Gay to debut for Raptors on Sunday [Post #727]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Your first 2 paragraphs have been discussed to death - no offense.

But the last sentence is key. If you can get Gay for, essentially, just ED and taking on a large contract (because lets face it, any real flexibility was lost with DeRozan's extension) I think you do it.
    I wouldnt worry too much about it TRex.

BC has been known to have a chip on his shoulder.

hahahahahhahaha ive been waiting for that all day!!!!!!

Comment

• Is it a pipe dream for Josh Smith to come here next? A man can dream right?
      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
        I wouldnt worry too much about it TRex.

BC has been known to have a chip on his shoulder.

hahahahahhahaha ive been waiting for that all day!!!!!!
        You vindictive moth....... er, hahaha, yeah, ummmm, you got me

Comment

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Several league officials tell Y! Sports that Memphis has a plan to route Jose Calderon to a third team for assets in Rudy Gay deal.

DING DONG! SHIT IS ON!
          If the deal does go through, i think we should flood Gay's twitter with love notes and creepy we love you messages.

At least thats what im doing! hahahahahahahaha

Lets go BC!!!!!!!

Comment

• Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
            Is it a pipe dream for Josh Smith to come here next? A man can dream right?
            Well, Calderon and ED for Gay was a pipe dream not very long ago.... like a few days.

Comment

You vindictive moth....... er, hahaha, yeah, ummmm, you got me

Double Snap!

Comment

• TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                You got me confused here. Shouldnt it be that im underestimating free agency because i dont think theres really anything for the Raptors there and overestimating trades because id much rather go the trade route than pin our hopes on waiting for two big contracts to get off the books?

Ok to play your game, say we get Gasol and Pierce and next year you value them as two expiring + a pick, how do you plan on selling a 37 year old with a 15mil contract, and a 33 year old with the 19mil contract to teams, when at current, we have a 32 year old with only a 10mil expiring contract and cant even find him any takers? If you do plan to trade them for say somebody better than Rudy Gay, and you said better, not potentially better, what team would be willing to release such a quality player? Specially now with teams very conscientious of the new CBA and making sure their payroll is in line, how easy do you think it would be to find a team who hasnt gone through the salary dump yet?
                What I meant was this:
                Free agency is a crapshoot. The best teams are always active with trades. Free agency is usually best reserved for rounding out a roster, not creating a core. You were talking about how getting Gay would help us lure free agency down the line, and that no one would want to join a team losing two star vets. But I wasn't stressing how their contracts would free up capspace, I was stressing that they are much better trade chips than Jose or Andrea, basically, and if we can get them without giving up any young assets, we'll be in a very strong position next year to make deals that don't smack of desperation.

Comment

Well, Calderon and ED for Gay was a pipe dream not very long ago.... like a few days.
                  What if it's for this?

MOTHERF....... TRADE!!!

Then what?
                  “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                    What if it's for this?

MOTHERF....... TRADE!!!

Then what?
                    And in the end Josh Smith decides to test FA market
                    (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

• japetas wrote: View Post
                      And in the end Josh Smith decides to test FA market
                      Obviously with the understanding that he signs with Toronto. Not that I want Ross out of anything...

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                        Only problem now is, We need a PF for the future. Il Crapo ain't gonna cut it, and Amir Johnson is nothing more than an energy big off the bench. I thought we really had somethin going with Eddy and Big V but it was never meant to be
                        As starter AJ is putting up 17pts 9.5rebs 1.6Blk 2.4Ast 1.4Stl .813 FT .579 FG in 8 games

Scouting report
                        + Long big man who is a very effective finisher at the basket. Good shot-blocker.
                        + Foul-prone due to lack of strength and high base. Illegal screens a problem.
                        + Can make midrange set shot. Little post game or ball skills. Good rebounder.

Analysis
                        The Raptors' renewed focus on defense was perhaps most apparent with Johnson, who was dramatically more effective at that end than in previous seasons. While he still occasionally gets pummeled in physical matchups, Johnson rated among the top quarter of centers, according to Synergy, and the Raptors gave up 3.2 points per 100 possessions fewer with him on the court, according to 82games.com.

Johnson still fouls too much -- nearly once every seven minutes last season -- but he had strong rates of blocks and rebounds, especially for a power forward. (He was often forced to play center last season.)

Offensively, his numbers dropped off a bit, but he remains a potent finisher (72.4 percent in the basket area). His biggest problem now is his penchant for illegal screens on high screen-and-rolls, which caused his turnover ratio to nearly double from the season before. Johnson's slow-release push shot from midrange wasn't quite as accurate as the previous season, either, but overall he posted his fourth straight season with a true shooting percentage greater than 60 -- an impressive accomplishment.

Given that efficiency, he doesn't need to provide that much defense to be a worthwhile player. He has the chops to provide it as a full-time 4 this season, so if he can just cut out the illegal screens, he'll have a lot of value.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

Third team not yet in stone but Pistons have had interest in Calderon all season & have two SFs to help MEM fill Gay void: Prince & Maggette

Comment

• Bruce Arthur ‏@bruce_arthur

Rudy Gay deal is indeed headed to the MLSE board.
                              Retweeted by Eric Koreen

Comment

• Back to a two team trade??

Comment

Working...
                                X