Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast
Results 701 to 720 of 751

Thread: Gay to debut for Raptors on Sunday [Post #727]

  1. #701
    Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    1,316
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Haven't read all 35 pages of comments but really? People are upset? Jose is a class act one of the best to ever put on a uniform but we were going to lose him at the end of the season. Would you want to return to the team that constantly replaces you and openly tries to trade you year in and year out. This trade next season would equal out to Davis for Rudy gay and if anyone thinks that's a bad trade they need to brush up on their basketball knowledge.

  2. #702
    Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    1,316
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Also I was pretty upset with raptors.com today. Remember when we got turkoglu and they made the entire video of him with the jersey changing and the fans changing and it was really badass? Rudy gay just gets a page that says welcome.

  3. #703
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,966
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote tucas wrote: View Post
    Haven't read all 35 pages of comments but really? People are upset? Jose is a class act one of the best to ever put on a uniform but we were going to lose him at the end of the season. Would you want to return to the team that constantly replaces you and openly tries to trade you year in and year out. This trade next season would equal out to Davis for Rudy gay and if anyone thinks that's a bad trade they need to brush up on their basketball knowledge.
    Totally agree.

    Getting anything for Calderon was a win for the Raptors, let alone a potential allstar.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  4. #704
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Rudy Gay should do better and gain more recognition as an Eastern player than in the West if he wishes he can really make this team his own.

  5. #705
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote tucas wrote: View Post
    Haven't read all 35 pages of comments but really? People are upset? Jose is a class act one of the best to ever put on a uniform but we were going to lose him at the end of the season. Would you want to return to the team that constantly replaces you and openly tries to trade you year in and year out. This trade next season would equal out to Davis for Rudy gay and if anyone thinks that's a bad trade they need to brush up on their basketball knowledge.
    Personally, I am withholding judgment. If Gay is step one, and a guy like Paul Milsap is step two and prying away Gasol is step three and adding a Reddick at the SG spot to play off everyone is step 4, then I could get behind the WIN NOW meme. That team might be able to do something out East (at least for the next two years).

    If it's just Gay.... and hope for the best, well, then this move is pointless. I like Rudy Gay but he ain't adding 20 wins to this team.

  6. #706
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    116
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Signing Gay to Keep Lowry?

    I don't think I've seen this mentioned before in the forums, and if it has, feel free to delete this thread. Could BC's acquiring of Rudy Gay be a move to keep Lowry?

    Lowry's entering free agency in 2014 as a UFA and where he's basically up for grabs. Considering how much of a competitor he is, he might not sit idle on a team that's rebuilding. By getting Rudy (and I'm sure any additional key player will be acquired by deadline), BC is basically saying we're moving beyond rebuilding and looking to actually make a legit run at the playoffs. So come free agency, we might be able to sign Lowry onto a reasonable contract and not over pay because a) We're a competitive team and not some bottom feeder and b) Lowry is buddies with Gay.

    I know RR fans are divided on Lowry as starting PG, but the fact of the matter is he's better than a majority of the PGs in the league. Considering what was invested to acquire Lowry, it would make sense for BC to try to keep him. And signing Gay is BC's first step in this direction. Because let's face it, we're not bad enough this year to acquire a top notch lottery pick, and even if we did, relying on the draft is always a gamble (i.e. bargs). This year's FA would be the same as any other, no one would want to sign with raps given what we currently have (before the rudy trade) and we would probably end up overpaying if we did get someone.

    Thoughts?

  7. #707
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,706
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    When's the Press Conference?
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

  8. #708
    Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    1,524
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think part of this is about sending a message to Lowry, and the rest of the room, that he's our guy and we are going to build around him. Him and Gay are very tight, to the point that they live together in the summer, and the two of them probably already know how to play off each other. I think we are going to have to pay Lowry a lot of money to keep him but doing this like this to make his feel comfortable are good too. Plus, Gay is probably one of the 5 best players to ever put on a Raps uniform.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

  9. #709
    Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    1,316
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    When's the Press Conference?
    Rudy is expected sometime tomorrow afternoon. He'll probably have his press conference right before the game but won't play because players haven't done their physicals yet.

