Hickson extended the lead to 83-68 with an alley-oop dunk from Nolan Smith.

    Pavlovic finished 10 points, seven rebounds and five assists in his first start of the season.

    "I thought Sasha Pavlovic played a terrific game -- defensively more than anything else, but he played heavy minutes and I though he did a terrific job defensively and offensively. Obviously, LaMarcus did everything we needed from him," Blazers coach Terry Stotts said. "I thought it was a really good team win. We got a lot of good effort from a lot of people."

    Game notes

    Stotts and Casey are close friends, having worked together with the Seattle SuperSonics and the Dallas Mavericks. Casey said their familiarity doesn't mean the two aren't competitive. "When we go out on the floor, it's like playing your brother. You want to beat him," Casey said. ... It was Aldridge's fourth straight double-double and seventh of the season. ... The Raptors' 74 points are the fewest they've ever scored against the Blazers.

    http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?id=400278023
    Since this game, Raps have gone 7-2 and zero mouthpieces have been thrown at officials.

    Can't wait!
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,650
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    ...Since this game, Raps have gone 7-2 and zero mouthpieces have been thrown at officials....
    I'm hoping Amir comes out with head and wrist bands, so he's loaded with ammo. :-)

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    508
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This will be the second game of a back to back for the blazers so that will be an added advantage for the Raps.Who is going to defend Lamarcus Aldridge is a question that concerns me dude is really long and tends to go off against smaller players.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    really waiting for this game Aldridge will have to contend with Davis/Amir/Gray and not getting literally anything he wants from Bargnani guarding him. Lets hope Lilard puts together another soft game, I expect Fields to shine in that this game.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,352
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    really waiting for this game Aldridge will have to contend with Davis/Amir/Gray and not getting literally anything he wants from Bargnani guarding him. Lets hope Lilard puts together another soft game, I expect Fields to shine in that this game.
    I'm not sure I agree with the difficulty Aldridge can expect.

    Nicholson just ate Davis last game vs. ORL.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    847
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with the difficulty Aldridge can expect.

    Nicholson just ate Davis last game vs. ORL.
    could it have been fatigue? that was davis's first back to back with significant minutes if I'm not mistaken. His defense of nicholson was unacceptable none the less.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,352
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote akashsingh wrote: View Post
    could it have been fatigue? that was davis's first back to back with significant minutes if I'm not mistaken. His defense of nicholson was unacceptable none the less.
    I hope it was something like that.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Rookie Beagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    188
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I just googled it and it seems no one notable has ever thrown a mouthpiece at an official before. Now, that's COOOOL! And just a one-game suspension for making history. I'm in the Amir fan club now. I suppose I always was though. He's the right ventricle of this club.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Bring your mouth guards.,. first blown call let the refs have it.

    (I am not advocating hitting the officials (aim for the court), but a few scattered mouth guards on the court floor would be a good protest)
    Last edited by BasketballCrush; Mon Dec 31st, 2012 at 04:05 PM.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Beagle wrote: View Post
    I just googled it and it seems no one notable has ever thrown a mouthpiece at an official before. Now, that's COOOOL! And just a one-game suspension for making history. I'm in the Amir fan club now. I suppose I always was though. He's the right ventricle of this club.
    Haslem already did it.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    847
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
    Bring your mouth guards.,. first blown call let the refs have it.

    (I am not advocating hitting the officials (aim for the court), but a few scattered mouth guards on the court floor would be a good protest)
    sorry, my brain would stop me from acting like an animal, no offense.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My brain has never stopped me from being one. My hormonal urges for sex and war are far greater than my puny mind.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Just to expend on the above point, without sounding like a dick.


    I feel that it wasn't all that long ago a mere thousands of years, for some of us even less, when we raped and killed as a course of survival. This instinct, will not just disappear from human evolution in a few thousands of years. We actually selected for it for hundreds of thousands of years.

    The way this instinct materializes itself in today's society is sports. Something in our male psyche, makes us want to get together with others from our city and root against another city. Almost as if its a symbolic gesture of war. We live vicariously through these mercenaries we call athletes. They satisfy the craving we have for competition, dominance and victory.

    Sport is just a way to satisfy our faulty wiring that will take countless of generations to undo. (its still better than war)



    I probably would not throw a mouth guard, but for some reason I would smile if I saw many others throw them, I am just being honest with you. (I was just having fun with the mouth guard idea, the edit in parentheses showed my remorse, i know better - but, truth be told, we are all animals, Amir, the fans, I don't know, maybe if I had a mouth guard on me I could of been pissed enough to throw it... hard to say. )
    Last edited by BasketballCrush; Mon Dec 31st, 2012 at 05:28 PM.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,079
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    +1 for honesty and evolutionary logic

    our hardest job in becoming a civilized civilization is resisting our evolutionary habits.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North York, ON
    Posts
    866
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Blazers just beat NY, hopefully they're spent
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    2,244
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
    Just to expend on the above point, without sounding like a dick.


    I feel that it wasn't all that long ago a mere thousands of years, for some of us even less, when we raped and killed as a course of survival. This instinct, will not just disappear from human evolution in a few thousands of years. We actually selected for it for hundreds of thousands of years.

    The way this instinct materializes itself in today's society is sports. Something in our male psyche, makes us want to get together with others from our city and root against another city. Almost as if its a symbolic gesture of war. We live vicariously through these mercenaries we call athletes. They satisfy the craving we have for competition, dominance and victory.

    Sport is just a way to satisfy our faulty wiring that will take countless of generations to undo. (its still better than war)



    I probably would not throw a mouth guard, but for some reason I would smile if I saw many others throw them, I am just being honest with you. (I was just having fun with the mouth guard idea, the edit in parentheses showed my remorse, i know better - but, truth be told, we are all animals, Amir, the fans, I don't know, maybe if I had a mouth guard on me I could of been pissed enough to throw it... hard to say. )
    +1. great perspective

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic All-Star Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,096
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
    Just to expend on the above point, without sounding like a dick.


    I feel that it wasn't all that long ago a mere thousands of years, for some of us even less, when we raped and killed as a course of survival. This instinct, will not just disappear from human evolution in a few thousands of years. We actually selected for it for hundreds of thousands of years.

    The way this instinct materializes itself in today's society is sports. Something in our male psyche, makes us want to get together with others from our city and root against another city. Almost as if its a symbolic gesture of war. We live vicariously through these mercenaries we call athletes. They satisfy the craving we have for competition, dominance and victory.

    Sport is just a way to satisfy our faulty wiring that will take countless of generations to undo. (its still better than war)



    I probably would not throw a mouth guard, but for some reason I would smile if I saw many others throw them, I am just being honest with you. (I was just having fun with the mouth guard idea, the edit in parentheses showed my remorse, i know better - but, truth be told, we are all animals, Amir, the fans, I don't know, maybe if I had a mouth guard on me I could of been pissed enough to throw it... hard to say. )
    nice. I've always thought about this but could never quite put it in words.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    466
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well thought out BasketballCrush.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    At some point I needed to rationalize all the time wasted. Watching others play a game does not put money on the table for most of us, but it does seem to satisfy this vicarious instinct for competition that idles within us...

    I told an ex once, that sports, was just a soap opera for men, but with grunts and high fives. She thought it was a brilliant and I got laid.


    ...but enough of the deep shit. It's revenge time. I hope the anger amongst Raptor players with what happened last meeting is starting to burn. This game I only want to see mouth guards flying from the other team, whether it be precipitated by an elbow, frustration, its all the same to me, as long as we get the win.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,352
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
    At some point I needed to rationalize all the time wasted. Watching others play a game does not put money on the table for most of us, but it does seem to satisfy this vicarious instinct for competition that idles within us...

    I told an ex once, that sports, was just a soap opera for men, but with grunts and high fives. She thought it was a brilliant and I got laid.


    ...but enough of the deep shit. It's revenge time. I hope the anger amongst Raptor players with what happened last meeting is starting to burn. This game I only want to see mouth guards flying from the other team, whether it be precipitated by an elbow, frustration, its all the same to me, as long as we get the win.
    Numerous parallels to religion exist as well.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •