Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay to debut for Raptors on Sunday [Post #727]

Raptors Republic Superstar BasketballCrush's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

My prediction is that this team will get gutted shortly after they make the Gay trade. Bryan will be fired/let go, and there will be little hope for us until Gay is off the books.

I don't see how what is coming in, is going to make up for what is going out.

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I don't think it solves the issues Memphis is looking to address with a Gay trade. They lack wing depth, shooting, and financial flexibility. Ed and Marion - assuming he picks up his $9M - also count for a little over $12M for next season while addressing none of the needs management has identified as issues.

I do like the trade, fwiw. Just don't think it addresses Memphis' reasons for trading Gay.
    Yeah no one said it was perfect. I think Memphis would still want a pick in that, and the deal could/would probably be expanded to fit the teams needs better. I just really like Dallas as that third team. Dallas also has a Chris Kaman on an 8 million dollar expiring contract who could back up a Marc Gasol very well, and they have Beaubois which the Raptors could take if Memphis did not want to give Wroten.

One thing to criticize about the Memphis-Cleveland deal: as you said, they need wing shooting, depth and financial flexibility, yet they traded away Wayne Ellington, who is a solid wing shooter on a beyond reasonable contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
    My prediction is that this team will get gutted shortly after they make the Gay trade. Bryan will be fired/let go, and there will be little hope for us until Gay is off the books.

I don't see how what is coming in, is going to make up for what is going out.
    You don't seem to be very high on Rudy Gay. Why is that? He was playing at pure all-star level before the shoulder injury. Actually, last season he was playing very well too. Many thought he was an all-star snub.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Red and White wrote: View Post
    Yeah no one said it was perfect. I think Memphis would still want a pick in that, and the deal could/would probably be expanded to fit the teams needs better. I just really like Dallas as that third team. Dallas also has a Chris Kaman on an 8 million dollar expiring contract who could back up a Marc Gasol very well, and they have Beaubois which the Raptors could take if Memphis did not want to give Wroten.

One thing to criticize about the Memphis-Cleveland deal: as you said, they need wing shooting, depth and financial flexibility, yet they traded away Wayne Ellington, who is a solid wing shooter on a beyond reasonable contract.
    Kaman substituted for Marion I could totally see. Unfortunately, Kaman is now injured with a concussion.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

I think people have built a fantasy for themselves that BC is going to keep the trades rolling and dump off bargs. I bet he doesn't. That is his boy and nobody wants him. Starting lineup will be KL/DD/RG/AB/JV and will be awful. His first priority should have been to dump bargs for any SF and then get anything for JC instead of dumping off the only raptor that has made a quantum leap in his game from one season to the next in 17 years. I would prefer KL/DD/??/ED/JV as a lineup.

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    sweet chocolate jesus christ on crutch would this trade go through already so I can stop checking hoopshype and twitter every ten god damn minutes
    +1 Million. This is nerve racking shit

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    You don't seem to be very high on Rudy Gay. Why is that? He was playing at pure all-star level before the shoulder injury. Actually, last season he was playing very well too. Many thought he was an all-star snub.
    Plus he's a key part of a great team in the west..

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    This is the thing I think people don't get. No one, Rudy Gay included, will re-sign unless young guys develop. What good is getting Rudy Gay if in 3 seasons, our young players aren't as good as we hoped? Then what good would it do to re-sign Gay (reasonable contract or not), especially if you believe as I do, that he's not a franchise player either??...probably also suited to being a 3rd option, maybe 2nd option. If that happens...we're going to be doing the exact same thing as we did with VC and Bosh, but with A WORSE TALENT. We need our young guys to develop as hoped. If not, this won't be an attractive destination even with Gay.
    It may take them more than just until next year, but still, I think it's much better for the team in the long run.
    First of all, ive pretty much given up on the whole franchise player bit when it comes to Toronto. No luck in the draft and have never persuaded one to sign through FA.

secondly, acquiring rudy gay IMO is preempting that these young guys do develop and possibly form the core of this team, with Gay as one of the anchors. If they do not show improvement with Gay next year, he can be made available as an expiring. What im saying is in comparison to Pierce, the possibility of resigning and continuing the building of the core of this group is better with Gay.