  10. #710
    Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    1,316
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My question is, if traded players can't play until EVERYONE in the trade has done a physical, how long before everyone is allowed to play because of Hadaddi? He can't get into Canada because he's from Iran and his current visa doesn't allow it. They're working with immigration lawyers but if he can't do his physical until after he gets permit into Canada, couldn't that be a long process?

  11. #711
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,966
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote tucas wrote: View Post
    My question is, if traded players can't play until EVERYONE in the trade has done a physical, how long before everyone is allowed to play because of Hadaddi? He can't get into Canada because he's from Iran and his current visa doesn't allow it. They're working with immigration lawyers but if he can't do his physical until after he gets permit into Canada, couldn't that be a long process?
    You don't need to be in Canada to get a physical. Our doctors could go to him (just to complete the transaction).
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  12. #712
    Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    2,247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote tucas wrote: View Post
    Rudy is expected sometime tomorrow afternoon. He'll probably have his press conference right before the game but won't play because players haven't done their physicals yet.
    Where did you hear that he won't play? I actually don't mind him not playing friday cause I'm gonna miss it

  13. #713
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,423
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Also, if the team has plans of just waiving him, or buying him out, then they have waive the Physical process completely.
    In Masai we Trust.

  14. #714
    Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    1,316
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
    Where did you hear that he won't play? I actually don't mind him not playing friday cause I'm gonna miss it
    It hasn't been made official yet, but both raptorsMR and BC have said its a long shot. Not enough time between his arrival and the game to do a physical+ not sure what others players situations in the trades are and whether they've completed theirs yet.

  15. #715
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think this move was made because of Bells/Rogers.

    From what I heard, a big reason why they fired Burke from the Leafs is that he wasn't willing to give up some of his assets for Luongo who I believe was a perennial all-star (I don't watch hockey like I used to growing up).

    The Blue Jays made a huge splash netting them multiple perennial all-stars with their trade.

    I think Gay is in line with what those other teams did. Grab a big named player (or players) to help market the team around. That is why I don't think Gay is the last move. I wouldn't be surprised if Gasol was traded for as well for example.

    Not sure if it's the right strategy or if I'm off base.. but I like owners who think like a big market team and not a small market team.

  16. #716
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    3,837
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This makes 37 Million worth it. We've acquired one of the clutches players in the league. 6 Game winners. 3 of them being buzzer beaters. How impressive is that? Lebron has only ever made two buzzer beaters in his 10 year career.

    @Chr1st1anL

  17. #717
    Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,008
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Totally agree wit Tucas 2 last post and Chr1s1anL last one.

  18. #718
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hope he can play against Clippers on Friday I want to see him ASAP and we play Miami soon so that should be exciting.

  19. #719
    Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,299
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    good trade ed is going to do big things but we were deep at that postion and jose is a hugh lost as he was playing like a all star but it improves our team overall. get andrea out of here along with kleiza for a solid piece or very high draft pick/s and we are good to go. even tho i think andrea may fit well now that he will not be the go to guy he still needs to go. get me boozer, josh smith, or faried with a draft pick and i will be happy.

  20. #720
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    18,853
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote tucas wrote: View Post
    My question is, if traded players can't play until EVERYONE in the trade has done a physical, how long before everyone is allowed to play because of Hadaddi? He can't get into Canada because he's from Iran and his current visa doesn't allow it. They're working with immigration lawyers but if he can't do his physical until after he gets permit into Canada, couldn't that be a long process?
    Teams can always waive the physical.

    I don't think Hadaddi ever suits up for Toronto and I think he stays on the roster until after trade deadline unless he is waived before to do a 2-for-1 type trade or 3-for-2.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •