Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Bargnani on the way out!

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter RPT23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    229
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Bargnani on the way out!

    (This is like the second time I've posted on this forum, please move to the appropriate subject heading, thanks)

    I'm sure this will make Matt's day even better. Haha... The only concerning part of this article is the note about packaging Lowry in the deal to get a "top-flight player".

    http://network.yardbarker.com/all_sp...moved/12537871
    #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    180
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    music to my ears!

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Rookie Usagi_yo_Jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    108
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hopefully, we get someone decent in return.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Matt52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My days are going well and I'm not going to lie, this does make it better.

    That article is all based on Marc Stein's comment from ESPN Weekend Dime. Any reference to Lowry in the piece is not quoted or attributed to any 'source'. It is pure speculation by Stein. Trading Lowry (who cost the Raps a 1st round pick) is ludicrous. From a basketball perspective, the Raps would be better off to just amnesty Bargnani this summer and use the cap space to lure another player. For the sake of an example, lets use Paul Millsap. Would you rather: trade Lowry-i.e. 1st round pick/Bargnani to Utah for Millsap who may bolt in free agency anyways or would you rather keep Lowry, amnesty Bargnani, throw Bargnani's $$ at Millsap? Keep in mind Millsap can be substituted for any other player.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Starter RPT23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    229
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I agree that including Lowry in any trade scenario when we just gave up a 1st Rd pick to get him is just a complete waste. Though, I'm not sure if amnestying (sp?) Bargnani is the answer. I'd much rather have a trade that includes picks coming back to us. We would have to try to sell Bargnani to mid-lower tier teams I think.

    I hear Jamison isn't happy with his playing time in the Lakers. We could possibly make a trade for him (or Gasol). Would be difficult since Jamison is only getting paid the vet's minimum. I don't think he'll find time here anyway, unless we give up some of our wings.
    #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rexdale
    Posts
    1,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    including Lowry in trades is BC attempting to land a Big Time SF ala Deng/Gay/Iggy/Granger?/JSmoove? someone along those lines.. I doubt BC is stupid enough to include Lowry just to dump Bargs for some scrubs..Dude moved Turkeydoo for a usefull part when everyone said Turk was untradable.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    805
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Trading Lowry (who cost the Raps a 1st round pick) is ludicrous. From a basketball perspective, the Raps would be better off to just amnesty Bargnani this summer and use the cap space to lure another player. For the sake of an example, lets use Paul Millsap. Would you rather: trade Lowry-i.e. 1st round pick/Bargnani to Utah for Millsap who may bolt in free agency anyways or would you rather keep Lowry, amnesty Bargnani, throw Bargnani's $$ at Millsap? Keep in mind Millsap can be substituted for any other player.
    IF a trade involving Lowry is being considered, I'll be very surprised if the return does not make up for what he costed. Millsap wouldn't be acquired if he doesn't sign an extension. Just for example.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    How about Bargnani for Royce White and a player or draft pick. (Not sure what it would take to make salaries match)

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,491
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hopkinzo wrote: View Post
    How about Bargnani for Royce White and a player or draft pick. (Not sure what it would take to make salaries match)
    Major problems with him and the D-League situation lately with his anxiety...maybe don't want to put up with him.
    Writer for RaptorsWatch.com

    Twitter - @thekid_it

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hopkinzo wrote: View Post
    How about Bargnani for Royce White and a player or draft pick. (Not sure what it would take to make salaries match)
    Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    Major problems with him and the D-League situation lately with his anxiety...maybe don't want to put up with him.
    give us white, t.jones and this years first rounder and done in a second. immediately suspend royce white for conduct detrimental to the team.
    **i'm guessing this hasn't been done yet because the team might feel he has a discrimination suit against them if they do so might not be an option. however to me white signing the contract leads me to believe he knew exactly what he was getting into and should have to man up.
    For The Win

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hopkinzo wrote: View Post
    How about Bargnani for Royce White and a player or draft pick. (Not sure what it would take to make salaries match)
    Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    Major problems with him and the D-League situation lately with his anxiety...maybe don't want to put up with him.
    give us white, t.jones and this years first rounder and done in a second. immediately suspend royce white for conduct detrimental to the team.
    **i'm guessing this hasn't been done yet because the team might feel he has a discrimination suit against them if they do so might not be an option. however to me white signing the contract leads me to believe he knew exactly what he was getting into and should have to man up.
    For The Win

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,855
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Of course I'd want draft picks and/or expiring contracts but this is Bryan Colangelo we are talking about. When he was the GM in Phoenix he did go out and get additional first round picks, but has *never* done that in Toronto.

