No announcement yet.

Gay to debut for Raptors on Sunday [Post #727]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm feeling like it being so public is a bad thing. Not just driving up the asking price, but also gets other interested parties actively trying to acquire Gay before we do.

Comment

• If the asking price is Calderon and Ed Davis do it if it isnt and its something more valuable like Calderon and TRoss or JV dont tell them to go Fuck themselves again. TBH If we dont land Gay then just focusing on moving the remnants of the losing culture (Calderon and Bargnani) for Picks and young pprospects move DeRozan to 3 and start Ross.

Because the core is a good one why cant we just build around that? (DeRozan, Davis, JV Ross) BC has to be very carefulcome February but Im really excited for when something finally happens cause as a fan you can tell something is on its way.

Comment

• It must be a very slow news day... there is really nothing new to report from Stein. It seems like a big waste of time to me. Okay sure Toronto is interested, but how is that different from a few weeks back? Is ESPN trying to create another Dwightmare scenario but with Rudy Gay? The only difference is that Gay is being very professional about it.

Would I want Rudy Gay? Yeah sure for the right price. Do I have faith that Bryan will do what's right for the team both short term and long term? Nope. None at all.

Comment

• One plus is that the Celtics know that Lowry is off the table if Jose Calderon is traded. So this Gay stuff in the news might help us -- although I still don't think the Celtics have much to offer a team at our caliber/stage.
          your pal,
          ebrian

Comment

• Lark Benson wrote: View Post
            First off, I gotta say, don't get your hopes up. Memphis didn't dump a ton of salary in their earlier deal just to turn around and ship Gay out weeks later. Their fans will riot.

Secondly, I really don't understand the interest in Rudy Gay. Are we forgetting that he's a slightly above average SF? That he coasts on D, doesn't shoot with any kind of consistency, doesn't create for others, and isn't a #1 option even though he's paid like it? Why do people like this guy so much? Literally all he does is use up a lot of possessions with bad iso-ball jumpers. Did you know that right now he and DeMar have about the same percentage of shots taken at the rim vs. jumpers, and that Gay draws fewer fouls? This year his eFG% on those jumpers is .318.

.318!!!!

I get that talent is the problem, but Rudy Gay isn't the answer. In my opinion the Raps would be better off being patient and waiting for a REAL star to become available. Unfortunately Colangelo is the GM, so you can instead expect him to begin selling off the youth for mediocre vets the second he makes a deal for Gay.
            This!

Rudy Gay is overrated and severely overpaid. Getting him at the cost of Davis/Calderon/another piece does not guarantee the Raptors make the playoffs this season or beyond, but it does burn up assets and financial flexibility for the future. And I know this board is mostly pro-Lowry but Calderon has been arguably the team's best player this season and Davis isn't too far behind. Removing them from the line-up will have it's downside too.

And is anyone concerned at all what this will do from a team chemistry standpoint?

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
              I said this before i'd trade ANYONE on this team for Gay EXCEPT T-Ross and JV.
              +1 (times infinity) to the power of infinity squared.

I couldn't agree more.

Comment

• I mentioned this on the main page, but I could see Gay in Toronto having a similar impact as Harden in Houston. I could see Gay thriving in an offense designed around him. And yes, we'd FIIIIINNNNAAAALLLLLYYY be able to close games.

Comment

• How do Rudy Gay's numbers compare to Landry Fields', since that is whom he will be replacing in the starting line up? Looks like a big positive to me.

I don't think there is anything to fear with chemistry. Lowry and Gay are already familiar with each other for one, and he's a young cat like the rest of the team so they should be fine getting along. On court wise it will take a bit of time to adjust, but Gay has gotten used to playing where he's not the number one option, so I don't see it as an issue. May take a little while, but it's not like we're in a hurry to get anywhere this season.

I understand why some are hesitant about this trade, but if it doesn't work out with Gay he will still be a trading chip. It's not like he's making huge dollars and isn't producing at all right? I mean even Gilbert Arenas was traded from Washington to Orlando and J.O. from Indiana to Toronto and then to Miami. Both players were damaged goods with huge contracts, but even as expiring contracts they have value.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    I mentioned this on the main page, but I could see Gay in Toronto having a similar impact as Harden in Houston. I could see Gay thriving in an offense designed around him. And yes, we'd FIIIIINNNNAAAALLLLLYYY be able to close games.
                    I think Gay is a good player but trading for him is just adding another handcuff to the treadmill.

Individually, trading for him is fine. In the macro picture its a waste of time.

Fire Colangelo now, before he can sacrifice anymore of this teams future. We shouldn't scuttle the ship because the captain is lost. Just throw him overboard.

Comment

• If we keep Lowry then I'm all for pairing him up with Rudy Gay. It's not the most ideal situation and I know I'm in the blow it up side of things, but since we've pretty much done nothing in the rebuilding department over the past year, we may as well give this one a shot.

The key here is that the talent level increases.

A lot of people talk about the treadmill. We aren't even on that thing yet.
                      your pal,
                      ebrian

Comment

• I'm torn. On the one hand, I like Davis' development, on the other, Gay could thrive here and give us that closer we so desperately need. I wish Demar wasn't signed to his ridiculous contract. I wish Landry wasn't signed to a ridiculous one as well. In that regard, it makes Gay's potential entry into the Raps salary books more palatable.
                        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• Craiger wrote: View Post
                          I think Gay is a good player but trading for him is just adding another handcuff to the treadmill.

Individually, trading for him is fine. In the macro picture its a waste of time.

Fire Colangelo now, before he can sacrifice anymore of this teams future. We shouldn't scuttle the ship because the captain is lost. Just throw him overboard.
                          My assumption is that the really ugly contracts (like Kleiza, Bargnani, and DeRozan) will be eventually removed if Gay is acquired. Thus, keeping the handcuffs off.

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
                            This!

Rudy Gay is overrated and severely overpaid. Getting him at the cost of Davis/Calderon/another piece does not guarantee the Raptors make the playoffs this season or beyond, but it does burn up assets and financial flexibility for the future. And I know this board is mostly pro-Lowry but Calderon has been arguably the team's best player this season and Davis isn't too far behind. Removing them from the line-up will have it's downside too.

And is anyone concerned at all what this will do from a team chemistry standpoint?
                            With Davis and Calderon, does that guarantee them a playoff berth, this season or beyond?
                            OK, considering Calderon is arguably the best player this season and Davis is not far behind, what is that currently doing for the team? Are the Raps in the top of the standings? Secured a playoff spot? With Calderon and Davis at the helm? I agree, of course removing them will have a downside, but with them here, its currently not taking the team anywhere, do you agree?

Again, sure there is chemistry, but where is this chemistry taking the team? Is chemistry taking them to the playoffs? Calderon has been here for 8 years, with 2 playoff appearances. He does bring chemistry to the team but unfortunately it doesnt equal post season.

Justification:

If Gay to Toronto doesnt work out:
                            2 years and Raps get $20mil in cap space
                            1 year he's a tradeable asset as $20mil expiring
                            In 2 years, if Ed continues his play, would you be willing to give him a big fat contract? And if what you see now is his ceiling, are you prepared to make him a cornerstone of your franchise moving forward?

Lowry/Demar/Gay/Bargnani/JV

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
                              If we keep Lowry then I'm all for pairing him up with Rudy Gay. It's not the most ideal situation and I know I'm in the blow it up side of things, but since we've pretty much done nothing in the rebuilding department over the past year, we may as well give this one a shot.

The key here is that the talent level increases.

A lot of people talk about the treadmill. We aren't even on that thing yet.
                              +1.

When people talk about Atlanta being on the "treadmill of mediocrity", well, at least they make the playoffs year after year, which, if it happened to Toronto, would make crazy revenues for playoff games. The Raps keep avoiding the "treadmill of mediocrity" when in fact theyre already on the "treadmill of no-playoffs" year after year. What would you prefer? The problem with Atlanta was they stuck with the same group and didnt try to make major changes to get them to the 2nd round. If the GM's goal is just to make the playoffs every year then yeah that is a stinker but if the Raps keep making the playoffs the GM should constantly find deals to take the team to the next round.

Comment

• Trading for Rudy Gay flies in the face of everything I've been spewing of late (draft picks, draft picks, draft picks).

But here is how I look at the Rudy situation: if I had to pay Rudy Gay $18M next year or Bargnani/DeRozan $18M (a little more actually), I'd rather pay Gay. So acquiring Gay would have to be the first of another move or two leaving the core of the team to be Lowry, Ross, Gay, Amir, JV with JL, Fields, AA, Arthur, Gray/Acy off the bench.

So if Calderon/ED brings you Gay what does DeRozan and Bargnani bring to you?

Comment

Working...
                                X