Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DeRozan is the 2nd best SG in the East

Hybrid View

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DeRozan is the 2nd best SG in the East

Michael Wallace ‏@WallaceNBA_ESPN

More I see him, more I'm convinced DeRozan is quietly 2nd-best SG in the East. He just doesn't get much attn in Toronto
    Come at me

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Michael Wallace respected source?
    #FREE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RandomGuy wrote: View Post
    Is Michael Wallace respected source?
    Respected is questionable, I honestly don't know the answer.

But he does give his views on the largest NBA/sports platform in the United States: ESPN.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd say he's at least top 5 in the east and there is an argument for top 2. Jrue Holiday and Wade are both up there with him, but that position is very weak in the east. He needs to shoot a better percentage and get his efficiency up, but I can see where he's coming from.

Why does it matter if he's a respected source? He's giving an opinion and is listened to by a lot of people, this isn't a news story.

Edit: Holiday is a point guard....So no, in terms of pure shooting guards, I'd say Demar is top two. Now if you talk about wings he moves down the list with Lebron, Paul George, and George Hill all being in there as well.
    Last edited by hateslosing; Sun Dec 30th, 2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: stupid
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

In terms of PER, for what its worth, Wade, Lou Willams, Jordan Crawford, Ben Gordon, Gerald Henderson, Ray Allen, JR Smith and JJ Redick are ahead of Demar - making him 9th. Monte Ellis is listed as a PG, but really a SG - hes ahead of DD too. Joe Johnson is below, but I think universally thought of as a pretty good player (notwithstanding the contract)
    Not that PER is the be all and end all .. but Id say a couple of those guys are for sure below DD (Henderson, Reddick, Allen (although hes a specialized player) - but I think its reasonable to say DD is top 5 .. top 2 you can twist the argument, but a little tougher ..
    Last edited by mountio; Sun Dec 30th, 2012 at 12:30 PM. Reason: missed Ellis and JJ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote mountio wrote: View Post
    In terms of PER, for what its worth, Wade, Lou Willams, Jordan Crawford, Ben Gordon, Gerald Henderson, Ray Allen, JR Smith and JJ Redick are ahead of Demar - making him 9th. Monte Ellis is listed as a PG, but really a SG - hes ahead of DD too. Joe Johnson is below, but I think universally thought of as a pretty good player (notwithstanding the contract)
    Not that PER is the be all and end all .. but Id say a couple of those guys are for sure below DD (Henderson, Reddick, Allen (although hes a specialized player) - but I think its reasonable to say DD is top 5 .. top 2 you can twist the argument, but a little tougher ..
    Nice post. I think Top 5 is absolutely a bit more fair and reasonable.

While the argument could be made for #2, the case against it is a little stronger.
    Regardless, Demar is still VERY young and showing tremendous progess this year; and is sure to only improve for the next several seasons.
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. Thatís nice." Terrence Ross

Raptors Republic Starter connected's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Also Ray Allen though he's getting older and has taken a back seat in Miami

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    I'd say he's at least top 5 in the east and there is an argument for top 2. Jrue Holiday and Wade are both up there with him, but that position is very weak in the east. He needs to shoot a better percentage and get his efficiency up, but I can see where he's coming from.

Why does it matter if he's a respected source? He's giving an opinion and is listened to by a lot of people, this isn't a news story.

Edit: Holiday is a point guard....So no, in terms of pure shooting guards, I'd say Demar is top two. Now if you talk about wings he moves down the list with Lebron, Paul George, and George Hill all being in there as well.
    I'm just curious.
    Thank you Matt.
    #FREE

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was really down on Demar at the start of the season, but he's changing my opinion. So much of his game - 3pt%, fg%, rebounding, defence, passing, creating off the dribble - has improved this year.

And he's only 23! He could be very, very good in a few years.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Many 2s in the East that lets say don't spend much time at SF don't have a lot of other strong skills beyond shooting. Wade has been the best SG in the east for awhile, largely because he would do so many things on the floor beyond buckets. Really, if I had to classify the 2s in the east this year, trying to discount guys who pay I'd think of as SF or PG, I think it'd go like this:
    -Wade
    -Ellis
    -George
    -Demar
    *Next few: JR Smith, Afflalo, Joe Johnson...JJ is having a shitty year, but normally in the past he would easily be the 2nd or 3rd on this list. So to me, Demar is the 4th or 5th best SG in the East. While Smith can light it up, Demar has become quite consistent and reliable this season. Afflalo just can't carry the scoring load, even if he is a great defensive player.

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RandomGuy wrote: View Post
    I'm just curious.
    Thank you Matt.
    I'm confused? I did the edit because I forgot holiday was a point guard. Or is the implication that I'm Matt...cause lol at that.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic Starter connected's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget Joe Johnson and Monta Ellis ... Affalo and J.R. Smith would get a say just because of their two way play (but would rather have DeMar)

Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Its his consistency this year with the rebounding, 4.9 rebounds a game. Paul George and Evan Turner both G/F as well are the only other guys averaging more than him at 7.1 and 6.6 respectively.

Paul George is considered more of a SF, so it makes sense.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

fuck espn.

I've had it up to here with them either
    a) ignoring us

b) trying to discredit our franchise.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote akashsingh wrote: View Post
    fuck espn.

a) ignoring us

accept the little credit they are giving us
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Rookie RobertArchibald's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The 2 spot in the East is weak, but DeMar is playing outstanding basketball. Top 2 is debatable and we all know what opinions are like...whether he's getting credit south of the border or not, he's earned my respect. Hard work is paying off and based on his poise, improved jump shot and versatile offensive game, it appears he's become a real student of the game. Has great athletic gifts but they can only take one so far. Nice to see him come together as a more complete player.

Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote akashsingh wrote: View Post
    fuck espn.

a) ignoring us

How dare they say we have the 2nd best SG in the east.

Raptors Republic Starter albertan_10's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You know if you compare him and Vince for a second (hear me out, I know you're all grumbling ), Vince had all the talent and gifts basically given to him and because f such his drive and longevity are both questionable and he's never turned into tr player we expected (kobeesque)

Now take demar. Nothing was given to him talent-wise and he struggled his first few years in the league. He however shows a much greater drive and diligence to working on his skills. It's interesting to see his rise in the standings of SGs in the east. Hopefully he continues to grow

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tucas wrote: View Post
    How dare they say we have the 2nd best SG in the east.
    lol +1

Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Demar has improved quite a bit this year. I initially wanted him traded, because I thought we could jump a faster moving elevator, not that there was anything wrong with DD, but I wanted a little more grit from the position. However, with his recent play, I am like a deer in the headlights, I think I just want to see more before I decide, I don't feel comfortable making a call either way.
    Last edited by BasketballCrush; Sun Dec 30th, 2012 at 02:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information