I dont think its the exact same thing with VC or Bosh. VC already had pieces around him, GM just botched what they already had. With Bosh, they considered him as a franchise player and kept semi-rebuilding around him. With Gay, i dont see it as acquiring a franchise player, and i think thats what sets off people when it comes to this trade. Gay is not a player who the Raps had in mind when they draft Ed, or JV or Ross or traded for Lowry. They were not readying this roster for Gay's arrival. It just so happened that a player like Gay, who IMO is the type of player that the Raps currently need to fill a gaping hole, and the Raps probably share this sentiment since theyre trying their darndest to acquire him, is suddenly available.

When VC signed the extension, how were the Raps able to convince him to sign that? Of course by promising to get the necessary pieces to help him win. When Bosh signed the extension, how were the Raps able to convince him to sign that? Of course by promising to get the necessary pieces to help him win. Dont you think theyd do the same when time comes for Gay to resign? And the good thing about it is on paper, he can see that this team has the pieces to be a good team, with him in it.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    That's like asking "why do I have to give my hard earned money to pay for this new car? why can't I just give you a hug instead and be done with it?"
    No its not. That's a terrible comparison
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    No its not. That's a terrible comparison
    It just means we're trying to get something of value (Gay....or car) in exchange for something with no value (Bargnani....or hugs). lol
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    It just means we're trying to get something of value (Gay....or car) in exchange for something with no value (Bargnani....or hugs). lol
    Bargs may not be valuable to us but he could really help another team. The dude is pretty fucking shit, but he's no kwame brown thats for sure.
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
    Plus he's a key part of a great team in the west..
    I sub-disagree. The team went further in the playoffs and seemed to play better basketball together on both ends of the court when he didn't play with the team during the 2011 playoffs. Look at last playoffs, that could be a huge example.

The team plays better running their offense mainly through their bigs, and playing inside out, rather than vice versa, and running their O through Gay.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Bargs may not be valuable to us but he could really help another team. The dude is pretty fucking shit, but he's no kwame brown thats for sure.
    Lol hahaha +1 "Pretty fucking shit" Way to be subtle and colourful.

Raptors Republic Starter themasao's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I don't think it solves the issues Memphis is looking to address with a Gay trade. They lack wing depth, shooting, and financial flexibility. Ed and Marion - assuming he picks up his $9M - also count for a little over $12M for next season while addressing none of the needs management has identified as issues.

I do like the trade, fwiw. Just don't think it addresses Memphis' reasons for trading Gay.
    Fair enough. I should clarify a few things though. I made this trade based on Woj's info (which we all know is almost never erroneous) naming Ed davis and Calderon as the central pieces coming out of Toronto.

If Memphis is trying to address wing depth and shooting, why are they trading Rudy Gay away in the first place? And why don't they want one of the leagues best shooter (Calderon) on an expiring deal?

Point is: I agree with you Matt. But if the stumbling block really is a team to take Calderon, I think this is the most realistic way for it to be done. Not a 100 player 10 team deal which lots of people seem to be proposing.

Not to mention, I'm pretty much indifferent on trading for Rudy Gay since Jose and Boss Davis are like my two favorite players on the Raptors. So it's not like I'm pining for it to get done or anything -- I'll be happy either way really.

Post Thanks / Like

Woj:

Memphis and Toronto pushing closer on deal to send Rudy Gay to the Raptors, sources tell Y! Sports. Raps would part with Calderon and Davis.

GET IT DONE!!
    Follow me on Twitter - @RRyan22

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Woj:

Memphis and Toronto pushing closer on deal to send Rudy Gay to the Raptors, sources tell Y! Sports. Raps would part with Calderon and Davis.

GET IT DONE!!
    oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god!

I'm screaming like a fat, white ratchet at the top of my lungs like I haven't seen my girlfriends for years. "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Lol hahaha +1 "Pretty fucking shit" Way to be subtle and colourful.
    i try

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The impatience could mean straight up deal still plenty of time Memphis may have something up their sleeve to get this done sooner rather than later.

Post Thanks / Like

No not Eddy noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

“The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Thread Information