    Plus we have a coach that hates playing rookies... I think the most likely situation is that we replace Bargnani with another vet who has 2-3 years left on his contract.

    At this point I'd be happy with a backup center (JV is getting eaten up alive), a stud wing (but that's unlikely) or a starting caliber PF to replace Bargnani and to move Davis back to the second unit.

    Packaging him up with Lowry is insane unless we get a perennial all-star back (a player such as Love, Aldridge, Rondo, etc) which is not happening.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Rookie Checkines's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'd love a Bargnani for a Gallinari trade

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Rookie Phat Farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tdot
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think what Matt is trying to say is that if we could trade Bargnani in a package for Millsap or any other player who would be a free agent in the off season, why wouldn't we just amnesty him and use that cap space to sign said player instead of having to include other players/assets to make the trade work. Which I fully support btw.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Rookie Phat Farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tdot
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Checkines wrote: View Post
    I'd love a Bargnani for a Gallinari trade
    +1

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Matt52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Phat Farmer wrote: View Post
    I think what Matt is trying to say is that if we could trade Bargnani in a package for Millsap or any other player who would be a free agent in the off season, why wouldn't we just amnesty him and use that cap space to sign said player instead of having to include other players/assets to make the trade work. Which I fully support btw.
    Thank you for the translation!

    That is exactly what I was saying.

    It makes no sense to give up any assets to trade Bargnani from a BASKETBALL perspective. A financial perspective is a much different story but unless the finances relate to a basketball advantage, I don't care if MLSE swallows $23M on Bargnani.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    175
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Id have no problem with Bargs amnestied accept for the fact that if there are possible trades out there that give us a decent return then i wouldnt. The amnesty is a trade chip and by that i mean we could trade for a bad contract and a high pick packaged together and would be able to get rid of the over paid player. It gives us more "flexibility." Im not saying it would be a bad idea to use on Bargs, but it sounds like there is some interest around the league in him. My realistic hope is to get a 2014 first round pick and hopefully a role bench PF or C, because if there was another front court injury we could be in a bit of trouble.

    A side note, imo 2014 mid to late (14-20ish) pick is just as good as a late lottery in 2013...

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Matt52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Burnit482 wrote: View Post
    Id have no problem with Bargs amnestied accept for the fact that if there are possible trades out there that give us a decent return then i wouldnt. The amnesty is a trade chip and by that i mean we could trade for a bad contract and a high pick packaged together and would be able to get rid of the over paid player. It gives us more "flexibility." Im not saying it would be a bad idea to use on Bargs, but it sounds like there is some interest around the league in him. My realistic hope is to get a 2014 first round pick and hopefully a role bench PF or C, because if there was another front court injury we could be in a bit of trouble.

    A side note, imo 2014 mid to late (14-20ish) pick is just as good as a late lottery in 2013...
    Bold: Yes, clearly this is a much better alternative. The premise of amnesty discussion was no such deal was available. Apologies if that was not clear.

    Underlined: That is not how the amnesty works. Teams can only use the amnesty on players that were under contract prior to the lockout. You cannot trade for a player and use the amnesty on him. You can buy him out but he'll still count towards your cap and you'll still have to pay him. Only players Raps can use amnesty on are Bargnani, Kleiza, and Amir.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,051
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In an ideal world amnestying Bargs would be the way to go, but the bar for free agents looking Toronto's way is set at Hedo. If we can finish this season strong you may get a couple other free agents looking our way, but realistically a player like Milsap will probably want to play for a winning team first and then an American team in the same situation as the Raptors second.

    I'd be more than happy if BC can actually court a prime free agent, but seeing as how he hasn't been able to do that in the years he's been here my vote has to go for the trade route. BC can clear all the cap space in the world, but it's not going to mean anything if you can attract players.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Matt52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,770
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    In an ideal world amnestying Bargs would be the way to go, but the bar for free agents looking Toronto's way is set at Hedo. If we can finish this season strong you may get a couple other free agents looking our way, but realistically a player like Milsap will probably want to play for a winning team first and then an American team in the same situation as the Raptors second.

    I'd be more than happy if BC can actually court a prime free agent, but seeing as how he hasn't been able to do that in the years he's been here my vote has to go for the trade route. BC can clear all the cap space in the world, but it's not going to mean anything if you can attract players.
    Approaching the new super luxury tax world, it has never been more true that salary cap space can be used for more than free agents. Raps can take on significant salary in a trade.

    Now I've been saying this for the better part of 2 years and it has proved to be an exercise in futility so who is to say that will not continue.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •