Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't look now, the Raps are 3.5 games out of 8th!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't look now, the Raps are 3.5 games out of 8th!

Who would've thought that 3 weeks ago? Ya never know!!
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

I love your optimism, but they are 9 games back from .500. That's still a huge hill to climb. Boston who is in 8th is two games back from .500 which means we would have to win our next 7 games to have a similar record percentage wise (assuming Boston keeps their pace).

It sure would be a hell of a season if they got into the playoffs.. although a part of me would prefer that they just miss it so that they can give that pick to OKC.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
      I love your optimism, but they are 9 games back from .500. That's still a huge hill to climb. Boston who is in 8th is two games back from .500 which means we would have to win our next 7 games to have a similar record percentage wise (assuming Boston keeps their pace).

It sure would be a hell of a season if they got into the playoffs.. although a part of me would prefer that they just miss it so that they can give that pick to OKC.
      I've never understood that philosophy about hoping your favorite team fails. Who cares about the damn pick? If the Raptors are going where we want them to they shouldn't have any top 10 picks in the next couple years anyways, let's worry more about progress and less about which year we give our pick away.
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
        I've never understood that philosophy about hoping your favorite team fails. Who cares about the damn pick? If the Raptors are going where we want them to they shouldn't have any top 10 picks in the next couple years anyways, let's worry more about progress and less about which year we give our pick away.

Comment

igiving away pick right now will open up more possibilitirs for trades involving picks. which means addition of more talent. a better team than we have now.

Comment

Definitely did not see this coming a couple of weeks ago!

I'm not keeping my hopes up though. They're trying to catch the BOSTON CELTICS. I'm sure that team will find a way to turn thigns around.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

Best we can hope for is 9th spot.

Make a run for it, be a winning team, but fall just short.

Comment

Yeah this is a great mindset and stuff, but how great were those crucial, super important, franchise-saving, culture-changing wins late in the season last year, eh? Really paid off for us, put us in a great position.
                Last edited by Sig; Mon Dec 31, 2012, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Well if you are being sarcastic, Terrence Ross is over achieving IMO right now. I bet he'll be better than Barnes in the long run.

Comment

Sig wrote: View Post
                    Yeah this is a great mindset and stuff, but how great were those crucial, super important, franchise-saving, culture-changing wins late in the season last year, eh? Really paid off for us, put us in a great position.
                    You thought if we had tanked we would be champions by now? I think Ross going to be a fine player at the very least and expect him to outperform some of those drafted higher like Beal, Waiters, Barnes, Robinson.

Comment

Ross is definitely a fine player. I have nothing against him at all and I am very glad that we have him on this team.

But you have to understand, "pride" and "nobility" do not exist in professional sports. It is a business, and more importantly it is a never-ending competition against your enemies. Don't believe this? Look at flopping, constant bickering for calls, hard unnecessary fouls, PEDs, illegal player tryouts, inter player collaborations/scheming (Lebron), Hack-A-______ing, illegal defense, etc.

These are all things that are used as a "shortcut" or "cheat" to win. Smart teams and players do anything and everything they possibly can, to win the game, or in this case; make the team better. Who cares if it's not noble or respectful to tank, it is most definitely a better alternative than sucking for 10 years. Nobody cares, even David Stern doesn't care. There's even an actual video of the '85 lottery showing it was rigged for the Knicks as clear as day! Just a business....

No, we wouldn't be champions in one year of tanking. But we'd be on the right track for it. Especially if we won that #1 pick. How good does Terrence Ross sound compared to Anthony Davis?

But oh yeah, changing the culture and stuff!

Comment

Lets see how you would feel if the Raptors had serious injuries next season to key players and end the year with 3th worst record and pick 5th in a strong wing draft class.

I'd much rather finish the year strong and get the noose from around the neck removed regarding the draft pick.

Comment

I am all for letting the horses run.

Comment

Which is fine if one doesn't want or expect anything more than a mediocre team.

To my knowledge there is only one championship team since atleast 1980 that didn't draft with or use a top 10 pick to add a significant player to their team, and that was the early 2000 Lakers with Shaq and Kobe. There is only 2 Championship teams in that same time frame that didn't use a top 5 pick in a similar fashion, LA and Dallas. (if we look at the Lakers from 2 seperate eras - early 2000 Lakers and the Late 2000 Lakers then technically its 3) Ofcourse those teams also had some of the higest payrolls in the history of the league (especially if we look at what they payed over a long period of time) which helped compensate for their lack of drafting.

But as a quick breakdown:

Heat - Wade #5
                            Dallas - Dirk #9 (for a #6 pick)
                            Late 2000s Lakers - Bynum #10
                            Boston - Pierce #9 + KG/Allen for numerous top 10 picks
                            Spurs - Duncan #1
                            2000s Detroit - Ben Wallace undrafted (traded for Grant Hill #3 pick)
                            Bulls - Jordan #3
                            Houston - Hakeem #1
                            Late 80s Detroit - Thomas #2
                            80s Lakers - Magic #1
                            80s Celtics - McHale #3, Parrish #8 (traded for a first over all pick), Bird #6

The only team I didn't include was the 1982/83 Philadelphia 76ers and that was due to their significant players (Dr J and Moses Malone) being hold overs from the ABA.

Now i admit thats a very simplistic view ignoring numerous potential factors. But if you also broaden it to look at teams that made it to the finals or the conference finals (or some other definition of 'contender') you'll find a very consistent relationship. If a team wants to have a shot of even having a shot at the finals it either needs to:

1) use top picks to draft/trade for stars
                            2) be a top NBA market who willingly throws money around for stars.
                            3) build a once in a generation 2000s Pistons or 1990s Jazz team

Though people claim drafting stars is unreliable, its much more reliable than any other option in Toronto.

Personally I care about the pick. I care about every pick. I care about them alot. But I also want Toronto to have a shot at being more than playoff fodder one day. Thats just me though.

Comment

Who would've thought that 3 weeks ago? Ya never know!!
                              I thought. When many people were in panic mode there were very few of us who remained optimistic and were willing to say so in these forums. We got rocked by a lot of posters. The schedule was brutal to start the season, especially with so many new faces. There is absolutely no way that this roster is as bad as that 4-19 record.

Look, I'm not saying this is a playoff team. In fact I don't think we have a chance of making the playoffs. But I do think that we will be knocking on the door as the 9-10 seed, which has me very excited. I am looking forward to caring about raptors basketball in march.
                              Welp, that sucked.

Comment

Working...
                              X