Gay to debut for Raptors on Sunday [Post #727]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signing Gay to Keep Lowry?

I don't think I've seen this mentioned before in the forums, and if it has, feel free to delete this thread. Could BC's acquiring of Rudy Gay be a move to keep Lowry?

Lowry's entering free agency in 2014 as a UFA and where he's basically up for grabs. Considering how much of a competitor he is, he might not sit idle on a team that's rebuilding. By getting Rudy (and I'm sure any additional key player will be acquired by deadline), BC is basically saying we're moving beyond rebuilding and looking to actually make a legit run at the playoffs. So come free agency, we might be able to sign Lowry onto a reasonable contract and not over pay because a) We're a competitive team and not some bottom feeder and b) Lowry is buddies with Gay.

I know RR fans are divided on Lowry as starting PG, but the fact of the matter is he's better than a majority of the PGs in the league. Considering what was invested to acquire Lowry, it would make sense for BC to try to keep him. And signing Gay is BC's first step in this direction. Because let's face it, we're not bad enough this year to acquire a top notch lottery pick, and even if we did, relying on the draft is always a gamble (i.e. bargs). This year's FA would be the same as any other, no one would want to sign with raps given what we currently have (before the rudy trade) and we would probably end up overpaying if we did get someone.

Thoughts?

Comment

• When's the Press Conference?

Comment

• I think part of this is about sending a message to Lowry, and the rest of the room, that he's our guy and we are going to build around him. Him and Gay are very tight, to the point that they live together in the summer, and the two of them probably already know how to play off each other. I think we are going to have to pay Lowry a lot of money to keep him but doing this like this to make his feel comfortable are good too. Plus, Gay is probably one of the 5 best players to ever put on a Raps uniform.
        "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
          When's the Press Conference?
          Rudy is expected sometime tomorrow afternoon. He'll probably have his press conference right before the game but won't play because players haven't done their physicals yet.

Comment

• My question is, if traded players can't play until EVERYONE in the trade has done a physical, how long before everyone is allowed to play because of Hadaddi? He can't get into Canada because he's from Iran and his current visa doesn't allow it. They're working with immigration lawyers but if he can't do his physical until after he gets permit into Canada, couldn't that be a long process?

Comment

• tucas wrote: View Post
              My question is, if traded players can't play until EVERYONE in the trade has done a physical, how long before everyone is allowed to play because of Hadaddi? He can't get into Canada because he's from Iran and his current visa doesn't allow it. They're working with immigration lawyers but if he can't do his physical until after he gets permit into Canada, couldn't that be a long process?
              You don't need to be in Canada to get a physical. Our doctors could go to him (just to complete the transaction).

Comment

Rudy is expected sometime tomorrow afternoon. He'll probably have his press conference right before the game but won't play because players haven't done their physicals yet.
                Where did you hear that he won't play? I actually don't mind him not playing friday cause I'm gonna miss it

Comment

• Also, if the team has plans of just waiving him, or buying him out, then they have waive the Physical process completely.

Comment

• Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
                    Where did you hear that he won't play? I actually don't mind him not playing friday cause I'm gonna miss it
                    It hasn't been made official yet, but both raptorsMR and BC have said its a long shot. Not enough time between his arrival and the game to do a physical+ not sure what others players situations in the trades are and whether they've completed theirs yet.

Comment

• I think this move was made because of Bells/Rogers.

From what I heard, a big reason why they fired Burke from the Leafs is that he wasn't willing to give up some of his assets for Luongo who I believe was a perennial all-star (I don't watch hockey like I used to growing up).

The Blue Jays made a huge splash netting them multiple perennial all-stars with their trade.

I think Gay is in line with what those other teams did. Grab a big named player (or players) to help market the team around. That is why I don't think Gay is the last move. I wouldn't be surprised if Gasol was traded for as well for example.

Not sure if it's the right strategy or if I'm off base.. but I like owners who think like a big market team and not a small market team.

Comment

• This makes 37 Million worth it. We've acquired one of the clutches players in the league. 6 Game winners. 3 of them being buzzer beaters. How impressive is that? Lebron has only ever made two buzzer beaters in his 10 year career.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Totally agree wit Tucas 2 last post and Chr1s1anL last one.

Comment

• Hope he can play against Clippers on Friday I want to see him ASAP and we play Miami soon so that should be exciting.

Comment

• good trade ed is going to do big things but we were deep at that postion and jose is a hugh lost as he was playing like a all star but it improves our team overall. get andrea out of here along with kleiza for a solid piece or very high draft pick/s and we are good to go. even tho i think andrea may fit well now that he will not be the go to guy he still needs to go. get me boozer, josh smith, or faried with a draft pick and i will be happy.

Comment

My question is, if traded players can't play until EVERYONE in the trade has done a physical, how long before everyone is allowed to play because of Hadaddi? He can't get into Canada because he's from Iran and his current visa doesn't allow it. They're working with immigration lawyers but if he can't do his physical until after he gets permit into Canada, couldn't that be a long process?
                                Teams can always waive the physical.

I don't think Hadaddi ever suits up for Toronto and I think he stays on the roster until after trade deadline unless he is waived before to do a 2-for-1 type trade or 3-for-2.

Comment

Working...
                                X