Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Colangelo: Bargnani misunderstood

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Colangelo: Bargnani misunderstood

Colangelo, who was a guest of Mike Farwell and Jim Lang on Sportsnet 590 The Fan Wednesday morning, was asked if the Raptors' recent run of success with Bargnani on the shelf had changed his opinion of the Italian forward and the Raptors general manager quickly leapt to his player's defence.

"I think Andrea's a big-time talent," Colangelo said. "I think he's often maligned and then misunderstood and I think he did show what he is capable of doing for this team last year in a pretty big sample size of games, fitting into the defensive system and doing what he needed to do on both ends of the floor."

Colangelo said he wouldn't discuss any trade possibilities surrounding Bargnani (or any other Raptor) but did seem amused by the steady stream of trade rumours that seem to surround his team.

"I'm not going to get into trade speculation on any one particular player," he explained. "I often find it entertaining to see how many people are willing to do that for us and put us into trades and draw foregone conclusions for us but at the end of the day, we need to do what's best for the team."
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/2...drea_bargnani/

Il Mago 4 life

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Optimist: I hope he's doing that to increase his value.

Realist: Shit, he's not lyeing.

Pessimist: Im done with this crap.
    #FREE

Raptors Republic Starter JordanMariam14's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

if we trade bargs, or lowry, or calderon or whoever, could we start ed davis?

Raptors Republic Starter omgsomuchpotential's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

"...but at the end of the day, we need to do what's best for the team."
    Does this mean he's planning to resign?

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
    does this mean he's planning to resign?
    burn
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm really hoping this is all just covering up his trade options. But it still scares the crap out of me.

think he did show what he is capable of doing for this team last year in a pretty big sample size of games, fitting into the defensive system
    13 games. How is that considered a big sample? Especially with 400 or so other games available to compare against. And its not as if he didn't come back after those 13 games and throw together a long string of stinkers which continued into this season.

I pray this is Colangelo talking out of his ass....

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    I'm really hoping this is all just covering up his trade options. But it still scares the crap out of me.

13 games. How is that considered a big sample? Especially with 400 or so other games available to compare against. And its not as if he didn't come back after those 13 games and throw together a long string of stinkers which continued into this season.

Yes, it is. We are in inflate trade value mode. With all the rumours out there that Bargnani is as good as gone I think he is spinning his own story so he can at least start a negotiation with another team saying, "Yeah, that is ridiculous. Not sure where those rumours are coming from. I've been straightforward with how i Feel about Andrea and the value he has to our club." Now the GM on the other line is rolling his eyes and doing a jerk off motion but BC is doing what he has to do.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craiger wrote: View Post

I think what he meant, is that 13 consecutive games is a big enough sample to indicate that he has it wihin him to be that player when focused. The question of course is what will it take to keep him focused for 82 games?

I am pretty sure he will look good initially, when he comes back, just not so sure it will stay that way.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
    if we trade bargs, or lowry, or calderon or whoever, could we start ed davis?
    Start ed davis without any trades. Bargs comes off the bench. If he is going to be traded then he will be on the bench on another team, so may as well get him used to it.

Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

(am i the only one having issues with the edit function on the forum today?)

Also lets not forget that the 13 games that he played like he was special, lead to an injury. Maybe he was pushing himself too hard.

Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Both of them can go
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

"I think Andrea's a big-time talent," Colangelo said. "I think he's often maligned and then misunderstood and I think he did show what he is capable of doing for this team last year in a pretty big sample size of games, fitting into the defensive system and doing what he needed to do on both ends of the floor."

probably took him weeks to come up with that gem, bargnani is becoming harder and harder to sell.

anyways colangelo can say whatever he pleases, I'll reserve my judgement for their actions when this bum returns from injury.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RandomGuy wrote: View Post
    Optimist: I hope he's doing that to increase his value.

Realist: Shit, he's not lyeing.

Pessimist: Im done with this crap.

Depressionist: Bargs comes back. BC pressures Casey to run the bulk of offensive plays through him because he's "Big time talent".

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
    Does this mean he's planning to resign?
    Come Hell or High Water. #No3rdYearOption
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote akashsingh wrote: View Post

probably took him weeks to come up with that gem, bargnani is becoming harder and harder to sell.

anyways colangelo can say whatever he pleases, I'll reserve my judgement for their actions when this bum returns from injury.
    Even the best car salesman cannot sell a shiny, broken Ferrari.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I am actually very tired of whatever spin comes out of Bryan's mouth. Maybe because it is simply always spin.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

seems like a ploy at other gm minds' to me. a quick reminder of what he can do and then the cheese of "if he buys in, on both sides of the floor" hopefully there are a couple gms talking with their coaches about how they feel they can motivate a player like bargs.
    For The Win

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Remember the talk about getting rid of Lowry, while he was on the bench and Jose was playing so well? Then Lowry comes back and plays in a different style and he is suddenly a great and wonderful thing. I am expecting Bargs to come back and play differently. Casey has increased his power within the organization by having a winning team. I believe he can now dictate to AB how he will play or Bargs will ride the pine.

Andrea must have personal pride. I don't think it is possible to be a player at this level of competition without pride. If he wants to play, I think he will have to satisfy the coach with his play. That means the Andrea from last years magic 13 game stretch. If he plays like that, BC may be able to trade him. If he doesn't come back from his injury soon enough, and demonstrate that capability, it may be very hard to move him. I am still extremely conflicted about Andrea. Like the spouse who keeps hoping their alcoholic partner can stay of the booze "this" time. Some alcoholics do manage to stop drinking. Can a seven foot Italian shooter learn to lay defence?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    That means the Andrea from last years magic 13 game stretch. If he plays like that, BC may be able to trade him.
    If he plays like that, why the hell would we trade him?

Bargnani is a catch-22: Some fans want to trade him because he wasn't playing well -> he has to play well in order for us to trade him -> If he plays well we won't (or shouldn't) want to trade him.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote KHD wrote: View Post
    If he plays like that, why the hell would we trade him?

Bargnani is a catch-22: Some fans want to trade him because he wasn't playing well -> he has to play well in order for us to trade him -> If he plays well we won't (or shouldn't) want to trade him.
    The problem is that Bargnani is consistently inconsistent. If he plays well, does that guarantee that he will continue to play well? 7 years have proven (to me anyway) that he will not be able to keep it up.

Thread Information