Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay to debut for Raptors on Sunday [Post #727]

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Time for everyone to put their buyer's remorse aside. Whether Gay is having is worst year or he duplicates Derozan...these are crazy times. Remember that Mark Wahlberg movie where he was a huge fan of a band and then he became their lead singer? This is it. For more than a year, a very common thought from many on this forum was "Memphis probably can't afford Rudy Gay and we need a SF like Rudy Gay. Get it done". It made sense to everybody except the actual people who were in charge. Now it's done.

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...ground+running

Time to start the "let's get Kevin Durant" thread

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Based on the responses to this thread, I think it's safe to say you can't please everyone.

If at the beginning of the season someone had said Jose + ED for Gay, people would have been wetting themselves in excitement. Davis is having a very good season, but if you have give up something to get something.

I'm just glad we are done with the Jose love-affair and can start focusing on talent and winning games. Lowry, DD, Gay, JV and Ross makes a very nice stable to build around. If Bargnani can return to form and be traded for a real PF, that would be super as well.

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Based on the responses to this thread, I think it's safe to say you can't please everyone.

If at the beginning of the season someone had said Jose + ED for Gay, people would have been wetting themselves in excitement. Davis is having a very good season, but if you have give up something to get something.

I'm just glad we are done with the Jose love-affair and can start focusing on talent and winning games. Lowry, DD, Gay, JV and Ross makes a very nice stable to build around. If Bargnani can return to form and be traded for a real PF, that would be super as well.
    +1, good post. Looking forward to these next few weeks at what is gonna happen

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post

While I completely agree with your first sentence, to the bolded, those could easily be the same people that are wetting themselves in excitment now.

To the final paragraph. This team is focusing on 'talent' the same way it has for 7 years - short term. Thats the problem.

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

in the lead up to this trade i hated it.... but now that it's real, and i had a chance to sleep on it.... i dunno

kinda makes sense

calderon was solid, and he'll be missed... and i wouldn't wish detroit on my worst enemy... and Ed was coming along nicely

but really... what were the chances of the raps landing an upper middle tier or better SF through free agency, and what assets do they have that could have got one via trade?

Gay is a gamble... but at the end of the day, you can't worry about everyone supporting your decision, and do what's best for you... and hope your parents don't disown you.

i'll miss Ed on the team... but god damn, is he going to the right place for his career... to basically understudy under Marc Gasol and Z-Bo? in a few years, Davis is going to be a beast

i feel sorry for Jose though... i wouldn't wish Detroit on anybody.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    While I completely agree with your first sentence, to the bolded, those could easily be the same people that are wetting themselves in excitment now.

To the final paragraph. This team is focusing on 'talent' the same way it has for 7 years - short term. Thats the problem.
    I'd like to see what they do with DeMar and Bargnani before passing judgement. At 26 years of age Gay and Lowry are entering their primes while Ross/21 and JV/20 are scratching the surface.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    100% agree. I can't remember where I saw it, but one of the write-ups on the trade mentioned that in two years it's more than likely that Davis was the best player in the deal.

I just don't understand why the team feels the need to try to compete for a middling playoff spot. Without HUGE changes to this roster, even as it stands right now, the Raps have no chance of beating any of the elite teams in a 7 game series. So what's the point, other than BC trying to save his job and sell a few more tickets?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

A few quick notes:

1 - I like the trade for the Raptors. People are saying giving up what they gave up was a large price, but I disagree. Calderon is gone at the end of the season; if you don't trade him, you get nothing. Ed Davis is a good player, but he's not a great player. ED isn't even going to start for Memphis, and that's kind of the point here - Davis is a serviceable big, but he's no star. Gay, on the other hand, would start over 80% of the small forwards in the league.

2 - With that said, Gay's contract is overpriced. Then again, that's not a huge issue if you have one of them, but having doled out massive money to DeRozan and Bargnani (who have much worse contracts than Gay in terms of return on investment), the issue is bigger.

3 - If this is a precursor trade, any trade to move Bargs would make some sense, but trading DeRozan would make even more sense, crazy as that sounds. Committing to KL, Ross, and Gay would be light years better than most wing rotations Toronto has rolled out.

4 - Downside: this probably means AB has a role with this team, though one can always hope he also gets traded.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Feels real?? Do you work for MLSE or the refs who fix the game outcomes?
    Are you F****G serious?? You actually think this is a good deal and Gay brings 'it'?? So problem solved??
    Everyone gives BC a 'C-' on this deal and we actually got rubbed blind and you are happy?? Are you paid to post this??
    You loose a good point guard in Jose Calderon and a young talent in Ed Davis and get an over-paid , max player that is only maxed on 'hype' and you are happy??

