Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just an article I read on Hoopsworld about Bargnani's trade rumors...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    On your points specifically. #2 is just unlikely. If Bargs does not have much value, how would we net a starting SF, especially Granger? Indiana has both a starting PF and starting PG. They do not really need Bargs off the bench. If they were to give us Granger, it would more likely cost Ed/Amir, Ross and one of our PGs (because either could challenge Hill or be a much better backup than what they've got). I just have a hard time seeing us getting a potential starting SF in any Bargs deal unless it's just an unspectacular veteran role player, or an unproven young player.
    on #3. I generally agree as I'm clearly a fan of the Okafor deal, but it is actually shorter than Bargs' contract. I think the article really does mean taking on long-term salary. In other words, any deal of equal or greater value AND length than Bargs', like Javale McGee's 44 million, 2016 expiring deal.
    You make a good argument there.. I think the most likely scenario where we get a 'bad' contract is one in which the length is longer than Bargnani's.

There are not many players in the league that have contracts longer than 3 years. Here are a few:

Brook Lopez
    Eric Gordon
    David Lee
    Nene
    JaVale McGee
    Danilo Gallinari
    Gerald Wallace
    Thaddeus Young
    Jeff Green
    Mike Conley
    Ryan Anderson
    Taj Gibson
    George Hill
    Arron Afflalo
    Ersan Ilyasova
    Wilson Chandler
    Jamal Crawford
    Courtney Lee

We know that Bryan was interested in Chandler and Ilyasova at one point.

I could see a simple Chandler/Bargnani swap. Denver has a large enough TPE to take on Bargnani's contract so they don't have to give up any other player assets. Denver also has NY's 2014 first round pick.

I would do a deal like that.

Bargnani would probably drive George Karl insane though

*EDIT - realized that Denver's 2014 pick could go to Orlando (either their's or NY's which ever is least desirable).. I say we take the other pick (the one that is more desirable).
    Last edited by planetmars; Tue Jan 1, 2013, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
      I'd be absolutely shocked if the Wiz gave up a first round pick (almost guaranteed to be high lottery) with Okafor for Bargnani. I think as you mention, if a team is giving up a first round pick (especially a lottery pick) its gonna be for a lot more than just losing a 2 year contract.

Then again it is the Wiz and I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Grunfeld is the single worst GM in this league by a mile. So I wouldn't say its impossible.
      There is some minor merit to giving up a pick to get a player like Bargs. If the Wiz don't see immediate help in the draft and don't want to wait 3-4 years to develop someone, they could very well deem it worth giving up a 1st rd pick this year, in a weak draft, and as a bonus shed Okafor's contract. I could actually see him fitting in nicely in Washington. All their major backcourt players are young in Wall, Beal and Crawford, and like to drive and kick. Nene is someone I always thought would fit in well beside Bargs. Add to that Seraphin and Booker bringing energy off the bench, and that's not such a bad roster.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
        You make a good argument there.. I think the most likely scenario where we get a 'bad' contract is one in which the length is longer than Bargnani's.

There are not many players in the league that have contracts longer than 3 years. Here are a few:

Brook Lopez
        Eric Gordon
        David Lee
        Nene
        JaVale McGee
        Danilo Gallinari
        Gerald Wallace
        Thaddeus Young
        Jeff Green
        Mike Conley
        Ryan Anderson
        Taj Gibson
        George Hill
        Arron Afflalo
        Ersan Ilyasova
        Wilson Chandler
        Jamal Crawford
        Courtney Lee

We know that Bryan was interested in Chandler and Ilyasova at one point.

I could see a simple Chandler/Bargnani swap. Denver has a large enough TPE to take on Bargnani's contract so they don't have to give up any other player assets. Denver also has NY's 2014 first round pick.

I would do a deal like that.

Bargnani would probably drive George Karl insane though

*EDIT - realized that Denver's 2014 pick could go to Orlando (either their's or NY's which ever is least desirable).. I say we take the other pick (the one that is more desirable).
        A lot of names...a lot wouldn't be on the block, especially for a guy like Bargs. I can't see Denver pulling that kind of deal. ON paper it's not so bad, but Denver is already a playoff team with some good players. They need a great player to get them over the hump, and I doubt Ujiri, who knows Bargs firsthand, will believe he's the missing piece.
        I could see Jeff Green being available. He's struggled a bit in Boston, and Boston has struggled with a lack of size. We hate on Bargs a lot for rebounding, but he has learned to use his body pretty well at least for man D. I'm sure Boston, with KG and Rondo in the locker room, are one of the only teams who might roll the dice on Bargs thinking they have the leaders to push him...All that said, not sure Jeff Green makes us a much better team, even if he gets his game together. Somehow though, I think if Boston decides to start making deals they might just blow it up. It's obvious they're not contenders at this point.

Comment

There is no way in hell the Knicks would ever trade Chandler for Bargs
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
            There is no way in hell the Knicks would ever trade Chandler for Bargs
            It's Wilson Chandler being talked about.

Comment

keep him as a 6th man , he might be useful there rather then trade him for scrubs
              ya dun noe

Comment

Hassan wrote: View Post
                keep him as a 6th man , he might be useful there rather then trade him for scrubs
                +1

I like the idea of ab coming off the bench. He can play a lot of minutes vs lesser quality players. It's an ideal situation to showcase him. He doesn't play D or even try to rebound or box out, he sits.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  It's Wilson Chandler being talked about.
                  ah. my mistake.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Okafor + 1st rounder for #7?! No matter how weak this year's draft is... no one will give you that!
                    Some people here are delusional!
                    The best case for Raps is amnesty his ass in the off season.

Comment

I have a feeling AB gets traded, then snatches the 6th man of the year award, becomes perennial all-star and an NBA champ.

Comment

omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
                        I have a feeling AB gets traded, then snatches the 6th man of the year award, becomes perennial all-star and an NBA champ.
                        If that happened, honestly, I couldn't be happier for him. I've never wished ill will toward Barg. I have simply just accepted the fact that he will not have that sort of success with Toronto.
                        For whatever reason, its just not going to happen

Comment

vino wrote: View Post
                          Okafor + 1st rounder for #7?! No matter how weak this year's draft is... no one will give you that! Some people here are delusional!

The best case for Raps is amnesty his ass in the off season.
                          Best Case is we have to pay him to walk away from the team? Thats an awfully silly thing to say. Won't go as far as to call you 'delusional' though.

Best Case is we actually get something in return of some value.
                          But maybe thats just me misinterpreting the meaning of 'Best Case'.
                          Last edited by Joey; Wed Jan 2, 2013, 02:40 PM.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                            Best Case is we have to pay him to walk away from the team? Thats an awfully silly thing to say. Won't go as far as to call you 'delusional' though.

Best Case is we actually get something in return of some value.
                            But maybe thats just me misinterpreting the meaning of 'Best Case'.
                            Yeah... I agree; I should not have used "best case" in my original post. Sub with a "proper thing to do"; and as an add on: "since it is highly unlikely any GM will offer anything of value in return". I did mention that I would take a second rounder for him before... I guess this is a more accurate assessment. Thanks for correcting.

Comment

Working...
                            X