Well, it is because of 'fans' like you (if you are a fan by the way) that this franchise continues to be mediocre at best. It is because of fans like you that we have no 'pride' or 'respect'.
    It is because of fans like you that no free agent wants to come to T.O. despite our best of the best facilities, fans (not you), and city itself. You are the type who readily boo the likes of VC and CB4 but take any wash-off and burnt/garbage player and elevate them to the levels of elite players and saviours and cheer them on when they go 1 of 15 every night.
    It is because of this that players allow themselves to ignore their signed contracts and make a mockery of our orgnaization. (where do I start: JO, Alonzo M, Hakeem O, .... the list goes on)

This my friend is what is 'real' ... next time , instead of insulting real fan's intelligence, just write 'it feels real, we got F****D real bad' ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    i feel sorry for Jose though... i wouldn't wish Detroit on anybody.
    Haha Amen.
    On the bright side, he can use whatever he was paying for his Condo in Toronto and buy something 20x bigger in Detroit. Haha Heck, he could probably buy a whole COndo building in Detroit for what he musta been paying here.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Haha Amen.
    On the bright side, he can use whatever he was paying for his Condo in Toronto and buy something 20x bigger in Detroit. Haha Heck, he could probably buy a whole COndo building in Detroit for what he musta been paying here.
    also, he can now buy malt liquor, eggs, condoms, and guns........ in the same store.

that there is the recipe for a good time.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm honestly shocked at all the negative comments regarding this trade. I really am.

We've been masquerading shit as legit NBA wings for so long, people have forgotten what a real player looks like.

Cap space has done nothing for us in the past. Trade exceptions have done nothing for us in the past. Chasing free agents have done nothing for us in the past. Who cares about Gay's overpriced salary. Let the billionaires pay some luxury tax if it means improving the roster. Why are fans concerned about saving Larry Tanenbaum money?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote bballAndrew wrote: View Post
    Are you F****G serious?? You actually think this is a good deal and Gay brings 'it'?? So problem solved??
    Everyone gives BC a 'C-' on this deal and we actually got rubbed blind and you are happy?? Are you paid to post this??
    You loose a good point guard in Jose Calderon and a young talent in Ed Davis and get an over-paid , max player that is only maxed on 'hype' and you are happy??

Well, it is because of 'fans' like you (if you are a fan by the way) that this franchise continues to be mediocre at best. It is because of fans like you that we have no 'pride' or 'respect'.
    It is because of fans like you that no free agent wants to come to T.O. despite our best of the best facilities, fans (not you), and city itself. You are the type who readily boo the likes of VC and CB4 but take any wash-off and burnt/garbage player and elevate them to the levels of elite players and saviours and cheer them on when they go 1 of 15 every night.
    It is because of this that players allow themselves to ignore their signed contracts and make a mockery of our orgnaization. (where do I start: JO, Alonzo M, Hakeem O, .... the list goes on)

This my friend is what is 'real' ... next time , instead of insulting real fan's intelligence, just write 'it feels real, we got F****D real bad' ...
    lol

Anyone have a Valium?

The whole idea of everyone is amusing to me. Problem in the media is if one person makes the opinion and another person follows it up then no one else says different. We saw it with Amir's contract, we saw it with Ross' selection, we saw it with JV's selection, we saw it with DeRozan's contract, and we saw it with Fields' contract. Right or wrong on the outcome of each transaction, selection, or decision the US media rarely displays an ability to give an informed or non-biased opinion of Toronto.

Seriously, take that Valium and lets see what else happens between now and February 21st.
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

i think what you meant to say is:

it feels real, we got F****D real bad...... in the bum.... because we just got Gay

these jokes write themselves people.... stop tip toeing around them

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I'm honestly shocked at all the negative comments regarding this trade. I really am.

We've been masquerading shit as legit NBA wings for so long, people have forgotten what a real player looks like.

Cap space has done nothing for us in the past. Trade exceptions have done nothing for us in the past. Chasing free agents have done nothing for us in the past. Who cares about Gay's overpriced salary. Let the billionaires pay some luxury tax if it means improving the roster. Why are fans concerned about saving Larry Tanenbaum money?
    this.

i agree completely.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    but really... what were the chances of the raps landing an upper middle tier or better SF through free agency, and what assets do they have that could have got one via trade?

Gay is a gamble... but at the end of the day, you can't worry about everyone supporting your decision, and do what's best for you... and hope your parents don't disown you.
    Yes, Rudy Gay is a gamble.

The Rockets gambled in the offseason - free agent signings of Asik and Lin. drafting Royce White, and trading for James Harden - and overall, I think it was worth it.

Hopefully it is the Raptors turn to be lucky.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

And let's not forget that once the season started, almost everyone acknowledged the roster redundancy in having both Amir and Davis, and agreed that one of them NEEDS to be traded this season.

That finally happens, and folks are acting like we just lost Karl Malone. I'm lost for words...
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

WOWzers ... one heck of a first post ... Probably not the best foot to get off with people around here though ... While I appreciate you are passionate in your stance, you can't go attacking others for having an opinion, let alone questioning if they are fans (seriously?!) and implying you are far more 'intelligent' for not sharing their opinion (again, seriously?!).

Secondly, if you ask me, a "real fan", as you say, should choose to form your own opinions, and not just feel something because "EVERYONE" else does. Especially when "EVERYONE" is usually American Media.
    Last edited by Joey; Thu Jan 31st, 2013 at 10:09 AM.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    WOWzers ... one heck of a first post ... Probably not the best foot to get off with people around here though ... While I appreciate you are passionate in your stance, you can't go attacking others for having an opinion, let alone questioning if they are fans (seriously?!) and implying you are far more 'intelligent' for not sharing their opinion (again, seriously?!).
    +1
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's just his opinion, and the majorities as well.
    #FREE

Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

Thread Information